All reviewsthe riverfour poster bedvaulted cellarold townwine cellartop floorromantic hotelbeautiful roomsuperior roomperfect locationsmall hotellovely hotelcorner roomwalking distance to everythingwould stay here againbusy streetthe main street
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed last December and if there is anywhere you want to see in fresh snow, it is the beautiful old town of Heidelberg at Christmas. Top picks for Christmas market towns: Heidelberg, Strasbourg and Colmar, hands down.

This charming hotel lives up to the promise of it's website and then some. There was a sparkling cleanliness to the rooms which was a refreshing cultural difference to the French! The breakfast buffet is good value and generous. Umbrellas were by the door on snowy days. Couldn't fault it, really.

Travel tip#1- Your train into Heidelberg will probably stop at Altstadt, which is only ten minutes walk along the river. Check the swiss rail website sbb for timetables.

Travel tip #2- Unless you are ninety years old, repeat after me, you do not need to take the funicular to Heidelberg castle.

Travel tip 3#- The best castle in the region is a day trip by train to Ludwigsburg- go early, do the English language tour, and rest in the belief that you've seen more of europe than you ever thought you would...

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I recently stayed at the hotel Villa Marstall for work. The service was excellent, rooms were adorable - location was perfect. This was my second stay and I'll be back again. Each room has its own touch of elegance - but cozy. The breakfast in the AM is just right for a busy traveler. Highly recommend! (but it really is a best-kept secret in Heidelberg). Great memories!

Room Tip: All rooms offer a great view. Some of the river which is very nice.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Visited our daughter who is in college this year in Heidelberg for 3 nights. Very cold in February but the hotel room was excellent - spacious, clean, nice view of the river. Excellent and friendly staff. Close to the old town and good restaurants. Parking is offsite and a walk but it worked fine with the hotel discount at the garage P2. Couldn't recommend it more. Also, very easy to ask questions beforehand by email as the staff is quick to respond, excellent English and very friendly. Thanks Villa Marstall!

Room Tip: The river view was lovely - worth requesting
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I and 3 colleagues stayed here in October 2011 and 3 of the 4 rooms were as shown on the website. The 3 rooms that were quite good were on the lower or middle floors.
My room was unfortunately on the top floor and was not good at all and certainly not what I expected. It was a tiny loft style room with sloping ceilings that I bumped my head into 3 times on the first night. That was not the worst aspect of this room though.
As soon as I entered the room I was overwhelmed with the uncomfortable hot temperature. To my dismay, I found that there was no individual temperature control.
I returned to reception and asked for assistance only to be told that there was a single point of temperature control for the whole hotel and thSt it could not be turned down as that would make other rooms on lower floors too cold.
I asked if I could be moved to another room and was told there were no other rooms available and that I should simply open the window.
I ended up spending the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel in 20 years of global business travel. Had to sleep on top of bed with no covers, sweating profusely with window wide open. To top things off after finally falling asleep in early hours of morning, awoke an hour or so later only to find numerous insects had entered room through window and were biting away at me.
That was it for me. In the morning I calmly and politely asked receptionist if I could change rooms for next 2 nights. Told it was not possible and that I must respect reservation for next 2 nights in the same room. I could not do that so checked out and found another hotel for remaining 2 nights in Heidelberg.when I checked credit card statement upon return home, found that hotel had billed me for 2 extra nights. I called and spoke to manager and explained situation again and asked to reverse charges as I had done everything in my power to find comfort in this hotel. She refused and said I was typical foreigner trying to abuse system. I have travelled extensively for 20 years and have never once found need to check out of hotel early.
I contested charge with credit card company and after a couple of rounds of detailed written explanations they accepted my story and returned charge to hotel.
Again, my 3 colleagues rooms were fine but top floor lift room was just brutal, as was the customer service.

• Stayed: October 2011
6  Thank canaussie95
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Everything about this hotel is outstanding. The location is perfect, in the old section of the city overlooking the Tauber, yet very quiet since the windows are so well insulated. Rooms are tastefully decorated in soft creams with a blend of traditional and modern that compliments the property perfectly. All the staff, including the owner was incredibly helpful and friendly. I loved the serene setting for the breakfast in the cellar each morning. What a great way to start your day! I

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family