“Beautiful rather dark narrow barock church in original state.”
Review of Asam Church

Asam Church
Ranked #4 of 320 things to do in Munich
Purmerend
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Beautiful rather dark narrow barock church in original state.”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

The Asam brothers though they could do better than the others, so desgned the church themselves, and also decorated the church in very beautiful style themselves. Since it is build between two existing houses the church is narrow and rather dark: not many windows.

Visited May 2012

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Nice”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Great church,but the opening hour is weird,did not get a chance to go inside

Visited April 2012
1 Thank synequano
Lancashire
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Don't miss this beautiful church!”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Thanks for the reviews from previous travellers on this wonderful church. We would never have known about it otherwise. It is truly amazing and took our breath away. We attended Sunday Mass here and it was a very moving experience.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank maryann73
Cape Town, South Africa
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Literally and Figuratively a Gem”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Do not miss popping into this flight of the imagination church slap bang in the middle of Munich....you barely have to stop shopping! Rococo gone wild and a wonderful testimony to the eternal tension between haves and havenots and spirituality vs materialism. Not one spot could we see unadorned. This was a highlight of our last trip to Munich. No idea how we could have missed it before!

Visited September 2011
1 Thank scubafan09
Savannah, Tennessee
“Beyond the Heavens - Yes, you can visit on earth. Stop In!”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Whether you are a believer or not on your visit to Munich this is one attraction you might go straight from airport, train or bus. This is one of two Churches built by the Assam. brothers. The second Church was destroyed in the bombings as I understand this to be true. Yet, this one was not. Each brother built a Church and the new Church put up in place of the one destroyed is almost as opposite as you could want. Yin and Yang. Contemporary Beyond Baroque. I suggest you're visit be to the simpler church first, then visit this Church. The magnificence of the interior you will never tire of. I was speaking with someone tonight who said Rocco and my very first thought was of the Church in Munich and the Assam brothers.
I have not been there since 1997 15 years ago. I have not thought of the Church in years, but sometimes I will see something or the shade of blue in thr ceiling and memories of it are like a movie, one beautiful step across the street to this simple building, bright sun, opening the doors, the doors closing and Oh my, deep breath and you are truly amazed, shocked, giggle a little, it is a candy store of Architecture. You might want to take a step back and just take a moment to adjust your mind to start to remember it all. This is not an attraction, this is Beyond the Heavens. I have never seen nor will I again see a building this magnificent.
Rocco, yesterday it is, but to me it is Baroque Rocco And More
There are almost no words to describe the entry vestibule ceiling.
This review is being written from memokry, I have not been there since 1997 or thereabout. 15 years and yet the color blue in the ceiling I can see. The Angels, the dark columns twisted and if you stared long enough you think they move. I can see more and more of the church as I let my mind wander, and I remember exiting to the bright sun and then looking at the family residence. I should probably have learned more of their history than the v brief story, but The Experience on the first visit was so astonishing that as I was starting to say, stepping into the bright sunny day we had made tears come to your eyes. The history of the war and what was happening, horrible things that we can barely understand, and then there is this beautiful church. I have to say your mind twists like the columns and the entire world moves as you try to piece it together.
This is strictkly a vist if you love architecture, and if you particularly love churches, I do. This out of the many I have visited from England, France, Norway, Sweden, Amsterdam, Switzerland, Italy, France, Denmark (castles) Scotland (some close seconds) etc, I would have to put this at the top of the list still 15 years later. And, should I happen to be in Munich again, it would be my first stop. Right from the airport. The size of the church also captures you and once we were there alone. A treat to just sit, and you keep finding new little treasures in the carvings, This is just beyond words for me.
One reason may be the simple exterior does not prepare you, most churches that are grand give you a hint from outside, this did not do that.'It was a let's pop in here. The church 15 years ago I do not remember it being on a list or guidebook, I think we did just as I wrote, pop in.

Though this Church does not get the attention as many others,do not be kept away, enter and be swept away. Angela

Visited August 2011