Motel One Berlin-Hauptbahnhof
USD 165*
USD 149*
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewscentral stationtrain travellersan aquariumsmall desktegel airportexcellent locationnice lobbyreichstag and brandenburg gateshort staybreakfast buffetclean roomswalking distancelounge areawifi is freepublic transportcomfy bedminute walk
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Location is just 100 metres away from the Main station in Berlin. So no need for taxi to get to your hotel. Brand new hotel, superclean but rather small rooms. Excellent beds. And the TV which shows an aquarium when it is not on, is a nice touch.
Very effecient and friendly staff. I was checked in and in my room in less then 5 minutes. Hotel has a nice terras and garden and a nice park around the corner. Breakfast was also OK.
Overall very good option when you are staying Berlin. From the main station you can take every possible public transport.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Before I ever got here I had reservations because my wife booked this hotel. and told me it was a motel, very near a train station in a large city. It just conjured up the usual image of a sordid, dirty establishment, dull and dingy and full of the local detritus from the less salubrious parts of the city. Not at all and I must publicly apologise to my better half!!

The hotel is newly built and I was impressed by the lay out. We arrived late evening. Check in was efficient. They didn't offer a restaurant but they do rather good toasties at the bar. I loved the fact you could sit anywhere inside or out. This goes for the superb breakfast too. People were sat in the reception area, outside in various areas of the well designed garden and in the breakfast area close to the food and many other places too. Gives one a sense of freedom and lends itself to a nice calm atmosphere. The breakfast was of good quality. They had three proper coffee machines where you could select not just black coffee but Latte and other options. The cold meats were all quality & everything else was good too. The catering staff busied themselves making sure all was topped up and clean.

Our room (Zimmer 0547) was just right. The TV had proper channels not just a few freeview ones - this was very welcome. The free internet Wi/Fi in the room is something I expect this day and age but sadly, get very seldom. No problem here though & we found it quite fast enough. The beds I notice, have been crticised as being too hard. Well, I suppose it's down to personal choice. I agree the bed was hard - but not in a sleeping on a piece of concrete kind of way. It was so comfortable and such a change from the normally sagging, cheaply sprung mattresses you get everywhere else in europe, where you and your partner end up both in the middle and getting out of bed is like trying to pull yourself out of a swimming pool!
I read somewhere the rooms are insulated against noise and that would explain my good night's sleep because I didn't hear a sound, though it has to be said, I was a little tired from travelling.

Although I have given 5 stars to this hotel I do have a fairly important criticism. We left the hotel after our one night, in transit. The account was settled - all very nice, thank you. When we arrived in Sardinia, my wife discovered an E mail saying Motel One was taking over a hundred Euros for a 'No Show'. We didn't have good access to the internet out there (nothing in our hotel) so this wasn't what we needed as it was difficult to get access to the net even in the internet cafe. After E mail messages back and forth, it was sorted out but only after we gave them details about our stay and quoting the receipt number. Mistakes can happen but being asked to prove we turned up was at the least unprofessional and was very accusatory in tone. An apology would have been the minimum appropriate redress for this error.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank EngelskRikky
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Brand new hotel, which is an advantage now.Let's see in a few years.... Rooms small with no place for lugagge, but good enough. The self-closing door of the bathroom bothers a little. We have to put something heavy to keep it opened.
Location is perfect because at the main station you have the U and S trains going everywhere and also buses: Brandenburger Tor, the Bundestag, Zoo Garten, Alexander Platz.... You have a big supermarket half block, on Invalidenstrasse.
Staff is Ok. We were lucky because there is an spanish receptionist (we are from Argentina) and she was very nice.
Breakfast was ok but a little expensive considering what they offer. We also don't like that place for breakfast is very close to reception. People checking out is in the middle of your way to bread and mermelade.
Outside cons are the noise of the ambulances (there is a hospital nearby) and the Invalidenstrasse has a lot of traffic and dangerous to cross. To go to the station, on rush hours, you spend 10 minutes crossing the streets, waiting for at least 5 changes of green lights.
But, despite all these small inconvenciences, the hotel is a good option for train travellers and for businessmen.
Oh! I forgot.... we also loved the e-quarium on the TV when you get into the room the first time!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank siemprelista
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Surprisingly this hotel is still one of the very few ones in walking distance to Berlin main station. The hotel was built very recently, the building is pretty stylish and modern. My room and also the bathroom were larger than expected, with a nice view to Berlin main station (8th floor).

Wifi is free (54 Mbit/s) and worked fine. I didn't miss a telephone - nowadays almost everyone has a notebook with Skype or a mobile phone. There is no minibar in the room but the shops in the main station are open till late in the evening.

The bed is very large and comfortable.

Breakfast was fine but pretty noisy as the entrance hall was the place for having breakfast, and people were checking out from the hotel which was booked out.

The hotel is next to a famous former prison which is now a park ("Geschichtspark Ehemaliges Zellengefängnis Moabit", find more here:
The park is worth a visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors to have a better view and to get a more quiet room
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Dr_Weissnix
Reviewed 27 September 2011

The location right opposite the "Hauptbahnhof" (main train station) was one of the deciding factors. We stayed there twice, first upon arrival in Germany and then 10 days later; one room was out onto the street, the other to the garden, both were very quiet. The other reason why we picked it was the fact that this hotel had just opened. It's always great to stay at a hotel where not many people have stayed before and the beds are still firm and new as can be. All the rooms are also completely smokefree, as is the lobby, sadly not the garden. The garden is very nice nonetheless (see photo) and big enough that you can get away from smokers. The lobby has free wireless internet (with a 24-hour code from the reception), which wasn't that great for our i-devices (bad, choppy, slow connection even to just check email), whereas laptop users seemed to have better luck. There is also a bar in the lobby that serves drinks and small food items 24 hours. We didn't take the breakfast option, since it seemed rather pricey at €10 per person, considering the train station is right there, with lots of good, fresh and inexpensive food options (until late into the night).

The rooms were very clean; one can only hope it'll stay that way. I predict mold in a short time in the bathrooms, as there is no vent and no heat. There is also no soap dish in the shower, and the shower has only a small glass divider. Yes, you guessed correctly, if you're not extremely careful, the whole bathroom will be under water after you take a shower. Easy to keep clean, but not very practical, imo. Considering the copious amount of moisture and the lack of a vent, be advised to have something heavy handy to prop the door open, since it's one of those self-closing ones.

Other than that, the room was great and much fancier than the price suggests. We loved the e-quarium that started playing on the TV (with soothing music), once you put the door keycard into the power slot. Housekeeping respects the "do not disturb"-sign.

Room Tip: I'd say it depends on what view you'd like to have. At any rate, I'd go for as high as possible (unless you have trouble with heights). If you pick one towards the street (not loud, thanks to the typical modern German windows) you will have an awesome view over Berlin's Tiergarten park, the government district and the train station.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple