“Excellent restaurant - perfect price benefit ratio!”
Review of Wolfshoehle

Wolfshoehle
Price range: USD 40 - USD 154
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We went there for having lunch! What a great experience, again! The restaurant, located in the middle of the old town of Freiburg, offers a broad band of delicious food, combined with local cuisine. The combination of herbs and spices results into fantastic dishes, all cooked to perfection. We enjoyed that meal and we can strongly recommend to go there for sure. The ambiance is nice, but the service is fantastic. The staff: young, friendly, modern dressed (stylish uniforms in combination with red sneakers - what a great idea)! Not white liveried waiters where you have the feeling they are upper class while you are "only the guest". The hosts: a warm welcome for you even you are not one of the frequent guests. It is highly appreciated! We will come again and we will advertise this location to all our friends, too.

1  Thank Martin L

Reviewed 26 January 2018

I studied abroad in Freiburg for 5 months and I planned to end my trip with a bang and I did so at Wolfshoehle. I love food and it is one of my favorite parts of traveling, I was so excited about coming here that I booked my reservation months in advance. Wolfshoehle did not let me down, yes the food is expensive but in my opinion it is absolutely worth it. I went with the degustation menu along with the wine pairings and I also started off with a glass of champagne. All of the food is phenomenal and the wine went with each course perfectly. At the beginning of the meal my waitress asked if there was anything I did not like or want and made sure to tailor the meal to what I wanted. She explained each bottle of wine and allowed me to taste it before pouring a whole glass, the courses were explained with equal detail. The dessert involved rhubarb and I personally hate rhubarb but I forgot to mention that, I obviously ate the course anyway and I was so glad I did! It was delicious! The chef here is incredibly talented and that is obvious in each course but the fact that he made rhubarb into something so delicious really amazed me. I would love to come back here.

Reviewed 13 January 2018

Wolfshöhle was a highlight of our trip five years ago and we were delighted to return there for lunch in December, 2017. We were able to get a table with no problem and sat in a sunny room filled with modern glass sculptures.

We opted for the surprise tasting menu with accompanying “flight” of wines. Oftentimes when going down this route, there is a dish or two that has to be tolerated, rather than enjoyed, but every dish on this menu was a pleasure from first bite to last. I didn’t fully understand what the pre-starter was, but it was a tasty soup served with a crispy ball of black pudding, I think, and a basket of bread. Next came a delicious plate of bite-sized fried goose, served on radicchio and numerous flavoursome vegetables. I’m not a big fish fan, but the tender halibut served with pak choi was wonderful and it was paired with a very unusual white wine (now I know why wine experts refer to “petrol” aroma, but it worked). The main course was butter-tender venison, which must be a mainstay on the restaurant’s menu, as we had almost the same dish in 2013. It was served with potatoes cooked three ways, which I found a bit tiresome. There was a cup of what I think was minced venison, very savoury, topped with creamed potatoes, which was so rich I couldn’t finish it. The dessert was outstanding: chocolate mousse with a layer of jelly flavoured with Glühwein spices, another layer of marzipan, and served on a crumbled biscuit base. The whole thing was covered with chocolate ganache and served with a quenelle of sorbet on the side. All of the accompanying wines were perfect, and the raspberry cake and coffee served at the end rounded off the meal nicely.

The waiting staff were informative and the chef himself greeted us at the door as we were leaving. It was a last-minute decision to return to Wolfshöhle on the final day of our holiday, and I’m very glad we went.

Reviewed 31 December 2017

The chef has a star and you can really notice it. The food was just amazing, so delicious with unusual tastes that really work. Having said that, I felt it was priced a bit too high. We ordered the 3-course meal as vegetarians and I realized that had I ordered the appetizer, main course and dessert separately, it would have been much cheaper. The meat eaters got a LOT more value for their money and the veggy option should be cheaper.

Reviewed 28 December 2017

This was our second visit in this discrete but surprisingly good restaurant. Very professional welcome, good service and high quality cuisine offering classical dishes with a discrete touch of originality. Both our fish and meat cooking were perfectly mastered. Small choice of wine by the glass, good coffee. Good location in the old city, right next to a big convenient indoor parking. The room is walled with dark wood making it a bit austere despite some color paintings. Prices rather high, but the quality is there.