“Wonderful ”

Ranked #9 of 114 Restaurants in Rothenburg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

Some of the best authentic German food around. Excellent spatzle & knodels. Rouladen, and jagerschnitzle were the best we’ve had. And great outdoor Biergarten.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

I’ve eaten a lot of German and Austrian food over the years. The quality of schnitzels in Germany is uneven to say the least, and generally Wiener schnitzel is better prepared in Austria. But German restaurants usually offer more varieties of schnitzel. At Gasthof Butz, I ordered Jaeger schnitzel, a “natur” schnitzel (not breaded and fried) with mushroom gravy. The pork was tender and flavorful, and the accompanying fries were hot and lightly salted. Quite a good meal. My wife had the beef roulade, which she let me sample. It also was quite good, perhaps a bit shy of outstanding, but certainly not disappointing. She pronounced the spaetzle “good” - not the best or the worst. I’d trust her appraisal. She’s more a fan of spaetzle than I am, and she’s had them all over southern Germany and Austria. The service was quick, competent, and friendly - not something Germany is known for. I’d definitely return to this restaurant.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed all of our meals, but I found the Roulade dish to be outstanding. Too bad I ordered another dish and hubby ordered the roulade. Son tried the noodles with spinach and loved it too. Pricing was fair.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 4 May 2018

Gasthof Butz was a dinner stop during a family visit to Rothenburg OdT. My niece opted for the Rumpsteak dinner. It was obviously delicious as evidenced by the lack of conversation once she started eating; no small feat for a 14-year-old girl. My spouse and I selected the Jagerschnitzel with mushroom sauce. It was just okay compared to the Jagerschnitzel with mushroom sauce that I enjoyed during my time in the Eifel Mountains region of Germany, but the pommes (fries).. The decor was nice, clean, cozy, and in the style of a typical German Gasthaus.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 2 February 2018

Again another find in Rothenburg with regards to the food quality and the quaint atmosphere. Staff were very friendly and the place entices you to stay way longer than it would take to have just dinner.

Date of visit: October 2017