All reviews lavender room other guests each morning wonderful hosts yogurt short drive recommend staying here early june home base our room was spacious wonderful stay stayed nights lovely pool caroline hubert herbs provence
Reviewed 10 September 2016

We were here for our honeymoon. I'll start with the pros: the place is beautiful, the bathroom was perfect (seriously, could not have been more pampering), we had the room with the A/C, which worked very well, the room was spacious, the breakfast was delicious and considerate towards special requests and it was easy to book direct via e-mail (Caroline, the owner, is fluent in English and was super friendly on the phone/mail)
The cons:
Aix was a huge disappointment. When people told me "it's a university city" I didn't quite realize it meant it all felt like a big Frat House. None of the charm of the villages of Provence, and not nearly enough chic to compare with the Cote d'Azur gems. So just – bleh. The only reason we were in this BNB in the first place was to be in Aix. If you are wondering if you should use Aix as a base for your trip – the answer is NO!

But this detail aside, there are a few cons to the BNB itself:

First off – the owners gave us a strong feeling of having done something wrong almost throughout our stay. I can't quite pinpoint it – if it's just a kind of aloofness, or cultural differences, but we didn't feel as welcome as we felt in the 5 other places we slept in during our trip. Only at the very end of our stay we felt Caroline "warmed up" to us, and the visit did end on a very positive note, eventually, she was very helpful and sweet at those last few hours. Strange.. but, whatever.

Location: The BNB itself is 10 minutes drive away from center-city. Which wouldn’t be such a big deal if you could park in the center of Aix, but you can't. You have to walk about 10 minutes from the parking on the outskirts to get almost anywhere in the city… (not including the time it takes to get in and out of the car, find parking, pay for it etc…) which basically means is takes at least half an hour to get to and from and BNB anytime you go out, so if you have a lot of plans, or even want to "just hop back to take a shower", consider a round trip like that could take you an hour (not including that precious shower time). So this really isn't the kind of place you want to be unless you have very few plans. It is not a good place to "explore the city" from. Going out for meals can get really tiresome. We didn't have time to enjoy the complementary wine and the pool, unfortunately.
The staircase to the rooms is extremely steep – and I mean EXTREMELY. Don't bring a lot of luggage.
The living room area is not air-conditioned, so it's useless during the summer – it's stuffy and uncomfortable. Which is a problem, since it's the only room with WIFI in the BNB. There are really mean mosquitos during all hours of the day, so seating outside is also a little risky.

The value for money wasn't great, considering other places we've been, but that's also characteristic of Aix. Another reason to keep away from this city.

If you do decide to stay here, keep in mind that there is only one room for rent with an A/C – and the heat during the summer months can be unbearable.

Bottom line- wouldn't go back myself, but I wouldn't say it's not a nice place... I'd probably like it a lot more if it was located elsewhere.

Room Tip: Cote Cour room - only one with A/C, but with little natural light
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
6  Thank SupernovaSurvivor
Reviewed 10 September 2016 via mobile

My family and I stayed 3 nights at this phenomenal B&B. We spent a few weeks touring France and stayed at many places this was, by far the best. The house is beautiful and maintained to the highest standard. Our room had ample space for myself, my husband and my two (lively!) young children. The swimming pool is spotlessly clean and we all enjoyed a refreshing afternoon dip.
On arrival, Caroline took the time to advise us on things to do locally. She helped us plan our days and recommended the Saturday market which was fantastic. Caroline also gave us some local restaurant recommendations , again these were just great. Every evening Caroline would provide some local wine for us to enjoy , this went down very well with my husband and I after a long day with the kids!!
Breakfast was also provided and was just lovely, everything fresh , local products and a yummy cup of coffee. The homemade fig jam was a firm favourite. My son particularly enjoyed ordering his eggs , which were made for him whichever way he fancied on a daily basis.
We really didn't want to leave , the kids didn't want to say goodbye to the two adorable dalmatians that Caroline & Hubert have.
This was one of the best places that we have ever stayed , I can't recommend it highly enough, THANK YOU Caroline & Hubert!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2016 via mobile

The room was so lovely that stayed comfortably.
Caroline is wonderful as others write on the reviews.She was very nice to us and liked her so much.She speaks four languages, always reply quickly on e-mails, was always warmhearted I felt.
If have a chance, like to be back and meet her again.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and the owners Caroline and her husband felt us be at home. The rooms are all spacious and furnished to the detail with Provençal taste. Every afternoon after our trips we could find ice cold roseé whine and mint flavored water waiting for us in the porch. There's a quiet and large swimming pool.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2016

Quintessential Aix en Provence B&B. We rested here 2 days. A perfect spot for discovering Aix and it's environs. Caroline is the perfect Host, always available and helpful, never intrusive. A beautiful old restored monastery (I think!), simple rooms well equipped and quiet. Large grounds and a great swimming pool. Breakfast on the terrace feeds one's love of Provence as well as sustaining the body. Our ideal of a B&B
My next review is also in Aix, and the two hosts know each other so I shall have to be very diplomatic!

Room Tip: Book early to avoid disappointment !
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple