All reviews the river four poster bed vaulted cellar old town recommend villa top floor beautiful room our honeymoon romantic hotel perfect location superior room small hotel high ceilings lovely hotel corner room walking distance to everything short walk
Reviewed 8 November 2018

Stayed 4 nights while visiting family. I found the staff very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and clean and breakfast good with a nice variety on offer. Although central I didn't have any issues with noise (was top floor though with a nice view out over the river). Planning to stay here again when I next visit. Ceiling was a little low in places in the slanted roof but this didn't cause me any problems personally.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank a_morrison_000
Reviewed 1 November 2018

Stopped for one night driving to Italy. No onsite parking but was provided great detailed instructions on Public garages nearby. Booked a single room and although small it was quite clean, cozy and relaxing. Plus a great ceiling window where I could look out at the stars from my pillow. Left to early for breakfast but received a nice thank you letter email wishing me a good time in Italy. Great location in the old town but still very quite.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank jsweda
Reviewed 28 October 2018

I kept on hitting my head on the slanted walls of this top floor room and I am SHORT, just 164 cm or 5’4” ft. This was not the only reason why I wasn’t happy with this hotel. But first, what I liked:

The hotel is right in the middle of the lovely old town and very convenient. It’s at the river bank and therefore picturesque. The elevator was modern and fast. The view from my (small) window was nice; the bathroom in my room was large. The bed was comfortable. The heating worked. The W-Lan, though insecure, was fast.

However:

I booked Villa Marstall because of the overall raves in TripAdvisor. It may be the last time that I book a room because of good reviews.

What rubbed me the wrong way? A lot.

Much that I disliked had to do with style and aesthetics. The reality of the rooms is shoddier than one might think from the photos. The bed was way too large for the room. A mirror was poorly-placed, squeezed in behind the bed so it was partially masked. This made the room feel makeshift, definitely poorly thought out. It was booked as a double room occupied by one person. Two people would be EXTREMELY uncomfortable in this room. This room would function better with a single bed.

There was one small window so the room was dark. But as mentioned above, the view from the window was fine.

The furniture was faux antique, and painted white. It is banged up a bit. The desk, bed, wardrobe, everything, was scratched and ready to be banned to the basement party room. (Just joking, there was no party room.)

There was no place to put my suitcase to unpack except on the floor (which gets the suitcase dirty and you have to bend all the way down to take things out), or on the bed, which usually gets the bed dirty). I seriously don’t understand how a hotel can offer a room without at least a folding suitcase stand.

The flat screen TV was secured on the wall, its ugly cords (antenna and electrical) crawling along the wall to the power outlet. There was a blue standby light on the TV that I couldn’t turn off with the remote. It was bothersome at night. I had to pull the plug out.

The W-Lan was okay, however it didn’t work immediately. I had to trek back downstairs to ask why. They told me to use a different network, which I did. It worked. But why didn’t they tell me that from the start? Wouldn’t that have been easier?

The bathroom door squeaked terribly and wouldn’t stay open. So if you were listening to something on the TV and went into the bathroom for something, the door would just close on you with an angry squeak.

The magnifying mirror in the bathroom was smudged with fingerprints and had such an extreme magnification that it was impossible to see anything. This should definitely be replaced. Most people aren’t that blind.

The breakfast was downstairs in the dark dungeon … I mean in the dark vault, the walls of stone were as old as the house itself. Some people might find it romantic. I thought it was kitsch. The breakfast itself was adequate if run-of-the-mill, with an assortment of cold cuts and cheese. It was not worth the 12 Euros. I would definitely suggest going to a café up the street.

So all in all I felt that this hotel was not worth the price. And definitely not worth the bumps on my head from the slanted walls.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 21 October 2018

Our stay at Villa Mastrall was very enjoyable starting from checking in with Ursulla to having Breakfast prepared by Gabi. Location was great, walking distance to old town, the castle & all restaurants. They were so nice to accommodate us with the gluten free diet. We definitely will stay at Villa Mastrall if we go back to the lovely Heidelberg.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Juju M
Reviewed 19 October 2018

Charming historical building beautifully modernized including excellent sound protection on doors and windows. Perfect location in the Heidelberg Altstadt (old town) with one side of the building facing the Neckar river. Excellent breakfast buffet in the cellar with nicely restored vaulted ceilings. The perfect place to stay if you come to Heidelberg to experience "picturebook Germany". Very friendly and helpful staff with everybody speaking English very well. Good size digital TV with a number of non-German language channels, well working free wifi (at least for e-mail, browsing, and audio -- not sure about longer videos).
Nothing really we would complain about, but some of the rooms (including ours) are rather small. Height was the dominant dimension. But we felt well compensated by the river view. Also, people with walking problems may find it difficult to walk up to the level where the elevator starts or make it down to the cellar for breakfast. And if you come by car, there is no parking in close proximity. All these are not issues for us, so we will gladly stay there again.

Room tip: Rooms on the second floor have very high ceilings, but can be rather small.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple