“Lovely Ambience, Lovely Food”
Review of C'era Una Volta

C'era Una Volta
Ranked #22 of 1,154 Restaurants in Nuremberg
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 March 2015

From the moment you walk into this little restaurant you feel warm and welcome. The staff is charming (we were a table of three lovely ladies). They offered a set menu with the option of three choices for the main dish. The meal started with a wonderful oversized homemade tortellini in a basil pesto sauce with a hint of spice. I selected the seafood main dish which was Langostino lobster and it was fantastic. The dessert was a spumoni with a side of chocolate gelato. The spumoni had delicious flavors of vanilla, citrus, and caramelized almonds. A white wine pairing was offered to compliment the seafood. Overall a wonderful meal.

There are newer reviews for C'era Una Volta

Reviewed 8 March 2015

The restaurant is quite hard to find as it is placed on the end of long narrow street, where people would ussualy not get in. So it needs to be your goal to go in to this restaurant.
When you enter you see it is rather small room but with a lot of tables that are set so, that you do not have any feeling of crowdiness.

In general this restaurant has 2 sides in terms of food - either you like it or you don't. The reason is very limited selection. According to my understanding (at least it was so when I was there for dinner) the restaurant does not have a food menu to choose from.

When I was there with my business collegue thay had 2 options - 3 course dinner which was either fish or meat based and that was it. A bit disapointing for me as I like to have few options to choose from. So if you go there an you want to have a bit of flexibility when you select food, than most probably this is not the restaurant to choose.

I took the meat menue. With a beef carpacio as s starter (very tasty) followed by nice beef medalion - rare done (tender and juicy) and on the end good dessert (nothing special). Next to all 3 good italian red wine - selection from the chef.

Bottom line - I was satisfied with a dinner but wondering what else they have to offer. I was hopeing to be able to order some nice homa made pasta as this was actualy my initial intention when I have looked for good italian restaurant near to my hotel.

Reviewed 6 March 2015

Gayle (my most better half) and I had a fabulous meal at Franco's restaurant (osteria-ceraunavolta.de) in Nuremberg tonight. It is a undiscovered rare gem; and preparation is pure perfection. There is a lot of energy in the dining room that is decorated with a lot of pictures of Italian movie stars that reflect Franco's deep connection to his US birth roots. His cooking style is totally based on his Italian upbringing in Italy. If I had to characterize it I might classify it as Imaginative Italian Contemporary. It is a rare gem that took 21 years for us to discover. We have visited Nuremberg every year since 19994; and did not find it until now. I regret all the wonderful meals we missed having with Franco. We will be back as often as possible. If you are in Nuremberg do yourself a favor, and book a table; you will not regret if you do, but you will if you don't.

Reviewed 28 February 2015

A friend and I went to this place on a monday night. As starter we got some kind of pasta in an orange flavoured sauce. It was surprisingly good and was a good start of the evening. As a main course I got the roast beef. I got a huge piece of meat, so big I could not finish it. All in all the food was good, the service was also good and the atmosphere was enjoyable. Two things, however, are noteworthy. First of all, two "artists" from the street came in where one sang and the other played guitar for a couple of songs, after which they walked around asking for money for that display. I did not like that. Second of all, the price was in the upper part of the spectrum for a place like this. We payed around 100 Euros for two people (drinks included) which is bit steep compared to other recommended places on tripadvisor where 50-70 Euro is common.

Reviewed 16 February 2015

C'era Una Volta is an amazing experience that I recommend to anyone passing through Nuremberg. Located just off the main street leading from the Bahn Hof, it is very easily accessible. The food is amazing, and prepared fresh for ever guest, and the environment is very warm and welcoming. The staff speak English very well for any who do not speak fluent German, and are very kind. I truly advise anyone to visit. The price is above average, but worth every Euro!