“Good Value”

Ranked #68 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
windlesham
“Good Value”
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Spent two nights in late October at this Motel One. Was very satisfied. Basic room but quiet (overlooking back garden). Despite the number of rooms, the buffet breakfast was typically German and well organised. Three separate buffets on the ground floor and plenty of seating and staff to clear plates. Location near Main station was important for me. Check-in was friendly. Good value for money if you don't need space, minibar, phone, etc.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Haacht, Belgium
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Location is just 100 metres away from the Main station in Berlin. So no need for taxi to get to your hotel. Brand new hotel, superclean but rather small rooms. Excellent beds. And the TV which shows an aquarium when it is not on, is a nice touch.
Very effecient and friendly staff. I was checked in and in my room in less then 5 minutes. Hotel has a nice terras and garden and a nice park around the corner. Breakfast was also OK.
Overall very good option when you are staying Berlin. From the main station you can take every possible public transport.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Molde
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Before I ever got here I had reservations because my wife booked this hotel. and told me it was a motel, very near a train station in a large city. It just conjured up the usual image of a sordid, dirty establishment, dull and dingy and full of the local detritus from the less salubrious parts of the city. Not at all and I must publicly apologise to my better half!!

The hotel is newly built and I was impressed by the lay out. We arrived late evening. Check in was efficient. They didn't offer a restaurant but they do rather good toasties at the bar. I loved the fact you could sit anywhere inside or out. This goes for the superb breakfast too. People were sat in the reception area, outside in various areas of the well designed garden and in the breakfast area close to the food and many other places too. Gives one a sense of freedom and lends itself to a nice calm atmosphere. The breakfast was of good quality. They had three proper coffee machines where you could select not just black coffee but Latte and other options. The cold meats were all quality & everything else was good too. The catering staff busied themselves making sure all was topped up and clean.

Our room (Zimmer 0547) was just right. The TV had proper channels not just a few freeview ones - this was very welcome. The free internet Wi/Fi in the room is something I expect this day and age but sadly, get very seldom. No problem here though & we found it quite fast enough. The beds I notice, have been crticised as being too hard. Well, I suppose it's down to personal choice. I agree the bed was hard - but not in a sleeping on a piece of concrete kind of way. It was so comfortable and such a change from the normally sagging, cheaply sprung mattresses you get everywhere else in europe, where you and your partner end up both in the middle and getting out of bed is like trying to pull yourself out of a swimming pool!
I read somewhere the rooms are insulated against noise and that would explain my good night's sleep because I didn't hear a sound, though it has to be said, I was a little tired from travelling.

Although I have given 5 stars to this hotel I do have a fairly important criticism. We left the hotel after our one night, in transit. The account was settled - all very nice, thank you. When we arrived in Sardinia, my wife discovered an E mail saying Motel One was taking over a hundred Euros for a 'No Show'. We didn't have good access to the internet out there (nothing in our hotel) so this wasn't what we needed as it was difficult to get access to the net even in the internet cafe. After E mail messages back and forth, it was sorted out but only after we gave them details about our stay and quoting the receipt number. Mistakes can happen but being asked to prove we turned up was at the least unprofessional and was very accusatory in tone. An apology would have been the minimum appropriate redress for this error.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EngelskRikky
Buenos Aires
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Brand new hotel, which is an advantage now.Let's see in a few years.... Rooms small with no place for lugagge, but good enough. The self-closing door of the bathroom bothers a little. We have to put something heavy to keep it opened.
Location is perfect because at the main station you have the U and S trains going everywhere and also buses: Brandenburger Tor, the Bundestag, Zoo Garten, Alexander Platz.... You have a big supermarket half block, on Invalidenstrasse.
Staff is Ok. We were lucky because there is an spanish receptionist (we are from Argentina) and she was very nice.
Breakfast was ok but a little expensive considering what they offer. We also don't like that place for breakfast is very close to reception. People checking out is in the middle of your way to bread and mermelade.
Outside cons are the noise of the ambulances (there is a hospital nearby) and the Invalidenstrasse has a lot of traffic and dangerous to cross. To go to the station, on rush hours, you spend 10 minutes crossing the streets, waiting for at least 5 changes of green lights.
But, despite all these small inconvenciences, the hotel is a good option for train travellers and for businessmen.
Oh! I forgot.... we also loved the e-quarium on the TV when you get into the room the first time!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank siemprelista
Berlin, Deutschland
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Surprisingly this hotel is still one of the very few ones in walking distance to Berlin main station. The hotel was built very recently, the building is pretty stylish and modern. My room and also the bathroom were larger than expected, with a nice view to Berlin main station (8th floor).

Wifi is free (54 Mbit/s) and worked fine. I didn't miss a telephone - nowadays almost everyone has a notebook with Skype or a mobile phone. There is no minibar in the room but the shops in the main station are open till late in the evening.

The bed is very large and comfortable.

Breakfast was fine but pretty noisy as the entrance hall was the place for having breakfast, and people were checking out from the hotel which was booked out.

The hotel is next to a famous former prison which is now a park ("Geschichtspark Ehemaliges Zellengefängnis Moabit", find more here:
The park is worth a visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors to have a better view and to get a more quiet room