2,268 results
All reviewsbeautiful hotelclarins spanotre dame de la gardeterrace barold portconcierge deskhistoric buildingvieux portindoor poolfive star hotelview of notre dameexecutive rooman upgradelarge terracepanier districtbreakfast buffetspecial thanks
Reviewed 11 November 2015

One of the best hotels we have stayed in. Truly a five star hotel in terms of the rooms, service and unbelievable location. Rates are reasonable for this quality of accomodations. Special mention is made of the exemplary service of the concierge,
particularly Audrey who went out of her way to assist my fellow traveller and hotel guest who had a medical emergency. Overall, one of the finest in Europe.

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 November 2015

My wife and I spent a leisure night at IC Marseille Hotel Dieu this summer, and this was a very enjoyable experience.

The building has been renovated from a 18th century historical monument (a former hospital !). The restauration and transformation into a modern hotel has been carried out very tastefully, keeping intact the impressive outside structure on the outside and installing a luxury hotel inside.
Location-wise, the hotel borders the charming old quarter of “Le Panier” to which you can start your visit on foot, overlooks the picturesque old harbor which is also within short walking distance, and faces the hill with “La Bonne Mere” (Notre-Dame basilica), a lot of rooms having a great view over the last two famous places.
The location, while being very central, is also very quiet. Overall, perfect location although, just a word of caution, some guests with a bit of walking difficulties could find climbing up to the hotel a bit strenuous. But in that case a cab can bring you right up to the lobby entrance. Alternatively, there is also a valet service to take care of your car.
Rooms are of reasonable size. Not huge but suitable and well equipped. Some, like our Executive room, have a private terrace overlooking the harbor and giving great view over the city and providing cozy sofas and chairs.
It may be because of this terrace that the room is not as large as some on the lower floors without a terrace. But in any case we loved the one we had.
Rooms are tastefully appointed, nothing fancy but overall pleasant, and bathrooms are great : ours had both bath tub and walk-in shower, all in great condition.
Bedding is top class, as is usually the case at Intercontinental.

There is a Spa and a pool but we did not have time to try those… Spa seems priced on the very high side, though, even for an Intercontinental I think.

We have found the concierge team to be diligent and friendly to help book restaurants and activities (a special thank to Ramzi).

F&B : great breakfast on the 1st floor terrace, with great view. That is also where the brasserie “Les Fenetres” is operating at mid-day. Unfortunately the Michelin star restaurant was on yearly shutdown so we had one lunch at the brasserie, also located on this magnificent 1st floor terrace, and enjoyed both the view and the food. Between others, I can recommend their version of the “pissaladiere”, a delicious local classic caramelized onions tart with delicious anchovies on top… This brasserie can also be a great place for a pleasant business lunch, so it’s obviously a good idea to book a bit in advance to avoid any disappointment, as the capacity is limited (this might sometimes also be an issue for breakfast service. But I suppose the management is taking care of that).
While you are on the terrace, do not hesitate to go have a look at the two massive stairways, one located on each side. They are stunning.

All in all, we had a too short but perfect stay there and highly recommend this establishment. This is high-value-for high-money of course, but it’s worth it.

A special note regarding handling of IHG Rewards top tier guests (Royal Ambassador):
I want to mention it because some guests had reported some teething problems on that front (mostly from older reviews). As far as we were concerned, we received perfect care and attention from the team, especially considering that we were on a redemption stay. It seems that the management has been working hard on that points and their efforts were not in vain. We definitively felt welcome and well taken care of.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Asilux
Reviewed 9 November 2015 via mobile

We stayed for a couple of nights in this hotel. As others have commented the entrance is stunning and walking into reception feels like you are walking into an art gallery the way it is set up. We had a room facing the port and the view was lovely although the room a little dark because it really needs two windows. Rooms are large and very comfortable. Bathrooms are huge with separate walk in shower and separate bath tub. Very tastefully done. It was my husband's birthday and they provided us with complimentary wine and spa access, although like others I agree you should not have to pay an access fee for the spa/fitness centre if you are a guest. Service is great and the staff very friendly. Bar is good too although has five star prices. We had breakfast outside the hotel - lots of cafes and bakeries near by and if you need it there is also a Starbucks close by. Had a fabulous stay and would return for our next visit.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2015

I stayed here for 2 nights and loved almost every minute of my stay. I checked in and was treated like royalty - I was shown to my upgraded room (I am top tier of the IHG rewards club) and was welcomed like an old friend. The room was fabulous and I could not have asked for better, either with layout and amenities or view. The view really was amazing.

The hotel is very modern - lots of blacks and whites all around and some funky artwork but it was very much in my taste. The room itself was a little more subdued but also very nice - and the bathroom was beautiful - lovey and big with separate bath, shower and toilet. I would say that I have seen more amenities in bathrooms such as this size in other hotels - I was given one tiny shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and moisturiser - I have got more in other less well equipped hotels.

I ate in the hotel bar for the first night - the hotel has some levels restaurant but they were a little 'fancy' for what I wanted and the bar accommodated me well. On this first night the waiter was very friendly and kept my glass topped up. The food was OK - maybe trying to be a bit clever with the asian hotdogs (too much bun in my opinion) but quite tasty. The cocktails were lovely - as good as I have had anywhere and the waiters choice of wine was first class (an not very expensive which was also a nice touch).

On the second night I felt a little less welcomed - there was a do in the bar and I was asked if I wanted to leave - I should have taken that as a hint as after that I could not get a drink for anything and eventually left and ordered room service - I actually felt like I was not part of the 'cool crowd' they were expecting!!!

Room service was nice though and the salad and cheese plate hit the mark - plus I had the gorgeous view from my room. However although the staff certainly didn't mean it , I did feel like I had been shooed away from the bar!

I had a treatment at the spa which was lovely - although I will say the spa and pool feel very disjointed - in fact so much so that I did not stay. The stream room and sauna were along a long corridor - I had to take a lift up to the pool and the treatment rooms were down a long corridor away from the spa - not joined up and in the end I did not stay any longer than my treatment. That treatment was very good - I loved the whole thing from start to finish.

I checked out quickly enough - the taxi I was given seemed expensive to get me to the train station and on the way he tried to insist he take me to the airport - glad I declined as it was 5 euro more expensive than not he way to the hotel and there was no traffic!

Overall this is a lovely hotel - beautiful architecture and wonderful staff - a few things take away from it being 100% first class but that is my experience - I am sure I was just unlucky. The decor, view and surroundings, along with the staff and experience make this a hotel you feel special in. If I am honest - it was like it was in its first year (it is year 3) and it has a tiny bit to go to compete with the best of the Intercontinental chain such as Paris or Hong Kong but it is close!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank aks120LasVegas
Reviewed 7 November 2015 via mobile

The hotel is perfectly located in the heart of Marseille. Really easy to move around and visit the city.

We took the small touristic train located in the vieux port to visit the basilic of Notre dame de la garde. It is really worth going up there super nice view. (Small tip: The time to be up there with the small train is too short, so just take the next train if you need more time)

We checked in with Katherine, really SLOW check in. She was not attentive, we have to asked her for a map of the city twice which she could not even fold after showing us where the hotel was located.

On the other hand we have to point out the good service and professionalism of Missen and Guillaume from the reception and Laura from the restaurant "Les Fenetres" (Although the exceptional work done by Laura it takes a long time to get served in the restaurant so it is better to avoid it if you are in a hurry)

The room was nicely decorated with a king size bed and big bathroom with a tub and a shower. We also appreciated the indoor swimming pool and the fitness room.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple