“Great Location, Very good food and bar” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Treff Alpenhotel Kronprinz Berchtesgaden

Treff Alpenhotel Kronprinz Berchtesgaden
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Berchtesgaden
Longwood, Florida
“Great Location, Very good food and bar”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We really enjoyed berchtesgaden so this is a great hotel if you have somewhat of a budget. I wasn't to impressed with our room as it faced a parking lot and was a bit of a cigarette smell throughout the hallways. Was a good sized room. There is a great bar downstairs with really good food and atmosphere, try the schnapps.

Room Tip: Make sure to find a room that has mountain views
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RichardGilliland83

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Queenstown, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

Hotel overlooks the township and is across from some fine mountain peaks: superb views but an uphill walk from town.

Stayed here for Christmas package. For Christmas day the food was offered as a choice from a set menu of 3 options. We were more than happy with what we got. It was a traditional German Christmas dish and served by helpful staff.

On one other day we didnt like the options and the staff were very accomodating and changed it to something we liked.

Breakfast was included and above average for this part of the world.

Rooms clean and well appointed. We had a balcony with superb vista. Unfortunately the bathroom door broke (fell off one hinge) and the hotel handyman wasnt around to fix it so it stayed that way until we left (hence service score marked down).

Bar downstairs is cozy, has great staff and opens at 6pm.

Value: overall good but perhaps a little expensive. Then again it was Christmas and expected to pay a premium.

A few people have commented about smoking. We are not smokers. Our room was smoke free and we couldnt detect any issues elsewhere in the hotel.

In our 4 day stay we were the only native English speakers we came across. That said, with the smattering of German we know (enough to be polite - we hope!) we got through fine. Plus everyone at the hotel spoke enough English to attend to our needs. That said, not all of the paperwork we came across had a english translation so we did have a few awkward moments but that is all part of the adventure.

Internet: no free internet. The hotel seems to have abandoned this service to a hotspot from the local telecom provider. The signal strength was weak to non-existent depending where you are in hotel. Given the limited English available this made life unusually tricky because we couldnt look anything up.

• Stayed December 2011
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

We went in December 2010.
The hotel is beautiful stunning scenery all around.
The room was alright, would have hoped for a little bit nicer but still ok.
Breakfast is great in a room with panoramic views of the mountains.
The staff are very nice.
The bar downstairs is amazing, the only proper "pub" in town!
We loved it and would stay again.

Room Tip: Mountain view a must.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IainGil
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

Having stayed at many five (5) star resorts and just a day prior in Munich at a (4) star , this one is disappointing for the money. To start the continental breakfast is weak, cheap (the cheapest) Champagne , re-warmed yesterdays buns, tacky, tacky interior decoration throughout and some of the serving staff even shakes their head if your have a special request (splitting the check between parties). The dinner food is “mediocre at best” .
Overall the place has a feeling of money troubles with cut backs wherever possible. There are much better choices for the money.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TravellerXTG
CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

I recently stayed here; am on business in Germany a took a weekend to get away. Upon check-in, I received a guest card that I used for the Documentation Center, Kehlsteinhaus (aka Eagle's Nest), and the parking lot. Parking was 2 Euro instead of 3; and I saved about 1-2 each at the Documentation Center and the bus for Kehlsteinhaus. Lunch up at the Kehlsteinhaus was 16 Euro for Bockwurst, 1 large beer, cheese cake, and coffee, just to give you an idea. One night I went down to the hotel bar and had 2 medium and 1 large beer, total was 9 Euro. I went to the Documentation Center first and spent 2-3 hours there (get there early; by the time I left it was shoulder to shoulder crowded); Eagle's Nest was overcast that day because it rained but I got some nice views about 30 minutes before I left. I would recommend a 2-3 hour stay up there; depends on what you want to do.
I spent 78 Euro each night (breakfast included) and it was more like a suite; went into the room to find two closets for clothes, plus a third for smaller items; also was a small safe in there. Room opened up into a living room with two couches and tv, and then another room that had the bedroom. It was a nice surprise as I just needed the place to sleep; the room was fairly clean so I had no problem with it. The front desk staff was helpful; the only two things I would have negative to say was the first day I went to breakfast, I was told that I couldn't sit in one of the rooms. The table I set my stuff at was clear when I put it there but when I went back there was a reserved sign on the table. Also, to get in the shower you have to step over (it's about 2-1/2 feet high), so it is very awkward getting in and out. When you check in, park somewhere on the street, they will give you a key to use for getting into the underground garage. Nearby Lake Konigseee is also a place to visit, very beautiful lake.
The day I left I spent the whole day in Salzburg, which was about 20 minutes away. Be sure to get your Vignette (toll sticker); I had a few friends who went into Austria without it and were hit with 120 Euro fines. I got my at a rest stop in Germany; it was 7.50 Euro for 10 days. Parked at the Mirabell Garage across from MiraBell Garden/Palace at around 9:30 am and left around 5 pm; cost was 15-16 Euro. When you get there, take your ticket with you, and you pay on the street in a small building that is streetside; you can pay with cash or credit card. Get the Salzburg card if you plan to visit alot of sights; it was 22-24 Euro, and all of the places I visited would have cost something like 35 Euro.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo