“If you are 20, you'll LOVE this place”
Review of The Circus Hostel

The Circus Hostel
Ranked #3 of 362 Speciality Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed 14 September 2017

I am not 20 years old. But if I was this would be the place to stay. In the effort to save money (and also, because it was all they had) I stayed in a ten room dorm. Which is great if you want to do E, dance at clubs and try to get laid.

However, if you'd like to sleep without alcohol in your system, get up early, and tackle the crazy berlin city in the morning then stay somewhere more private.

I am aware that most hostels with big dorm rooms like this will be geared to the partying crowd (my 20 year old self is jealous). But it's loud. You are on a busy street and the noise from honks and sirens and people yelling will keep you up if you aren't wearing industrial sized headphones.

The breakfast is not included but it is very good, with loads of fruit and muesli and meat, etc. And it is affordable. The bar downstairs is nice. It's a bar. Not necessarily quaint but you can get a pint or two (in one glass) and watch the mix of chaos in front of you.

The staff is great. Very attentive and honest. The second morning I was there, I woke up to find my money belt (with my passport) missing. I freaked, of course, and prayed that it was somewhere deep in my backpack. Had I left it in the bathroom? Did someone take it while I was sleeping? Was I going to miss my next train because I'd have to get a new passport at the embassy? And my bus pass was in there too? How am I going to get around? I have no money, no passport, no bus pass! Why, God, WHY?!!

After tearing apart everything (three times), I headed down to the front desk just to check, just in case...And there it was, in their possession. The cleaning crew had found it in the bathroom and handed it over (everything was in it).

F the noise, the sirens, the drunken idiots stumbling into the room. These guys are awesome.

BUT, if you happen to be more careful than I, and want a peaceful night's sleep, try a hotel. Or at least a smaller room.

Room Tip: go for a 4 bed room at least.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,292)

Reviewed 9 September 2017

Stayed for two nights and found the rooms to be spacious and beds were comfortable. The hostel is very secure and only enables you to access different floors and rooms with the key card. When checking out, I didn't receive my passport back which was acting as a deposit. This caused a lot of panic after I realised once arrived in Hamburg. Fortunately the staff were very cooperative and helped me arrange for a courier service for it to be delivered. A big thank you to them, they definitely went above their duties!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

Cannot recommend this place enough. I was in a 8 bed dorm which was clean and had a lot of space with shower / toilet facilities right opposite the room. The bed was comfortable and they provided a big comfortable pillow (which is a big perk as a lot of hostels just give small, worn down ones). Great location with lots of stuff to do! I would recommend a walking tour that the hostel informs you about as it's a good way to see Berlin and the history behind it (tip based). A connivence shop opposite the building and bars and restaurants just down the street. The micro brewery is what makes this place special, a great way to socialise and the beer was great!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

Overall this place was great. The bar downstairs was a great place to meet people and socialise. Location is great. Facilities pretty good. I did have an unfortunate experience where the cleaners thought my bed was empty and made it up, leading another guest to also think it was empty and rip the lock off the box. The contents of the box were all at reception for me but it was a highly unpleasant experience to realise someone has been through all your stuff. I'm sure it was just a weird mix up

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 August 2017

The hostel is well located, which means it's 30 seconds away from the the metro station, the tram and a bunch of nice restaurants, bars and a grocery store. The staff is great: super helpful and friendly. Recommend staying at Circus :)

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends