“Splendid Lunch”

Au Coin du Paint're
Ranked #5 of 17 Restaurants in Giverny
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

A return visit and we chose the same as last year!
Excellent platter of 2 quiches for my wife, and the La Campagnarde for me (a selection of salamis, hams and cheeses). These were both quite substantial and there was sadly no room for the fabulous pastry confections!
Really nice coffee complemented our lunch.
This should definitely be on your list of places to visit in Giverny.

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Went here after reading Tripadvisor Review. It didn't start well as I was barked at to sit outside even though it was a bit chilly and there was a spare table inside - but I was then moved inside, not very sympathetically may I say.
But contrary to the review, service was not great - I admit it was fairly busy and there was only 1 waitress - but why clear a table before taking my order?
Good that the food arrived soon after that - a chicken dish that was ok (not fabulous) but I must admit the lemon tart is probably the best I will ever have (5 stars for that), but served on a plastic imitation slate plate ...??
I thought they served food all day but noticed a couple turned away at about 2pm.
It was only when I was overcharged by a not very friendly cashier (it should have been a set menu price but she charged each item individually) that I gave up, paid what she asked without any argument, and decided to write this review.
Sorry - but criticsm as well as praise where it is due...

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Excellent spot for lunch after visiting Monet's house and garden. Food was delicious and beautifully presented. Excellent bread and pastries. Good value set lunch menu.

Reviewed 4 August 2017

Really nice bakery with loads of differtent pastries and breads, very kind staff. We really liked the lemon and ginger bread. Their breakfast is good as well

Reviewed 25 July 2017

This was the worst service I ever had in a restaurant : I absolutely recommend you to avoid stopping there while in Giverny.
Except if you want to be threatened at the end of your lunch – then this might be just the place for you!

The service was not up-to-standards from beginning to the end of our stay:

1.We first sat around a wooden table, on a very comfy couch. We were asked to change table because the table being in wood and not yet protected by a glass window, eating on the table could damage it. We complied, thinking the argument was reasonable. However, half an hour later we saw other clients sit on the same wooden table to eat a pastry. A pastry being by definition greasy, I do not understand how our own breakfast of bread, jam and butter could be more damaging than a French pastry with a lot of cream ? But maybe there is an explanation ….

2.We ordered a set of bread, pastries and a drink each. I had to ask the waiter for my knife, because he had forgotten to give me one. Moreover, the plates on which we were served were all partly broken. I do not know if that was the case of every plate at this restaurant, or only ours – and I do not know either which is the worst option ?

3.After finishing our drinks, we were thirsty and asked for some water. Amongst the 4 glasses brought, one was in glass and the other 3 were low-quality plastic glasses in which you usually drink beer. After looking around us at the other clients’ table, we saw that they had only higher-quality glasses made of glass. Again, I found that quite strange. Did they not have enough glasses for everyone ? If that is the case, they could have apologized. If there is another reason, they did not tell us.

4. We were then still hungry, and decided to order a hamburger to share amongst the 4 of us. We explicitly told the waiter that this dish was to share, and he did not make any comment. However when the dish arrived he only brought one fork and one knife. Seeing that when we had asked the waiter for a knife, butter and water, he did not comply very amiably, we sought to not disturb him further and directly take the cutlery that was on a table next to us. However, before we could take the additional forks and knives that were required to eat our hamburger, we were interrupted by a woman from the restaurant, who said to the waiter “but what are they doing ? stop them!”. The waiter came to see us, and we explained that we could not eat a hamburger with only one knife and one fork when we were four. He answered that as we had ordered only ONE dish, we would get only ONE piece of cutlery. We tried to explain that it was most inconvenient to eat with only one fork. He replied that he would not spare the effort of washing the 3 extra cutlery when we had only ordered one dish. I do not believe it is such a huge, herculean task to wash 3 extra forks in a restaurant. Moreover, if we were not welcomed to share a dish, I do believe he could have told us when we ordered, as restaurants usually do if they do not want clients to share a dish.

5.My friend and I went to pay the bill, said “thank you for the meal”, and were getting ready to leave when the woman at the cash register suddenly told us: “If you ever think of posting a bad review on Tripadvisor, I promise you I will sue you for slander. I have your name down, I will remember you, and I will definitely sue you”. Here, 4 things strike me as strange:
a.Firstly, we had not complained when paying the bill. So I do believe that she realized we did not have the most happy experience, but she did not sought to ask us why, if there had maybe been a miscommunication, and if she could help us – as I believe is customary in the service industry.
b. Secondly, her restaurant is on TripAdvisor. That means you have to play the game and accept that people will make a comment on their experience. You have to accept both good and bad reviews. I took that personally as a threat and an attempt at intimidation, to prevent unsatisfied customers from sharing their opinions with future ones, which is exactly the point of a website such as TripAdvisor. So of course, I am currently writing a very long review detailing exactly what happened.
c.Thirdly, I was shocked at being threatened by the waitress of a restaurant. This had never happened before in my life.
d. Fourthly, the waitress highlighted her threat by showing us that she had copied the name written on the credit card that we had given her. She explicitly told us that she had our name down, and using it she could sue us for libel. I do believe that writing down a name on a credit card given to pay, without the consent of its owner, is a very sneaky and aggressive behavior. I was totally stumped.
6.Finally, following her perceived attempt at intimidation, we launched into a discussion where I explained why I believed I had a very bad experience. I do have to admit that with such a bad start of conversation, the conversation was not very calm. I found myself reproached of consuming too little in her restaurant. I personally believe that was not the case. But even if that was the case, should you treat you customers badly because you do not earn enough from them ? I do not think so.

All in all, the service was horrible from beginning to the end, and I was left deeply shocked that anyone could have such a negative attitude towards their customers.

Which is why I posted my first ever negative Tripadvisor review, and strongly discourage any customer from ever stopping in this place.
If you want to have a leisurely time in Giverny, a beautiful French countryside village, then that is the least perfect place you could ever find to do so.

6  Thank anneclaires22