“Great Location - But??”

Ranked #106 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
bedford
“Great Location - But??”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Myself and family stayed at this hotel recently for a long weekend. We chose it due to it's central location and facilities i.e. indoor pool because our 5 year old son just loves swimming.
Although the condition of the hotel is excellent and our Junior Suite was very good what lets the hotel down in our opinion are the dining options.
Most evenings we chose to eat in the bar/lounge area due to the fact that the main restaurant was always empty not surprisingly considering it is an open area at the end of the bar/lounge area with about a dozen tables - not exactly enticing and no amotsphere at all! We found breakfast to be most unstaisfactory. It is held in a breakfast room with bright orange plastic chairs at tables with no cloths. Nobody showed us to a table so we just sat down at one and waited about 15 minutes before we were able to attract anybodys attention. When we finally did get to spaek to somebody they told us in quite an abrupt fashion that it was "buffett style" and would be 32 Euros per head. A bit over the top for a self serve breakfast in a room resembling a 2/3 star hotel rather than a 4/5 star hotel. We asked if there was a menu option and a menu was provided that you could choose items from - although this was not advertised at all. We ordered several seperate items cereals, juices, drinks etc. which were bought to our table but we were advised by the waitress that in future we would have to collect these ourselves. Needless to say we did not return for breakfast for the rest of our stay but found somewhere else to eat in the mornings.
The service in the bar/lounge area was at times not of the standard required - hardly a smile offered by the staff and on each occasion we had to wait ages at the end of our meal to sign the bill.
In summary if you are after a good location and a clean room this is the place to stay - but do not expect a great dining experience.
Westin really need to take a look at this aspect and until they do we will not be returning.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank june576
Westin_Grand_Berlin, Executive Office at The Westin Grand Berlin, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Guest, constructive reviews are always welcome as we could have a better monitoring on our service standard. It is our aim to offer our service on a high level. Therefore we thank you very much for comments; we will evaluate your impressions with the concerned manager and associates. But we can also assure you that you did not experienced our normal high quality standard. We really regret if we could not meet your expectations during your stay and will do our utmost to improve. Perhaps we get opportunity to convince you during your next Berlin-stay? We would be pleased! The Westin Grand Berlin Teams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Killeen, Texas
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The Westin was in a great location. We were only minutes walking distance away from the Brandenburg Gate and many other attractions. There were plenty of restaurants around the corner as well as cafes and trinket shops. The staff was very helpful and friendly and actually helped us out when we forgot some clothes when we checked out. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Berlin.

Room Tip: You are in Berlin; don't worry about a room with a view. Get out and explore!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
We thank you so much and hope you will come back to us! The Westin Grand Berlin Team, Andrea W.
Milwaukee
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed back in December and still cannot sing the praises of this hotel enough. They really have something special.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I enjoyed staying in this hotel. Overall, the service, food and attention to detail I found to be on par with best in class hotels. Also, the hotel is very close to many of the main attractions of the city (within walking distance).

One important incidence however left a bitter taste in my mouth. Before going to bed one night I requested an early morning wake up call with the appropriate hotel staff. I emphasized that I had to attend a very important business breakfast meeting in the morning, and that they should not forget to wake me up. I was given emphatic assurances that there should not be any problem.

Lo and behold, I never received a wake up call from the hotel staff, woke up late and missed my meeting!

When I called the hotel staff to ask why I was not awakened, I was told by the person answer. When I pressed to state that the phone could not have rung as it was right to my bed and that I was a light sleeper, she then changed the story to mention that she did try to call me, but that ended up receiving a message that I had already checked out.

I found this to be inexcusable. I did have the nagging feeling that something was not right and that something was missing. This person could have easily verified with the front desk if I had indeed checked out!

It was really embarrassing to later apologize to my business contacts for not being able to live up to my commitment.

I never received any apology or even a call from any of the hotel staff to offer any regrets on this oversight! This was the only time this happened to me during all of my business travels across various countries

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Shankar C
Westin_Grand_Berlin, Executive Office at The Westin Grand Berlin, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear guest, the most important thing to us is: you enjoyed your stay! We thank you very much and for informing in regards to your critical points here on Tripadvisor. Of course we have tried to find out what did happen. Indeed we tried to wake you up in the morning and nobody answers the call. That's why we gave you a message. This was not the best solution. Indeed we did not handled professional further and we regret that you did not get even an excuse for the inconveniences. We really hope that you will accept our sincere apology at this place and you can be assured that we will evaluate with our staff. SHould you give us a second chance we would be pleased to offer and convince you of our high level of service. Your WEstin Grand Berlin Team, Andrea W.
Luxembourg
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Berlin has many great hotels and this is one of them. I stayed for one night at the magnificent Westin Grand at a short trip to Berlin in December.
The service at the reception was excellent and helpful. As soon as you step into the lobby the greatness embraces you with it's old style flair.The location of the hotel is great, only a few steps from public transport, in the middle of a shopping area and very close to the museums, the Brandenburg gate and many other landmarks.
Pricing of the rooms is excellent and the only little downside are the overcharged prices for food and drinks in the lobby. Nevertheless you'll get a great hotel at an excellent rate.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank marcnicolas
Westin_Grand_Berlin, Executive Office at The Westin Grand Berlin, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
We thank you so much indeed for your visit here and also for your evaluation - so nice fo us to hear that you were impressed by the hotel and the service. All the more we are like to do our job and to do all for our guests. The Westin Grand Berlin expects you during your next Berlin trip - Andrea W.