1,016 results
All reviews jazz theme old town executive room train station classic room reception staff city break french hotel the main shopping street breakfast was excellent fresh fruit hotel bar sea front long weekend tea and coffee within easy walking distance central location
Reviewed 22 October 2018 via mobile

Having recently stayed in The Hotel Ellington in Nice we were massively dissatisfied.
The room we booked through our Tour operator was an Executive Double. We complained immediately about the small, grubby room with stained carpet with street facing view. We were shown 2 more, which were all grubby and of no more than a 3 star standard room. We even showed reception the picture of the room we had booked and that all the rooms we had been offered were the basic rooms shown on their own website, just slightly different in size, but all of equally poor quality.
The reception suggested that maybe our expectations were too high for a 4 star hotel.
Having stayed in Nice before and having stayed all over Europe with the same tour operators, this is the first time we have ever complained about the standard of room.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tim H
HotelEllingtonNice, Directeur général at Hotel Ellington Nice Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2018

Dear Tim H,

We take good note of your feedback and be assured that the entire staff feels very concerned about your recent experience. Our guests satisfaction is and will always be our main goal here at Hotel Ellington Nice Centre****.

It is very unfortunate that none of our rooms were to your liking. We have many different room types and sizes with delightful colors, elegant furniture and a cosy atmosphere. Whether you prefer a bedroom with an authentic French style, or a modern one, we believe you could have found a room which would have suited your needs perfectly.

We remain at your disposal if you would like to speak with us directly on this matter, we would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Reviewed 18 October 2018 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel from Saturday 13th October until Wednesday 17th. Three years before I had a an excellent experience staying here, however this time was much different.
Firstly we had been on holiday in Amsterdam and Paris and this was the last stop on our tour. On arrival we were told we would have to put a 150€ deposit down ( so far unreturned!). We had not been forewarned of this. First night was ok but hotel Wi-Fi is fairly terrible. As a laundry service was advertised we put our laundry in the bag provided outside our door Sunday early morning. We had no list or price guide. When the laundry didn't turn up clean I went to the desk on Monday to ask what was wrong and was told I needed to sign a document so it could be returned. Not once was I ever shown or told how much this service cost. The reception area is very dark here so foolishly I trusted these people and signed the paper.
Also during the first night a sandwich forgotten half finished in our bag was found inundated with ants. We reported this and were given a can of Raid. We have pictures. My partner said the reaction showed they were not shocked by this. We continued to see ants in the room later on in our stay. Also I was badly bitten all over at night by either mosquitos or ants.
We came back to the hotel Tuesday early evening to find our laundry returned. Far too late as we had put it in Sunday and were flying Wednesday. Also attached was a bill for 220€!!! Imagine my shock. It was worth more than the clothes themselves. As it was only a junior member of staff on reception I went down at 8 Wednesday morning when the lady who was senior was on. The reaction was curt to say the least and although clearly I had signed to send off the laundry her reaction was like, so what, pay up. I think this was deliberate and just a way to make money. Never was the usurious bill ever warned about or was made clear how ridiculous it would be. I feel this was deliberate and sneaky way to make money off me.
When I had initially booked online I had miscalculated the number of days I would stay in Nice. Therefore I had to book another final night at the hotel. This should have meant breakfast would be 12€ each. At reception I was told no but it would be full price despite the offer they have. Needless to say I didn't have breakfast.
Finally as I left only then dud they tell me we had local tax to pay 16€.
All in all I would say this hotel is just a cynical money making exercise. I know in the UK this laundry rip off would not be legal. But who knows here? Suffice to say I will not be coming to this hotel again and neither will my friends who were regular visitors and who brought me the first time. Also be warned we had souvenirs from holiday that went missing but I didn't complain as I could not be certain 100% if it was taken from our room or lost to or from the hotel.
Angry and disappointed. A holiday spoiled!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank NeilP1805

Dear NeilP1805,

We were disappointed to read that you were so unhappy with your experience with us at Hotel Ellington Nice Centre****.
The 150€ which were taken upon your arrival is no deposit but just a preauthorisation. This is a standard procedure everywhere in the world!
I can confirm the preauthorisation was cancelled at your departure. Sometimes it takes few days to be returned to your account (due to international banking system).

It was really unfortunate that you forgot your half eaten sandwich in your bag which In turn brought the ants into your room; it is for this purpose that we ask clients to please not leave any food in their rooms for hygienic purposes.

Concerning the rates of the external laundry company, you can find all the information near the laundry bag. As you didn’t fill in the provided dry cleaning form, the receptionist filled it in for you and informed you of all the rates and conditions after which you had signed it. This means that you were FULLY AWARE of the totality of their price. We do not understand why you were surprised by your bill.

The local city tax is standard in Spain, Italy, France and many others countries in the world. The city tax was instituted by the law in April 1910 and was reformed in 1988 in France.
Therefore you must have paid it already when you stayed in Nice 3 years ago, and all the other cities that you had visited before Nice.

Reviewed 16 October 2018

Recently stayed at Hotel Ellington and found from start to finish a perfect stay. Taxi from Nice Airport was very good value at 40 Euro (with tip) with an extremely helpful and friendly driver. On arrival at the hotel, the Receptionist was friendly and very helpful and spoke extremely good English - my French is sadly very poor! Lift to our room which was a good size and very clean with all the usuals you would expect, Even had 4 small complementary bottles of water in the fridge which was a nice surprise. Toiletries were of a good quality and refreshed as required. Very quiet with windows closed and air con if required. Minor critisms were (as usual in all hotels) was the small bath towels and a small wardrobe but this was just enough for our few days away. Breakfast was included in our deal and was fresh and plentiful even when we arrived on our first morning quite late down it was constantly being topped up. Again all staff were friendly and helpful. Outside area to sit in either the sun or shade if you need a break from the constantly active City. Only a short walk into Nice which was needed after such a lovely breakfast as who can resist fresh pastries in France?? Would definitely love to visit Nice again and would stay at Hotel Ellington.

Date of stay: October 2018
HotelEllingtonNice, Directeur général at Hotel Ellington Nice Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2018

Dear Val J,

Thank you immensely for taking the time out of our day for leaving such a lovely and elaborate review about Hotel Ellington Nice Centre****.

We thank you for your nice compliment concerning our staff, they will greatly appreciate the good feedback you have given. We were also glad to read you appreciated the complimentary bottles of water, guests are usually quite thirsty after sometimes having to travel for hours to get here.
The room is indeed quiet with the windows being double glazed. The city of Nice is a lovely and lively city which means unfortunately that it’s also quite noisy so double glazing was a must. Of course we do have air conditionings in every room as it gets very hot here during summer and it’s always lovely returning to a cool room after have done some sightseeing or sunbathing at the beach.
As for the breakfast, we make sure it’s always fully stocked until the end to make sure every client gets their fill. It’s important to eat well before doing something as tiring as sightseeing!

Don’t forget to follow us on social media to keep up to date with current and upcoming events.

Reviewed 15 October 2018

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights and had a good experience. We were met at the reseption by friendly and helpful staff. The cleaning was good and the breakfast was delicious with several choices. the location is perfect, just a 8-10 min walk from the beach, but only 2 min from the main shopping street and 5 min from the railway station. we would very much like to come back,

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
HotelEllingtonNice, Directeur général at Hotel Ellington Nice Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2018

Hege S

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review about Hotel Ellington Nice Centre****.

We are pleased to read your compliment concerning our staff, they will be happy to hear you were content with their service.
It’s true that we are incredibly well situated here in the very centre of Nice, 10 minutes walk to the beach/the old city and not even 5 minutes from the main shopping street. Everything you need is within walking distance. It’s wonderful to read you enjoyed our breakfast. Our breakfast is rich in choice. We have food ranging from American style pancakes to French viennoiseries.

We do hope you come back soon!

Don’t forget to follow us on social medias to keep up to date with current and future events.

Reviewed 14 October 2018

Staff are very friendly, rooms disappointing and in need of a refurb'.
We were in a delux room which was tired with a safe with no lock and a dodgy door lock. Unlikely what we paid for.
The welcome drink was a bottle of water. Again, not what I expected.
Breakfast was ok but in a crowded room. Coffee not great.
Personally I was disappointed with what I paid.
The hotel is in a good location with great staff but needs some money spending on it.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Weegers,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about Hotel Ellington Nice Centre****.

We were surprised by some of the aspects of your comment. We do have various different types of room, the reception would have been happy to find you a different room more suited to your needs. The rooms range from classic rustic French style rooms to really modern style rooms, all ranging in different colours and sizes. Concerning the safe, the reception provides the missing lock which you simply place in the empty slot, after that you can keep your valuables safe in your room.

If you have any questions or if you would like to discuss these matters in further detail please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

We do hope you give us another chance and consider returning.