“An Extraordinary Tour”

Dale Booth Normandy Tours
Ranked #3 of 37 Tours in Bayeux
More attraction details
Owner description: If you are looking for a fully private, guided D-Day tour, where history is told with knowledge and passion;then book a tour with Dale Booth Normandy Tours
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Naperville,IL
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“An Extraordinary Tour”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Dale does a fantastic job of bring to life the events of D-Day. He of course knows all the facts and locations and has studied the Normandy campaign extensively but what we found most compelling were the places he lead us to where intense “little” things happened and the individuals that were involved in those events. Dale has built relationships with many of the Vets that experienced D-Day and has applied what he has learned to paint a very vivid and detailed picture. It is a picture that can be painful and humbling but also inspiring. We took the One Day American Tour, if you do the same and visit the little town with 53 residents called Angoville-Au-Plain and their 11th century church you will know what I mean.

Personally, Dale is very friendly and outgoing. He really enjoys sharing his knowledge and answering questions. He will pick you up at your Hotel which is a plus and since he leads all his own tours you know exactly who your guide is. Five days in London, five days in France and our tour with Dale was the highlight of a great trip.

Visited January 2012
3 Thank BPONaperville_IL

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fantastic tour - worth every cent”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

My partner and I did the single day, American tour with Dale in early January and selected Dale as our guide after reading all the positive reviews on trip advisor. Every part of the tour met our high expectations for the tour. Dale has a great deal of enthusiasm and passion for the topics he covers throughout the day, which really made the tour a memorable and moving event. The tour was the highlight of my time spent in France, and I would recommend Dale's tour to anyone contemplating Normandy. I will definitely be doing another when I return in the future.

Visited January 2012
3 Thank Monika G
Hartford, CT
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fantastic experience”
Reviewed 21 December 2011

As all the other reviewers have said, Dale does an outstanding job of bringing history to life. I had read a few books about the Normandy campaign but Dale was able to crystallize the strategy and events in a way that made it MUCH more clear to me. He has an obvious passion for what he does and has the right personality for it as well. He is engaging, energetic, funny, and extremely knowledgeable. We did the American tour and found that Dale provided just the right mix of military strategy and stories about participants in the battles to make the day both informative and very moving. One of his techniques that I found most helpful (since I am a visual person) is his drawing in the sand at both Utah and Omaha beaches to illustrate the geography, strategy, offensive and defensive tactics, gun placements, landing locations, etc. But he doesn't get too bogged down in that aspect either - he very smoothly transitions to the personal stories of the participants in the battles that make it so interesting. While I don't have personal experience with any other Normandy tour guide, I feel that Dale is perhaps more committed than most to making sure you get the most out of your day. The weather was miserable for our tour and Dale spent virtually every minute outside with us answering our questions (whereas I feel that it might have been tempting for other guides to provide very brief explanations and then encourage you to explore many of the sites on your own while they sat back in their warm car making calls). My wife, 21 year old son, and I found it to be an incredible day and we would highly recommend Dale to anyone looking for a private tour in Normandy!

Visited December 2011
4 Thank Jeff L
Aurora, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The best tour I have ever taken”
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I just got back from Normandy with my nephew. We took a two day American tour of the Normandy battle sights. Dale Booth was far and away the best guide I have ever encountered. He made history come alive for us. He has a great passion and knowledge regarding all aspects of the tours that he gives. He is a master storyteller. I look forward to returning to Normandy and taking other tours that he offers.

Visited December 2011
5 Thank Michael H
Minnesota
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Most Fantastic Tour I've Ever Taken!”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We were a group of 4 couples who met on the website Cruise Critic before we took a transatlantic Celebrity cruise. Even though the cruise ship offers a number of excursions for passengers, we wanted to be with a small group that would have a more personal touch. Dale tailored the day to our ship schedule so we wouldn’t miss anything, yet get back to the dock on time.
We got more than what we expected on our Full Day American Tour with Dale. He was so energetic and knowledgeable about WW II and D-Day. His research about the soldiers who fought in the war was heartwarming. He is a true historian who can tell the story better than any movie. He brought it all to life with pictures, charts and drawings in the sand. We didn’t just drive by the historic places; we walked and listened to Dale as he described in detail what happened on those beaches. The American Cemetary was a very somber experience as we saw the tombstones of soldiers Dale talked about on the tour. Everyone in the group had an unforgettable time, and I can now say I have a much better understanding of this part of WW II.

I'll be watching for his best selling book when it is finished!

Visited November 2011