“Nice hotel in Grenoble”

Park Hotel Grenoble - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Grenoble
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I stayed here while traveling in Grenoble on business.

The hotel is old but the rooms are nicely appointed and spacious. The elevator is tiny and they have no irons in the rooms. I always find this annoying and it seems to be more prevalent in France than in other European countries. Anyway, now you know.

The restaurant is very good but pricey. I had lunch with a coworker and our bill was about $100USD. We did have a glass of wine each but this place is not cheap. I had breakfast via room service each morning and while it was excellent, it wasn't cheap either.

One reviewer mentioned that she had to leave her room key with reception each day. I did not find this as I kept my key and my room was cleaned each day.

I would recommend this hotel for business travelers but I don't know if I would stay here if I were traveling for pleasure.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 November 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend who was here on business. While it's considered the nicest hotel in Grenoble, it's got a darker, old-fashioned feel when compared to more modern hotels of the same star rating. I'm not sure if it's a France thing, but there are no irons in the rooms, and you are forced to pay for the housekeeper to press shirts. The hotel restaurant is of high caliber, and as such, breakfast is a bit pricier than in other hotels. The service is formal, and it's one of those old-fashioned hotels that has keys - one per room - that you leave with reception when you go out.

Our room was fine, overlooking the Place Paul Mistral, with lots of floor space, decent closet space, and a minibar fridge that allowed for us to store some of our own sundries. Nice mattress, though the light switches confused the heck out of both of us, and that European tendency to provide a half-glass door in the shower resulted in an excess of water on the floor for unskilled Americans like us. Windows can be opened, but as the hotel sits on two streets that see a fair bit of traffic, it can be noisy.

Overall a fine hotel, though it felt more like a hotel that catered specifically to business clients. It's not a place I would consider otherwise, primarily because it is so pricey.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room, but not the top floor (4th?) which is under the private apartments located in t...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TahoeJenn
Reviewed 27 April 2010

I travel throughout France every few months as my business has me traveling from Nice across to Biarritz. Aside from that, I have spent the last 20 years exploring all the regions of France. I am writing reviews on some of the more memorable Hotels and Restaurants , from a 3* michelin to a local bistro gem.

The Park Hotel was a wonderful experience. Grenoble is a beautiful city to explore and the views of the mountains ciricle the city like a panorama. This Hotel absolutely adds to this special ambiance. First. It is the top 4/5* hotel in town and thank godness. For those of us who like 'the 'top' when traveling, you couldn't do much better in this area of the Savoie. The building itself has more of a comfortable, clubby feel than a big modern hotel and the wonderful staff emulate that feeling as well. The lobby and hotel restaurant (we dined there one night when we were too tired to walk to the nearby 'trendy dining quarter. It does not profess to be a 'Restaurant gastronomique'..but it was very , very nice. Comfortable booth with a potage legumes, lovely pasta pomodoro and fine local wine that were just perfect for this rainy night after too much walking during the day...at a moderate price'), have had great attention paid to all details and the result justifies the means as you feel renewed every time you enter the hotel. The rooms fromj Superior to Executive are lovely. Again that Club like feel with expensive comfortable furniture and the most luxurious beds and bathroom. We were upgraded for free from a Superior to an Executive and the views of the mountains with the lovely room was a wonderful combo. Breakfast in the room while looking at the morning view, andample room to enjoy a breakfast for two in leisurely fashion was another highlight. The trendy nightime quarter where the locals go to dine and where we found two amazing bistros at very reasonable prices were a short wak from the Hotel. Grenoble is a town for walking and the location , although not in the direct center of town...actually benifited from being just a bit off of centreville. Still..it is in the heartof the city. Grenoble is a wonderful base to take day trips in many directions to discover this amazing region of stunning beauty as well as small antique shops along the roads, little bistros and small anicnet villages. The special rates for the hotel are 1/2 of what you would pay in Paris for a hotel of this caliber. A lovely two day stop over on the way to the South from the North of France.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LeTerrible
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I'm writing this during my stay at the hotel. I stayed three nights, and while the hotel would meet the expectations of a clean two star hotel, that's where it would end. I'm a big fan of Grenoble, as I lived here for some time, and love the city. I selected the hotel for its location. In the three mornings I was here, the restaurant was completed closed for breakfast on two of them. The restaurant and bar was closed for dinner entirely on Sunday night, and both were closed by eleven pm on Saturday. I waited for twenty-five minutes for a coffee in the lobby because the desk person could not find the waiter. When I called and asked for an extra pillow it was "impossible" as the laundry was closed. When I asked for an iron that was also impossible until the next day. How a four star hotel cannot produce a pillow with fifty empty rooms is a tough one for me to handle. When I arrived on Sunday night and asked what would be open for dinner, I was told "McDonalds." When I asked about the number of Brasserie's I knew would be open (as I recall them from living here) I was given actual suggestions. There is no fitness center, no business center, and nothing exceptional about the hotel. I never saw a person in the restaurant at any point, and of the five staff people I saw, four of them look like they are twenty-two or three. (So not the savvy, experienced staff.)

On the flip side the rooms are clean and furnished competently. Internet was free. The Park Hotel is not a bad place to stay but I had a better experience at the Mercure, and for less per night.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank SJTravele_SanJose
Reviewed 24 January 2009

I spent 4 nights at this hotel. I was in Grenoble on business so this hotel was booked and paid for by my company. It cost 140 euros a night. I would not have paid that much for an average hotel.
The reception and the bar were very nice and the staff really helpful and pleasant.
The rooms are of a decent size but are very dated and a bit tired.
Personally I have paid a lot less for a hotel and got a whole lot more.
Cheers
Davie

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)