“Spacious rooms, friendly service, good breakfast” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Park Hotel Grenoble - MGallery by Sofitel

Park Hotel Grenoble - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Grenoble
Central Scotland
“Spacious rooms, friendly service, good breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

I found it difficult to decide between 3 and 4 stars for the hotel. My stay was short - arriving late one night and leaving early the following morning. So I wanted a stress free stay and a good sleep.

Good

Lots of space in the room
Great bathroom
Comfy chair to sit and read
Breakfast was great - lots of choice and they offered unprompted to make some eggs
All of the staff were very friendly

Not so good

I am not particularly tall but the bed seemed very short - I slept diagonally
The lights in the corridor outside my room so I ended up feeling my way along the wall in the dark to find the door
The code for free wifi didn't work so I needed to make a trip back to reception for another (it is free but only works with one device at a time which can be frustrating when using a work computer and an iPad/iPhone.
I had anticipated the lack of iron and brought along an ironed shirt. Would have been annoying otherwise.

In conclusion, I would have no objection to staying here again for business (but not for pleasure) for a short period but will probably try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Worcester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Having spent a week ski-ing in La Plagne, we Stayed at The Park Hotel for just one night on Saturday January 21st so that we were close to the airport for the next morning. On arrival we had some "fun and games" with the female receptionist who seemed a bit "weird" or "unusual" and because of her, we thought that we had made a big mistake. It turned out that we hadn't. We are experienced enough thankfully, not to judge the entire experience based on one oddball.

Because of our initial experience, as soon as we checked in we decided to go exploring and leave the hotel behind.

On our return there had been a change of front desk staff and the difference was incredible. The welcome we had from these staff was very pleasant indeed, and we felt most welcome at last.

We had booked dinner at the hotel and that was probably our best decision all week. The meal was one of the best that we have ever had and considering some of the restaurants that we have been fortunate to eat in, that is saying a lot. The meal was faultless as was the service. Apparently this restaurant does not have a Michelin Star. I do not know why. It should easily have one.

The Hotel itself is an old fashioned type of hotel but is none the worse because of that. The room was very spacious and everything was geared toward the enjoyment of guests.

I thouroughly recommend this hotel and it's wonderful restaurant. It is somewhat expensive but in our opinion that expense is worth it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank LG798500
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

I stayed here while traveling in Grenoble on business.

The hotel is old but the rooms are nicely appointed and spacious. The elevator is tiny and they have no irons in the rooms. I always find this annoying and it seems to be more prevalent in France than in other European countries. Anyway, now you know.

The restaurant is very good but pricey. I had lunch with a coworker and our bill was about $100USD. We did have a glass of wine each but this place is not cheap. I had breakfast via room service each morning and while it was excellent, it wasn't cheap either.

One reviewer mentioned that she had to leave her room key with reception each day. I did not find this as I kept my key and my room was cleaned each day.

I would recommend this hotel for business travelers but I don't know if I would stay here if I were traveling for pleasure.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
South Lake Tahoe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend who was here on business. While it's considered the nicest hotel in Grenoble, it's got a darker, old-fashioned feel when compared to more modern hotels of the same star rating. I'm not sure if it's a France thing, but there are no irons in the rooms, and you are forced to pay for the housekeeper to press shirts. The hotel restaurant is of high caliber, and as such, breakfast is a bit pricier than in other hotels. The service is formal, and it's one of those old-fashioned hotels that has keys - one per room - that you leave with reception when you go out.

Our room was fine, overlooking the Place Paul Mistral, with lots of floor space, decent closet space, and a minibar fridge that allowed for us to store some of our own sundries. Nice mattress, though the light switches confused the heck out of both of us, and that European tendency to provide a half-glass door in the shower resulted in an excess of water on the floor for unskilled Americans like us. Windows can be opened, but as the hotel sits on two streets that see a fair bit of traffic, it can be noisy.

Overall a fine hotel, though it felt more like a hotel that catered specifically to business clients. It's not a place I would consider otherwise, primarily because it is so pricey.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room, but not the top floor (4th?) which is under the private apartments located in t...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank TahoeJenn
NY/Westport/Provence
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2010

I travel throughout France every few months as my business has me traveling from Nice across to Biarritz. Aside from that, I have spent the last 20 years exploring all the regions of France. I am writing reviews on some of the more memorable Hotels and Restaurants , from a 3* michelin to a local bistro gem.

The Park Hotel was a wonderful experience. Grenoble is a beautiful city to explore and the views of the mountains ciricle the city like a panorama. This Hotel absolutely adds to this special ambiance. First. It is the top 4/5* hotel in town and thank godness. For those of us who like 'the 'top' when traveling, you couldn't do much better in this area of the Savoie. The building itself has more of a comfortable, clubby feel than a big modern hotel and the wonderful staff emulate that feeling as well. The lobby and hotel restaurant (we dined there one night when we were too tired to walk to the nearby 'trendy dining quarter. It does not profess to be a 'Restaurant gastronomique'..but it was very , very nice. Comfortable booth with a potage legumes, lovely pasta pomodoro and fine local wine that were just perfect for this rainy night after too much walking during the day...at a moderate price'), have had great attention paid to all details and the result justifies the means as you feel renewed every time you enter the hotel. The rooms fromj Superior to Executive are lovely. Again that Club like feel with expensive comfortable furniture and the most luxurious beds and bathroom. We were upgraded for free from a Superior to an Executive and the views of the mountains with the lovely room was a wonderful combo. Breakfast in the room while looking at the morning view, andample room to enjoy a breakfast for two in leisurely fashion was another highlight. The trendy nightime quarter where the locals go to dine and where we found two amazing bistros at very reasonable prices were a short wak from the Hotel. Grenoble is a town for walking and the location , although not in the direct center of town...actually benifited from being just a bit off of centreville. Still..it is in the heartof the city. Grenoble is a wonderful base to take day trips in many directions to discover this amazing region of stunning beauty as well as small antique shops along the roads, little bistros and small anicnet villages. The special rates for the hotel are 1/2 of what you would pay in Paris for a hotel of this caliber. A lovely two day stop over on the way to the South from the North of France.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple