2,233 results
All reviews great location famous hofbrauhaus hofbrau house breakfast buffet beer hall old city the air conditioning lovely hotel quiet room two blocks loved this hotel central location by european standards reception staff within easy walking distance minute walk visiting munich
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I am half-way into my second stay at the Platzl (each time for 10 days). I found it on a previous trip by wandering around the Old City district, where I wanted to be based and then confirmed it was ok on TripAdvisor. After more that 2 weeks in the hotel, I have discovered that it is a very nice place to stay and an easy walk to many of the city's sights and public transport. My family came to stay for several days with me (we were 4 with 2 teenage girls in 2 rooms) and they also liked the hotel and asked me to book it again. The hotel is traditional (lots of wood, smallish rooms, uniformed staff) but it is up-to-date with internet, rental bikes, electronic safes, mini-bar, good laundry, English-speaking staff, etc. Breakfast, included, has excellent variety and is in a nice room with lots of windows (looking out the far side on the Platzl and Hofbrauhaus). Rooms on the courtyard are a little more expensive but if you don't like street noise (which dies down around 11) then they are worth it. I would give the hotel 5 stars but for the size of the rooms - but they are reasonable priced for the city-center. By the way, the hotel is next to the Haxnbauer restaurant, which, with a good & reasonably priced meal, has much of the Bavarian beer-hall feel without the insanity of the Hofbrauhaus and similar places.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank SailinFlyinDrivin
Reviewed 6 July 2009

The Plaztl Hotel provides clean, comfortable rooms in a central location. Service is prompt and efficient.

A couple of negatives.

1. The location is certainly central (walking distance to many sights) but it's a very touristy part of the city. The Hard Rock Cafe and Hofbrauer House (beer hall) are right around the corner and there is a fair bit of noise at night from drunken tourists.

2. Service is prompt and efficient but (with a couple of exceptions) there isn't much warmth or happiness in it. Many of the staff look somber. There is also quite a strange vibe that comes from some of the front desk staff. Another reviewer on TA commented that the front desk staff treat guests with contempt and in some ways I agree. I had one very unpleasant experience with a man at the front desk.

Overall our five nights at the Platzl were mostly positive. However, Munich has a number of excellent hotels and I would probably stay somewhere else on another visit.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MB747
Reviewed 10 June 2009

When we first pulled up to this hotel we were worried- from the outside it looks sort of dumpy- like a Best Western. Immediately, someone came out to assist us. The interior was a different story. The lobby is beautiful, old fashioned with high ceilings, warm woods yet updated and stylish upholstered furniture. Lots of windows- not dark and depressing. The young bartender at the adjacent little bar area was nice and we enjoyed our drinks in the lobby rather than the tiny bar.

Our room was spacious, appeared recently renovated and comfortable with two separate bathrooms- one with a toilet and sink and the other with a bathtub/shower sink. No bidet.
Since we were on the top floor our views were of other rooftops via the dormer type windows. The hotel gave us a quiet side room which was relatively quiet- we heard only a little street noise.
The bed was very comfortable and the room was extremely clean but I did notice a slight sour/vinegar smell to the bed linens- nothing offensive but almost as if they had used eco- conscious detergents with no perfumes/scents.

One of the most outstanding features was the delightful very young staff who were friendly, helpful and spoke excellent English.

The breakfast buffet was outstanding.
Spa area was very nice with a forceful shower but kind of odd- unisex- no separation but that's how Germans tend to do things e.g. public swimming pools with communal changing rooms and the nude section of the English Garden etc. You could close off your shower stall but not lock it (?) The exercise room looked nice as well.

I regret not eating at the hotel's restaurant. We had some mediocre dining experiences by turning left as we exited the hotel and going up the street toward the Marienplatz. Avoid the hoxen place with meat turning on the spit in the window- simply dreadful and swarming with customers- very odd. Across the street from hoxen was a fondue and German foods restaurant- better but not great.

Ask directions to Dallmayr- just a block or two away- an amazing, large food emporium with the finest of everything including take out foods and a wine bar and some outside seating in the courtyard.

Also, as you exit the hotel, immediately to the right is a small sandwich shop (owned by the hotel?) which makes excellent sandwiches to go. Additionally, if you take a right out of the main hotel entrance, go down to the next street and take another right you will see a Japanese restaurant which gets good reviews on TA (but unfortunately we didn't try it).

There's a free computer and printer in a former telephone booth (?) adjacent to the front desk in the lobby.
Munich is a beautiful city and the hotel's location could not be beat. An all-around excellent hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anne B
Reviewed 4 June 2009

We stayed here as the last stop of a ten day trip to Germany - so we splurged a little on the hotel - it is expensive, BUT the breakfast buffet was the finest I have seen in European hotel in ages! The desk staff''s English was fluent and helpful (Unlike the Berlin Savoy staff) The spa on the 5th floor is amazing - both dry and steam sauna and extra special showers - not to mention the coolest tile job this side of Arabian Nights. Unless you enjoy loud rowdy nights, ask for a room that does not face the Hofbrauhous. Even our room - which was about the hotel's entrance -had a few minutes of noise well past normal bedtimes each night. There are plenty of other hotels in the area, but this one is good for their location and a bit of a splurge

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank riggingdiva
Reviewed 22 May 2009

Great place, would stay there again. Rooms are a bit small and if you face to the street, can be noisy, with people "celebrating" in the evening bavarian style (although they are probably mostly tourists)
Shower is great, bathroom also.
Although it would be nice if the room attendant trying to clean the room first would knock the door, instead of just coming in.....
No ethernet cable was in the room, only WLAN available at 22 EUR + per day - which is "normal" internet charges for hotel in Europe - I still think this is legalized robbery.
This review might sound a bit negative, but I was very happy there.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business