See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 November 2012

First of all, let me preface this review with the fact that is why in Erlangen to visit a friend who had accommodations for me. However, when the key broke in the lock at 11:00 p.m. on a Thursday night, I was forced to ask a taxi for a recommendation of an inexpensive hotel in the area that would be accepting booking at that hour. He suggested A. B. Hotel.

I arrived and was greeted by a very friendly gentleman. He spoke English well (which is good since my German in non-existent). He quickly booked me a room with breakfast for only 35 euro (Prices depends on season I take it so check beforehand. Either way, it is inexpensive)! What a deal! I wasn't expecting much for 35 euro since I had just come from Spain and paid 70 euro a night for a noisy, messy room, with no internet and NO buffet.

When I got to the room I found it to be very clean and cozy. The bed was the most comfortable one I have slept on in Europe so far (I don't like the REALLY firm mattresses so popular here) and it was the first night I woke up in a month without back or shoulder pain (I must say that I am an American and thus tend to like a medium mattress).

I awoke to sample their breakfast buffet which was simple, yet delicious and filling. I ate my fill of bread, cheese, meats, cereal, juice, and coffee. I was again greeted by very friendly staff who answered all my queries and directed my to the local Wasch Salon (Laundrymat), which was walking distance away.

In all I was VERY pleasantly surprised by my stay (so much so that I didn't mind at all when my friend said there would be some delays in getting the copy of the key to me). The hotel was clean, the buffet good, it was quiet, the bed was great, the staff very friendly and spoke English well, and the value for the money I felt was outstanding! I HIGHLY recommend this hotel if you are in Erlangen and don't want to blow the bank on fancy accommodations.

P.S. There is a nice Mexican restaurant right next to the hotel that I also recommend you take advantage of if you like Mexican food (I am from So Cal, so I LOVE Mexican food). Get the enchiladas de pollo or carne molida with the GREEN sauce and thank me later ;)

Room Tip: They have double rooms for slightly more than the singles. I am very tall and in hindsight maybe would've preferred a double bed for slightly more money. Either way, I have no regrets :)
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed in this hotel due to its seemingly central location and earlier reviews on this site and others claiming good value for money. Unfortunately, I have to disagree with those reviews, because in my opinion, good value involves reasonable (or better) quality at a lower cost than expected. The low(ish) cost was there; the quality was not.

We booked online. The internet site showed two different properties. We booked for one and found out upon our arrival that we had been assigned the other. This did not seem to interest the receptionist, who told us that the main building was full, so we would simply have to put up with the other building. This, having dragged our luggage from a pay-and-display car park, as no hotel parking is available.

This first impression of the staff was not made any better by her telling an elderly lady checking in at the same time that she had been given a room on the third floor and that there was no lift. No assistance was offered to her despite her informing the receptionist that she was physically unable to take her luggage up the stairs due to back problems. We found this attitude appalling. In the end, my girlfriend stepped in and helped her while I checked us in. I told the receptionist that I wished to speak to the manager; she informed me that he was not there but that we could make an appointment to speak to him when we checked out two days later.

Upon arriving at the room, we discovered a smoking room (this had not been communicated to us during the booking or check-in, and no option to choose had been offered; we had thus assumed all rooms to be non-smoking). The room was very small, the bed taking up about two thirds of it.The wardrobe on one side could not be opened fully because the door collided with the bed. The table with TV in front of the bed could not be sat at because there was no space to turn the chair to face it. In the bathroom, there was no ventilation, no window, and a hole in the ceiling from which loose cables were hanging. The towels were child-size and one of them was dirty with what appeared to be hair-dye on it.

On the room door, there was a sign informing customers to tell reception immediately if the towels were dirty (never a good sign!) or they would be charged for this afterwards! As we only discovered this after returning from our restaurant in the evening, we were unable to do so, but made sure to note it down for our meeting with the manager. We made sure to spend as little time as possible in the room until we checked out.

When we came to reception to do so, a different, but equally impolite receptionist told us that the manager was not there. We were unimpressed but insisted we had an appointment, so she called him and confirmed that he was on his way. After a while, a "gentleman" approached us, asking what we wanted. We asked him if he was the manager and he replied that he just worked there. We told him that we had an appointment with the manager and he asked when. We said "10 o clock" and he actually shouted "Well, it isn't even ten yet!" (it was five past) at my girlfriend, drawing the attention of a number of guests eating their breakfasts to the exchange. We had not complained about waiting and had said nothing to prompt this outburst from him. I told him we were not interested in speaking to him any further, prompting him to walk away, shaking his head.

Shortly afterwards, the manager (owner) arrived and took us to the back office. We described the problems above to him. He used this as an opportunity to complain to us about how difficult it was to get good staff. When we told him about the dirty towel, he called reception, telling the person at the other end "if the cleaners leave one more dirty towel, they can go home and not come back", looking at us for approval afterwards. Having told him about the encounter with his employee that morning, he picked up the phone again, saying of this employee: "he's not allowed in the building any more. Any if anyone else lets him in, they can go home as well!", again waiting for our encouragement. I told him that the purpose of the meeting was not to make heads roll, but to express our disappointment so that he could improve the standards. His compensation for our two-day nightmare? A coffee and a bread roll for the road.

Disclaimer: all of these events actually happened. Avoid this hotel unless there are NO alternatives available to you.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Andy-in-Osnabrueck
Reviewed 29 November 2010

We got a double room, it had 2 single wooden beds joined together, 2 small nightstands, a wooden wardrobe, a very small desk, 2 chairs, a small old TV and clean fitted carpet. The bathroom was fairly spacious for a room of this type, it had a shower and large window for a bathroom.
In the breakfast, there was a choice of only white buns, jam, butter, cheese, ham. Also, 3 types of cereal with milk. For drinks, there was juice, tea and coffee. Located in a small area next to the reception.
It is an old building but most furniture is new, the doors, windows and carpets are new. The windows provide good sound proofing.Bathroom not very well ventilated. (For ventilation you need to open the window).
No special view, just a small but busy road.
Lighting not the best for reading.
Good heating system, both in the bedroom and bathroom. Feels like it is well insulated because it was very cold outside and we didn't need to have the heating on most of the time.
Be careful if you try to book a room online and confirm all your preferences by email because we completed the online form and they made mistakes like giving us a single room instead of a double and we had to pay for breakfast, even though we asked for no breakfast, as they only had a free room in the 'breakfast' building.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank FionaRomeo
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I have stayed several times and if all you want is somewhere to sleep this is great. They have clean rooms, clean bathrooms and breakfast if you can get up earlier enough. And at the right price for a beer weekend/5 days on the berg

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Please don't get me wrong - this is not a hotel to take your wife for a romantic weekend. Here you get exactly what you pay for - plus some nice extras which are not common in hotels of this price range (actually this is one of the cheapest places in Erlangen, if not the cheapest one). The hotel consists of two buildings, some 200 meters apart; they are both on similar level of standards. Location is quite central, near the theatre and the gardens, some 15 minutes' walk from Erlangen Arcaden. The rooms are very basic, but considering the price (30 EUR per night for single room) they are OK. Now the extras:
- free internet access (however bring your own LAN cable if you'll be staying at Harfenstrasse)
- they accept credit cards
- you can book online
The only real problem is with parking. On some occassions it took me 15 minutes driving round and round to find a place to park. And if you come before 19:00 the parking is not free anywhere near the hotel.
The hotel is OK for short stays,

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business