All reviews nice airport cap shopping centre sea view shuttle bus free shuttle service swimming pool hotel guests short break monte carlo restaurants and bars beach promenade star cafe minutes walk away sea front hotel restaurant french riviera yogurt
Reviewed 10 December 2014

Stayed here with my family for 3 days in Sept. This hotel is a great stay for a few reasons. Price, location, service, cleanliness. They have airport shuttle (5min) to Cote De Azur. Room price was reasonable comparing to staying in Monaco. Our room was clean, organized. No issues. The breakfast was very good, with a wide selection of choices, from hams, cheeses, breads, cereals, etc. Train (subway) to Monaco is close by and its about a 20min ride. Know the schedule because it doesn't run frequently. Taxi is also an option, keep in mind the 10min taxi ride will cost you 90euros. Cap3000 is a shopping mall, not overly expensive, within walking distance of the hotel. The hotel is located by the beach, mind you the beach area is small but private. A nice walking path along the back of the hotel runs for a few blocks along the beach and marina, there are countless restaurants and bars frequently enjoyed by locals and tourists. Hotel staff was fantastic, friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 December 2014

Stayed in November on business (very convenient for the airport). It was generally reasonably clean although the lobby is quite small and not very well lit. The room was pleasant, odd shape, but good bathroom. Comfortable bed. Restaurant was not open in the evening which was disappointing as arrived late. Good choice at breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in two rooms, drove to Nice in a rental vehicle. Reception was quite efficient as we are IHG members. Our stay was felt to be OK.
Pros:
5th Floor Rooms were spacious, with evidence of being recently refurbished.
Big comfortable beds, very quiet at this time of the year. Carpets seemed new, very clean as was the separate toilet and bathroom. Small balcony was nice, our's faces the streets at the front of the hotel.
Breakfast choices and quality slightly above average, if one ignores the somwhat burnt croissants on Saturday morning.
Good location for airport and restaurants on the promenade and the nearby shopping mall.

Cons:
Have to run the hot water tap for 15 minutes for the water to become hot at night and same in the morning. (Manager in suit came to our room and explained that it's a large system and hotel is quiet.) I guess we were the first to shower at night and first to wash in the morning on our floor, wasted a lot of clean water though.
No body lotion or conditioner. No soap on second day.
Restaurant not open in evening. Off season.
Power points low near the floor, phones and tablets on floor whilst being charged.
Separate toilet with no wash basin at entry means walking back 10 steps around to other side of bedroom to use bathroom basin.
Other reviews correct- restaurant staff pleasant, but reluctant to come near the tables until near end of breakfast.
The wardrobe doors were missing in our second room.
Checking out very efficient from nice reception lady.
In the end, no serious complaints other the the hot water issue, which we reported again when checking out.

Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Nice - Saint Laurent Du Var, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2014

Dear H L,

Thank you for sharing your experience online and being an IHG Rewards Club Member. I am glad you found our rooms and location commendable. However, we are very sorry you did not experience an exemplary hotel stay with regard to some amenities and services. Please be assured that all your feedback will be acted upon to ensure a more positive experience for your next stay and for future guests.

We hope you will consider us again and see the improvements made.

Dianne L
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 27 November 2014

Hotel and room very clean, and I believe I was in one of the refurbished rooms. My first impression from the reception on arrival when I asked where the pool was, was "we don't have a pool" when I mentioned that it stated there was a private beach area, she very abruptly said "it's closed, it's November" Well, I had lovely sunshine on my stay, albeit November, and it was a shame this facility was closed - which in fact means this hotel is not in line with IHG brand for Holiday Inn RESORT standards IF you go out of season.

My room had a very disappointing view - it was the city and mountain view - the mountain is so far away you can hardly see it from behind blocks of flats, and the city view was of the motorway and car park. It also has no sun coming onto the balcony at all, at any time of the day. The balcony was sufficient with just 2 plastic chairs but it would have been nice to have a small table. In line with the plastic chairs, a table would cost no more than around 10-15 euro's.

The only English TV chanel is the BBCnews - so you will probably want to watch a pay per view movie if you find yourself relaxing in the evening - don't bother, its not watchable. They changed the TV, and it was the same, I then asked to use a spare room to watch the movie, which they did allow, but it was not much better. Make sure you ask for the movie to be credited if it is a bad picture, as well as being muffled. A credit was not offered until I pushed the matter.

After staff could see I was really not happy with the personal service and the waiting time to get anything done, my guest and myself were offered a drink from the bar. They said they were 'busy' but November? busy? the hotel was empty.

This hotel is great if you need a stop-over for one night, but it would certainly not be for a holiday, apart from a shopping centre about 10 minutes walk away, there is nothing there at all. It's a good half an hour/45 minutes on the bus to get into Nice.

Although I was near to the lift, the floor was very quiet, and had no noise at all, possibly because no-one else was on my floor I don't know, but beds were comfortable and AC worked fine.

Wifi in the room was hit and miss - I took my work laptop as I was on business, and every time my comp went into standby, I had to re-connect - it was infuriating.

I am attaching photo's of the balcony view - you decide!

All in all, I can't recommend as a holiday hotel - but perhaps as a stop-over. Also used for airline crew I noticed, which says it all. I won't be going back.

Room Tip: Don't choose city/mountain view - bad view and no sun
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Nice - Saint Laurent Du Var, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2014

Dear M D,

Thank you for taking some time out of your busy day to leave us a comment regarding your stay. I am elated by the fact that you were able to find value in your stay, reflected on your fair ratings.

However, It is regretful to learn that you were not able to fully enjoy your experience with us due to the lack of in room facilities. In this regard, please be confident that all comments positive or negative are always taken seriously and that this matter has already been taken into account and was forwarded to the appropriate department.

Again, thank you for your thoughts and I hope to have the chance to show you our improvements and in return reward us with your unwavering loyalty.

Glenn M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 25 November 2014

Just back from a 2 night off season stay in Nice (November 2014).

Property
- the rooms are comfortable with bare basics, we had no issues as such
- the room had a nice big balcony and a pleasant view
- the hotel is definitely old and not very well maintained
- though the wall paper coming off does not impact my stay in any way, but yes it makes the room look shabby
- the plug points under the table were loose (the reason I noticed this was because I travelled with a mischievous 2.5 yr old) but again this did not impact my stay
- again somethings that dont impact the stay but were noticeable - quite few toiletteries, just one bottle each of shampoo and body wash, just 2 tea bags with no flavor options
- it definitely does not compare to the regular Holiday Inns and is far lower in quality (and to think it claims to be a resort!! if I keep that in mind then its disappointing)

Location
- the location is ok...airport and train access in short distance
- the train station is a 10 minute walk, though the lane where the station is located is not a very good area (I had second thoughts about walking back at night though nothing happened and probably its just me - there are garages, and automobile repair shops with a very deserted look)
- there are plenty of restaurants behind the hotel and food is definitely not a problem
- since it was off season most of the restaurants were closed on sunday night but we still had options
- there is a huge shopping center at a short walk from the hotel (just ask the reception which way to walk)
- if travelling with a small child, the train station has to be accessed over a foot bridge and its not pram friendly (in fact most of the area is not)

Logistics
- the ride from the airport is about 10 minutes and costs 25 euros (we landed at night after the free shuttle service was over, so we had to bargain around with the not-so-friendly taxi drivers who were asking for 40+ euros - coming from Germany this was a shock)
- so a better idea would be to ask the hotel to book a cab if the shuttle service is not available (this is what we did when we left early morning, and had no issues)

Staff
- have mixed views about the staff - they changed very frequently and I didnt like some
- to say the least...they were just not very welcoming and courteous...though no one misbehaved but you do expect some hospitality. they were quite 'dry'.
- my husband came down with a fever and the hotel driver drove us to the nearby mall to get some medicine (they didnt even charge for the ride)
- we asked for a map of Nice, enquired about how to go. we reached the station and found out there is a significantly reduced frequency of trains because of a strike - this is definitely something the hotel staff should have known and informed us when we were enquiring about Nice. This is basic information they should keep to avoid inconveniences to guests - after all whatever the season we are tourists and want to go around. Rest asured, we were not there to visit the great St Laurent !
- we also asked a little about the tickets (whether we could buy a day ticket n all) but the hotel staff didnt bother to guide us one bit. they said go to the station and buy 'any ticket u like'
- So all in all it was a mix but as a tourist a little more info and courtesy could help and I say this because I have been treated better at a number of other IHG hotels where staff are willing to go out of their way and guide/help

Other than that, breakfast was ok but very limited choices - again it does not match the IHG standards at all

If I rate this hotel as an IHG brand hotel, then its quite disappointing. Else my overall stay was rather uneventful and ok...nothing memorable

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
Eric T, Directeur général at Holiday Inn Nice - Saint Laurent Du Var, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2014

Dear GhumakkadCookie,

Thank you for your constructive feedback further to your recent stay.
You did mentioned that our rooms decoration is dating and it is my pleasure to anounce that 32 rooms have already been refurbished (obviously not the one you experienced) and we will refurbish 45 more room this winter time.
I am happy that you enjoyed our location with a huge shopping center (walking distance) and plenty of restaurant besides the hotel.
In terms of logistics, our shuttle service is always available for Airport transfert, as well as transportation to the the train station.
Be aware that on Sunday in France, traffic for train is limited. Our reception team is providing this information when asked for.
I will share your feedback today will all department head to always improve our service and our way of welcoming our guest.
With best regards.