“Octoberfest 2011”

Sofitel Munich Bayerpost
Ranked #25 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My husband and I traveled to Munich from his meeting in Zurich for Octoberfest 2011 because it was on my bucket list. Although we have been to Munich a few times before, this was a different experience altogether. We tried to book through American Express Travel and they dropped the ball on two occasions, so I was left to fend for myself in finding a suitable place to stay. I knew I was booking late (August) during their most busy time of year, followed only by their Christmas extravaganza. After reading many reviews on Trip Advisor and other internet sources, I bit the bullet and booked this beautiful five star location because I knew my husband would love it. It is located in the old post office and is a beautiful imposing building. Reception was efficient and courteous. Our junior suite was overlooking the train station which became entertaining once young revelers in costumes arrived for Octoberfest. Otherwise, after spending money for a suite, I would ask for a different view.

Our two rooms were large and spacious and words cannot describe our beautiful bathroom with glass sliding doors, large walk-in shower with bench and heated marble floors. The toiletries were Hermes.

Because of the many activities throughout the city, other than their fantastic breakfast buffet (extra cost), we did not explore the pool or spa, although we did have a drink in the bar before taking a cab to dinner one evening.

Staying at the Sofitel Munich will be the gold standard of hotels for me.

Room Tip: This is the place to stay to be close to everything and be treated well in a five star environment.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sofitel Munich Bayerpost

Reviewed 1 March 2012

This review is written by Destination Europe (www.destinationeuropeonline.com) - we plan amazing, custom tailored packages for all of Europe. One of the benefits of our job is that each year, we take some time and travel all over Europe, visiting new hotels and destinations, which we then recommend to our clients.

My staff and I stayed here in December, just in time for the Christmas Markets. Located just next to the Hauptbahnhof Station - the location is perfect for walking to the Marienplatz, or catching the U-Bahn.

We had a suite overlooking the back of the station with distant views of the Alps. The room was on two levels - the lower level was a sitting area with a bathroom and the upper level was the bedroom and bathroom with shower. The shower was amazing and the bed amazing as well.

We had breakfast here a couple of times - very large and decadent buffet, as you would expect from a Sofitel. The service was very nice, even the room service was great as we did have dinner in the room one night.

My most favorite part of this hotel was the spa and pool area. After long days of walking all over, it was great to take the private elevator down to the Spa and soak and relax in the pool. It is a grotto style, so very intimate and very relaxing.

Over all - our experience here was wonderful and we will continue to send many clients to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 March 2012

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The sofitel really has it all in Munich.
It's absolutely stunning, with all the features of a 5 star hotel. The rooms were great, modern & clean. You could also spend an hour simply walking around the lobby & function rooms.

It's also in the heart of munich, right near the hoptbanhof (train station). From there, you can go anywhere in the city. Staff were great, price was amazing (compared to others in this class world wide...), and I truly recommend this hotel as a wonderful place to stay!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Will5024
Reviewed 19 February 2012

The hotel is located a block outside Munich central station. Very convenient to catch the U-bahn and S-bahn trains around the city and airport, as well as long distance trains to other cities. One thing i HATED about the lobby was that there was a VERY strong perfumed smell every time you entered the hotel. I don't know where it was coming from, but it made my eyes water every time.

Had a room on the 3rd floor. The room is modern and spotless, with a good sized room and bathroom, as well as spacious closet. The king size bed was two twin beds pushed together. The room has Bose sound system. One negative was that the bathroom was not very private. The mirror above the sink could be opened toward the bed, and the door to the bathroom was a frosted glass door that did not close all the way, with an hole in the glass as the door handle.

The hotel does offer free wi-fi, but connection was spotty.

There's plenty of food options since the central station is right next door.

Overall, enjoyed my stay and would recommend to others.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends