“Basically a Travel lodge with a pool on the roof”

Novotel Nice Centre Vieux Nice
Ranked #53 of 203 Hotels in Nice
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

It's ok,
We got stung with an additional tax that we didn't know about,we booked online and it was hidden in the small print,but haven't encountered this before so just a word of warning.
Rooms were clean and tidy but minimal,little storage space.
Tea and coffee facility in the room but limited to one tea bag of each type minimal milk and paper cups which isn't really 4star in my opinion.
Air con but not great it's only the mid 20s at the moment and it's still quite hot at night with air con on max.
The hotels got a pool which is a nice feature for such a basic facility.
One thing to note would be with no private outdoor areas there is no where to dry towels etc this isn't a fault of the hotel but something to think about when booking if your visiting the beaches.
The transport links are good and very close to a tram stop which is handy as town is about a 30 minute walk away.
It's really not a 4star that you would think of,it's a budget hotel with a pool.
We got a good deal on the hotel by a last minute booking but I would have been really disappointed if I had to pay full price that was shown by the saving we made.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mcmanus_11
Pierre M, Directeur général at Novotel Nice Centre Vieux Nice, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Dear mcmanus_11,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback with the online community. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our central position in the city of Nice and also the cleanness of our rooms.

Concerning the city taxes that you paid at the check in time, it's local taxes for the city of Nice never include in the room rate (2.25€ per day and person)

I hope to welcome you back at the Novotel Nice Center Old Town for another stay on the beautiful French Riviera.
Kind Regards,

Pierre Messe

Write a ReviewReviews (1,180)

Reviewed 28 August 2017

Title says it all, but if you need details read ahead.
We arrived with my mother and 3 children in tow. I have stayed at Novotel hotels around the world for business trips or quick transit stops. My favorite by far is Novotel World Trade Center in Dubai for business. This is by far the worst.
Arriving late at night for a two day transit stop in Nice before heading home after a wonderful 3 week trip, we had requested connecting rooms. Assured by the desk that they were, we headed upstairs to discover "connecting" meant we were across the hallway from each other. Strike 1. I asked the reception about room service. I was told it closes at 12am. As it was only 11pm I placed a call once we were checked in and was told, bluntly, that they had nothing but Caesar salad and croque monsieur. Children are 12, 7 and 3. They went to bed hungry. Strike 2.
Rooms are on the small side - we had booked executive. The walls are thin! You can hear people talking, doors banging, furniture being rearranged above you. Was not a quiet 2 nights. Strike 3.
Room configuration is not ideal. Toilet at the entrance with no wash basin. Bathroom has a wash basin, stand in shower and tub. Only shampoo and body wash, and hand soap and two towels.
Breakfast is served until 9.30 am so woke everyone up to quickly dash to the packed breakfast area and discovered a semi decent selection of typical breakfast options. No live stations, no special orders, but still, decent.
Room service menu - served until 10pm is basic with no vegetarian options. Only options for us, we were told, was the veggie soup. Fail. Miserably.
Reception staff were cooperative enough but surly, maybe a Nice thing? Definitely not a French thing as we had traveled around France for our holiday and loved every second of it until our stay here.
Requested a late check out for the 2 rooms was told only one could have a late check out of 1pm. Reception staff member on the phone was beyond rude as I tried to explain that as a privileged member I was always afforded late check out. Late check out at other Novotel hotels were 3pm and 4pm - I was requesting 2pm. I was told, bluntly again, No. No "no, I'm sorry we wish we could accommodate you", but a firm No.
Check out was quick. One reception member was kind enough to locate my son's iPod that he had forgotten in the lobby.
Would not recommend for a family. Maybe a quick business stay. Maybe not even that.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Pierre M, Directeur général at Novotel Nice Centre Vieux Nice, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Dear Amal A,

I would like to thank you for sharing your impressions with us. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Novotel Nice Center Old Town, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer and be assured that this is not indicative of our usual standards.

It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future

Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 August 2017

The cleaning staff were brilliant, they brought the travel cot to us when we arrived. The rooms were in a good condition, cleaned well. It was a good experience. Didn't get to try the breakfast or food there unfortunately as we always left early and returned late. Used the swimming pool on the rooftop once - quite nice, kids love it.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Pierre M, Directeur général at Novotel Nice Centre Vieux Nice, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

Dear Dina B,

I will share your feedback with my team, be ensured that your satisfaction is my first goal.

I hope to welcome you for another stay on the French Riviera.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights, with our family of four. The staff were very friendly and polite. The breakfast was great, and there was lots of choice. We had dinner in the hotel one night, and it was well made, tasty and well priced. The restaurant seems it has been recently refurbished, and is Cosy and snug. We made use of the roof top pool which was a nice addition in the heat! We stayed on level four out of six of the hotel in a family suite. Overall this was a great stay, and I would recommend it to other families. We would definitely stay again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dear SouthseaBeach03,

Thank you for this great comment after your stay at the Novotel Nice Centre Vieux Nice. This is very pleasurable to know that you appreciated the kindness of my staff, our location, our swiming pool and buffet breakfast quality.

I hope to welcome you for another stay on the French Riviera.

Best Regards.