We booked a 5* spa hotel as a special weekend break to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. However, upon arrival we were disappointed to see that our room was far from 5*. We were informed by the reception staff that there were no alternative rooms available. We have previously stayed in many other 5* hotels around the world and in Europe, and it is clear to say that the hotel does not meet the same standard as other 5* hotels.
I have summarised the main issues below:
- Room very run down, the bathroom and terrace had pealing paint and the balcony door would not shut or lock properly.
- We booked a restaurant table from the bar, and were informed that we could sit on the terrace by the hedge bordering the pool.
- We pre-ordered our meal from the menu whilst at the bar terrace.
- We mentioned to the waiter that we would like eat at around 8pm, when no-one came to inform us that our dinner was ready by 8.20 pm we mentioned to the waiters we were ready to eat.
- We were taken to our table and canapes arrived which we started to eat whilst looking at the wine menu.
- The waiter seemed surprised we had pre ordered our food and asked us which waiter we had ordered with.
- The waiter then went off and came back and mentioned we had ordered from the bistro menu and that we were sat in the Gastronomic restaurant.
- We were then informed we would have to be moved to the bistro terrace around to corner.
- The waiter picked up our canapes in front of the other diners and we were moved to the terrace around the corner.
- This was a very embarrassing moment for both of us, given that the restaurant was not very full and that the waiters had allowed us to sit in the wrong place, this is not the service we would expect from a 5* spa hotel.
- The new terrace was no where near as nice, and if we had known that we would have to sit there we would not have booked a table.
- We ordered the “ Oeufs Cocote” for a starter, when this arrived the dish contained Foie Gras which my wife does not eat. There was no mention on the menu that the dish contained Foie Gras and therefore she was unable to eat her starter.
- On mentioning this to the waiter he mentioned that she was not the first person to complain about that during the evening.
- At no point was an alternative starter offered and we were still charged for 2 courses although my wife was only able to eat 1 course, again very very disappointing as this was supposed to be a special meal for our 21st wedding anniversary.
- Whilst sitting at the table the arm on my wife’s chair broke, this is dangerous and a child or elderly person could have fallen or hurt themselves.
- Upon mentioning the above failings in the restaurant 2 staff members apologised but no action was ever taken to rectify the issues.
Whist pointing out the short comings of our break, it is important to also point out some of the positives points which were:
- We found the staff very welcoming.
- We were showed around the hotel and facilities on arrival.
- Champagne and rose petals were placed in our room for our anniversary.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Vallon de Valrugues is a 5 star Hotel and Spa with 48 rooms and suites, elegant and personalized, mostly renovated in 2014. The Hotel is ideally located in a quiet area just 600 meters from the center of Saint Remy de Provence. You will enjoy discovering the gastronomic restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, lastminute.com.au, Expedia APAC, ACCOR, Agoda, Booking.com, Wotif.com, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Le Vallon de Valrugues & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Le Vallon De Valrugues And Spa
- Hotel Le Vallon De Valrugues St-Remy-De-Provence
- Vallon De Valrugues