New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Scandic Berlin Potsdamer Platz
Ranked #46 of 662 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
Vantaa, Finland
“Excellent for a short business travel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

I found here all that I need for a 3 night stay on business: spacious room, convenient beds, free high speed Wi-Fi, super breakfast (incl. one table with organic food), good service. Next to the hotel is a shopping center with some nice small restaurants, also a few good eating places around. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TotallyFinnish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I've stayed a the Scandic Potsdamer Platz in Berlin three times in the last 6-monghts and I've found it quite comfortable and convenient. It's walking distance to the client that I need to visit. As well it's walking distance to quite a few restaurants, some key Tourist destinations such as Potsdamer Platz itself, the Brandenburg Gate, Tiergarten, Reichstag, Jewish Memorial and Check Point Charlie. As other reviewer have mentioned, the Mendelssohn-Bartholdy-Park‎ U-bahn station is right next door to help you get to any other destinations and the Taxi fare from Tegel Airport is usually about €22 including tip.

Also near by are the Potsdamer Platz Arkaden mall that includes fast food outlets, a pharmacy, an electronics store and an Aldi (discount grocery store) among other stores.

The rooms are very clean and European/IKEA-ish in design. This suits me quite well but I understand why many North Americans express concern over the Bathroom door - it's a sliding glass panel that is mostly mirrored to the outside. However, as mentioned, when there's more light in the bathroom than in the surrounding room outside, it's not quite as private as many would prefer.

Also as many have mentioned, if you want shampoo (separate from the wall mounted dispenser of wash soap) bring your own - or visit the nearby mall. Also, by my 2nd visit I started traveling with a shower scrubbie (actually a Skin Towel from the Body Shop in the Arkaden mall).

This a new hotel, about a year old and has flat screen LCD TVs with HD programming but other than the news in the morning I didn't use it much. Note that the room environmental controls are operated through the TV although I not convinced that they actually work. It takes the input of the room temperature I wanted but I never noticed that there was ever any corresponding change. I guess the good news is that the environmental system wasn't loud like I've experienced in some other places - especially those with the outside wall mounted systems with the loud blowers.

During my stays I used the Hotel Gym, it's smallish - about three rooms with the adjoining walls removed and has free weights as well as a couple of tread mills, a stationary bike and an elliptical machine. Note that the programing for the machines is in German. For those that want a more extensive work out the Hotel now has arrangement for a fairly inexpensive day pass with the gym that just opened next door.

The hotel has bicycles for guest use, I had one for 4-hours - the maximum 'free' borrowing interval. It gave me the freedom to explore the Tiergarten more extensively and cycle out to the Fernsehturm (Soviet era TV tower) and Alexanderplatz all during the same 4-hour period. It's a nice benefit and a great alternative way to tour the city.

Much also has been said about the breakfast buffet. As many have said there is an extensive variety of cold meats, cheese, fruit, cereals, breads and juices. As well there are scrambled and boiled eggs as well as bacon and sausages. One thing to note is that the Hotel seems popular with bus tours on weekends and the buffet can get busy on Saturdays - it's entertaining to watch seniors surreptitiously making sandwiches for lunch and secluding them in their pockets. After a week, it is possible to get tired of the buffet however it was included in my room rate so not taking advantage seemed a waste.

I'm happy with the beds, no sagging and the right firmness. I would, however, like the night stand to be a bit larger. It gets very crowded once I have my glasses, blackberry and and watch on it. Oh yes, the 'clock' in the room is built into the TV. As well, the wake up alarm is also set up via and uses the TV.

One last minor oddity, there are two banks of elevators with a hallway separating them and each bank has its own call buttons. So, if you're in a hurry, you need to push the buttons on both. Also about the elevators, it's both nice security feature and sometimes a bother that you need your room keycard to enable the elevator to select guest rooms. Lastly, I find the tweeting bird sounds played in the elevators a bit precious however others like it - it is an improvement over 'elevator muzak' but I'd be find with no sound track at all.

Overall, I'm very happy with my stays at the Scandic Potsdamer Platz and will continue to choose it when visiting Berlin.

Bon Voyage.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Olde_biL
scandicberlin, Verkaufsleiter at Scandic Berlin Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Thank you very much for your good critics in Tripadvisor for our hotel.
It is a real pleasure for us to welcome you and are happy to being such a good host to you.
Let us mention only two issues which you have written about.
We are happy to inform you that we have improved our mirrored bathroom doors. Our guests are not able to look through the doors anymore, even if the light in turned on in the bathroom. Further sounds are being reduced by this improvement.
Further we are happy to tell you that we are working on the climate control and will be able to announce an improvement with this soon.
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Scandic Hotel is the first hotel that gets the Green label in Germany. I have stayed here twice and the last time was just a week ago in february 2012. The room is spacious where some of my colleagues said "It's an Ikea-like room". It's all minimalist and functional. No mini-bar but also no kettle to make some tea unfortunately. And no complimentary water either. There are 4 theme rooms. I was in the Winter room last year and now in the Spring one. Water pressure int he shower is a bit weak this time. And I didn't get notification when I was about to check out (Somehow I thought I was checking out one day later and they didn't warn me. So I had to pay extra another night).

Plus: new modern and spacious room. Over 100 items to choose from for breakfast. Fast check-in service. Free wifi in the room. A minute away from the U-bahn station: Mendehlson-Batholdy Park

Minus: No complimentary water, no kettle, location (It's in Potsdamer Platz where nobody goes unless they are on a business trip or attending the Berlin Film festival).

Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
We thank you for your critics at Tripadvisor. Please let us state some issues you have mentioned.
As we can see you have booked a standard room in our hotel. Our superior category as well as our junior suites offers a full stuffed minibar as well as a kettle for tea and coffee making. These facilities are included in the room rate for superior rooms and junior suites.
Potsdamer Platz is one of the most visited tourist attractions in Berlin. As it is one of the locations where you can experience old and new Berlin, this is a good place to visit. Our hotel is situated about 200 metres away from Potsdamer Platz.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Hotel was fresh, comfortable and clean! The king sized bed was extremelly comfy, good internet connection, friendly and helpful staff. The small gym was also a nice touch with a good selection of machines and enough weights to get a good work out . The hotel is well situated on a quiet street but near shops and restaurants.

The breakfast buffet was excellent, the restaurant set up was a bit strange feeling cafateria like but the variety/quality of the food made up for it.

Overally a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I stayed in this hotel for work. I don't know my way around Belrin at all but it was very convenient for the Potsdamer Platz where I was working.

The food in the restaurant was outstanding - and the restaurant has a nice atmosphere.

The breakfast bar also had loads of choice - something for everyone and was all of a high standard.

The decor of the hotel is lovely throughout, the rooms clean and comfortable (If I could have got the bed in to my suitcase it would have come home with me!!).

Staff were friendly and helpful

The hotel has an eco theme running, little things that give the impression that they are doing all they can to be environmentally friendly while maintaining a high service hotel i.e separate compartments in the bin for recycling, not mini bar with bottled water but water dispensers around the hotel and a shop in the foyer for other bits and pieces.

And I did love the details of birdsong in the lifts and vines growing up walls which give the hotel a fresh feelings.

I stayed in minus 14 conditions and was warm in my rooms (with fully controllable heating system).

In my 2 night stay I didn't find anything to fault.

I hope this is helpful - as I said I was staying on business and I do not know and unfortunately didn't have time to explore Berlin so I don't know how well it is located to places of interest etc

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business