“Food and service good”

Ranked #110 of 625 Restaurants in Avignon
Price range: AU$30 - AU$49
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Paris-style Brasserie, in the center of Avignon, offering an authentic and convivial cuisine. Large offer including seafoods (live lobsters, crabs, oysters and shellfish), fresh daily specials and traditonnal French meals : escargots, andouillette, beef entrecote, foie gras, provencal fish soup,.. and handmade pastries. Enjoy a great moment of confort and gastronomy in our cozzy setting or on our tree-shadowed terrace. Service 7/7 - from 8:00 to 23:30 PM & Happy Hour from 05.00 PM to 07:00 PM
Reviewed 27 June 2016 via mobile

We had lunch here on a sunny Monday in summer. The service was friendly and prompt. The entrecôte with fries and salad was quite enjoyable. The Flammen Kuche (a rectangular thin pizza) was good as well.

1  Thank ozgals

Reviewed 25 June 2016

On Sunday many of the restaurants in Avignon are closed. The brasserie is open and was very crowded. Based on the orders of tables around us it looks like a good place for seafood. We did not order seafood. I had the ravioli which was very rich, but I'm still not sure what it was filled with. I asked and thought it was going to be jambon (ham), but it was filled with something green. My husband ordered the steak which had little flavor and was tough. The meal was twice what we had spent the night before, for food that was not as good.

Reviewed 13 June 2016

I've said it many times on this website. We love food; part of our vacation experience is to go to fine restaurants. This is not a fine restaurant, but it is a hospitable bistro that caters to tourists. Located on the main drag, it seems to be open all the time. We came here twice for dinner during our week in Avignon--once when we had eaten a hearty lunch and the other when we wanted to take a break from gourmet food. I only had omelettes here, and they were quite good. My husband thought their escargots were actually better than at some of the more fancier restaurants in town. Please note they are served in the shell and must be pried out. That may deter some from ordering them, but I suspect that the staff would have taken the snails out if requested. Because I try to gauge what will be good based upon the restaurant, I did not order a more sophisticated meal and cannot report on the fish, meat, etc. My mantra at a place like this is the simplier the better.

Date of visit: May 2016
1  Thank Myra S
Reviewed 13 June 2016

Early dinner for four posed a tad of a problem here; there was only one poor fellow manning all the tables, but he was cheerful and helpful and ready to take on our party with good humor. The menu is large and varied and provides lots of options for different tastes. Some of the menu has English subtitles, but not all, which is kind of odd.
So the food: My choucroute alsacienne was quite tasty and a very ample portion. The formule of 1 entrée and 1 plat (escargot and steak with fries was good too. But the entrecote that the other two in our party ordered was sorely lacking. First, we insisted that it not be rare, and yet that was what was delivered. Then when it came back, it was found to be full of gristle and connective tissue and was pretty tough to eat. When a manager (I think) saw that there was a lot of pieces left on the plate he commented on why it wasn't being eaten. He seemed concerned but then nothing was done about it. That just sort of left us cold. All in all this could have been a review of 4 if there was some attempt to correct a basically inedible meal. We won't be back.

Reviewed 8 June 2016

We arrived in Avignon later than planned and in urgent need of a good meal, only to find that all the restaurants in the centre had, not surprisingly, stopped serving by 10.30pm. Eventually one helpful waiter recommended Brasserie du Theatre which was easy to find right on the main street. Not only was it still open but we received a warm welcome, friendly service and what turned out to be one of the best meals of our trip. I can recommend the Salmon Tartar!

Date of visit: May 2016