“Best coffee in Berlin so far”
Review of Cafe Balzac

Cafe Balzac
Ranked #142 of 401 Coffee & Tea in Berlin
Neighbourhood: Charlottenburg
Neighbourhood: Charlottenburg
Reviewed 20 March 2015 via mobile

I am having coffee twice a day, every day.

I have been in Berlin for 10 days.
Half of the places uses a press-a-button machine which is not as good.

This place uses a real professional machine. Moreover they use good beans for espresso.

Reviewed 10 February 2015

This cafe was very very close to our hotel (Radisson Blue). So it was nice as we didn't have to go far hunting for coffee in the morning. Coffee was great and bakery was great too. My daughter used to have smoothies freshly prepared at the cafe which according to her were brilliant. We really enjoyed having a cuppa at this cafe every now and then:)

Reviewed 20 November 2014

After having served the person in front of me, the (new?) barista had a problem with the cash counter and without even looking at me and saying something like hello or asking me to wait, she turns her back to me and starts talking to her colleagues letting me wait for a few minutes. I would not have minded at all after a small hello from her. And then when I asked what the difference was between spicy chai tea latte and sweet chai tea latte the other barista told me that it was exactly what the text implied, one was spicier and the other one milder. D'oh! I mean to most normal people, a chai tea latte is spicy AND sweet, so I did not think that this was a stupid question, especially me being of Indian origin. The spicy chai latte was in the end not great at all. It lacked sugar, though some people may like that, but the pre-dominant taste was cinnamon. I also had a raspberry cookie which in my opinion was not just gooey as it should be, but underbaked. I may stick to Starbucks!

Als die Person vor mir gegangen war, drehte sich der (neue?) Barista um, ohne Hallo oder Entschuldigung, und unterhielt sich mit einem Kollegen, weil sie Probleme mit ihrer Kasse hatte. Mir wäre dies egal gewesen, wäre ich wenigsten begrüsst worden. Als ich dann frage, was der Unterschied zwischen Spicy Chai Latte und Sweet Chai Latte ist, erklärte mir der Kollege, dass das genauso sei, wie es auf der Tafel stehe: Eines sei ein bisschen stärker, das andere milder. Als Inderin denke ich, dass ich etwas von Chai verstehe und für mich ist ein Chai Latte spicy UND süss und deshalb fand ich die Frage alles andere als blöd, die Anwort aber schon! Ich nahm ein Spicy Chai Tee Latte, das nicht genügen gesüsst war (manche mögens vielleicht so) und vor allem nur nach Zimt schmeckte. Ausserdem war der Himbeer-Cookie nicht einfach nur schön weich, sondern einfach nicht genug gebacken. Ich gehe wieder in den Starbucks!

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Like Starbucks, but with less choice and paying Wi-Fi. Coffee is so so but place is nice and comfortable

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Berlin is a city where you see Starbucks and Einstein Kaffee on every corner. Balzac is similar to those cafes in the concept but their coffees and other products, especially the Chocolate Fudge Cake, are better. Prices are similar to any Starbucks in Germany. One last remark, buy every piece separately and each time request another wi-fi ticket to use the wireless internet. Because each time you buy something they give you a ticket which allows you to connect to the internet once and for 30 minutes.