“It would be great if all hotels were run this way.”

Mercure Hotel & Residenz Berlin Checkpoint Charlie
Ranked #34 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Menstrie, United Kingdom
“It would be great if all hotels were run this way.”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We had a couple of nights here. Check-in was smooth. Rooms are big and modern and fresh. The windows open for cool air. The room is quality - 50% larger than the norm. The price of the room and breakfast was exceptional - very good value.

The breakfast spread was also very good. They do not do a lot of hot - but the range of bread, cereal, cheese, fruit, juices etc. was more than I could stuff into my cheek pouches.
Alcohol prices were high - that reflected central Berlin prices.

Internet access pricing was very poor. They were wanting up to £7 per day. That is not acceptable. Free access only in the lobby is poor service. This is the only criticism I can level at the hotel. If they sort that, I will come back for my holidays year after year after year.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I spent last week in Berlin visiting with my brother (who lives in Budapest). Each of us took a room at the Mercure Hotel & Residenz Berlin Checkpoint Charlie. The hotel was reasonably priced, centrally located, and provided exceptional service. The hotel staff was extremely helpful and responsive. The hotel rooms were large and attractively furnished. My brother's room (222) was a smoking room and had a balcony. (All rooms are non-smoking except those on the second floor.) My room (616) was near the elevator on the sixth floor, but was very quiet for restful sleep. Both rooms overlooked different and attractive courtyards. The breakfast buffet (included in the price of the room) was extraordinary, with a large variety of hot and cold foods of high quality. The common areas of the hotel (the breakfast room, bar and lobby) were decorated attractively with modern furnishings. There was a computer in the lobby for the personal and business use of the guests. The hotel location in Mitte was within walking distance of all the areas I had wanted to see (such as Museuminsel, the Reichstag, the Brandenberg Gate, the Tiergarten, Potsdammer Platz and the Philharmonie, the Jewish Museum and the New Synagog, Nicolaiviertel and Alexanderplatzplatz). There were great restaurants near the hotel, and one of the best chocolate stores in Europe (Fassbender & Rausch) just a short walk away. The rate for the hotel was extremely reasonable. I will unquestionably stay at this hotel whenever I return to Berlin.

One minor criticism: while there was free wireless access (as well as the one wireline computer for guest use) in the hotel lobby, the quality of the wireless connection in the room (for which there was a charge) was not very good. (Shortly after trying the room wireless connection, I cancelled my order for a full refund.)

Room Tip: All rooms are non-smoking except those on the second floor. Room 222 (and I thus assume the 22 rooms...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mark111746
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 April 2012

One of the best hotels I have stayed in. The room was brilliant,the service was excellent and very friendly. Great value for money.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
stockport
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Whilst I was flying home back to Manchester from my first ever visit to Berlin, I thought to myself that I would make the effort to add a positive comment on Tripadvisor about this hotel, something I have not been moved to do for many of the hotels my wife and I have previously encountered.
We both thought that when we return to Berlin later this year ( the place impressed us immensely) we would most certainly be staying again at the Mercure, Checkpoint Charlie.
Everything about the hotel was perfect for us.The location in the Mitte district, the helpfulness, friendliness and cheerfulness of the staff--at reception, in the bar, during breakfast--was exemplary. The room was very well appointed, clean, very comfortable and QUIET! ( A BIG plus for me !) It all combined to make our stay in Berlin a joy...to the extent that when we return, I would not consider an alternative.
What was also a nice surprise, was that on turning on my emails upon my return, there was one from the Hotel waiting for me ( further cementing my good impressions) welcoming me home and hoping that I had had an enjoyable stay....
Yes, I had!!
And I let them know it !!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank quickbrew
Travellers also viewed these Berlin hotels
Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Checkpoint Charlie
#32 of 634 in Berlin
Novotel Berlin Mitte
Novotel Berlin Mitte
#77 of 634 in Berlin

Been to Mercure Hotel & Residenz Berlin Checkpoint Charlie? Share your experiences!