D-Day Beaches (Plages du Debarquement de la Bataille de Normandie)
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 1,514.58*
and up
A Day in Normandy: Landing Beaches of WWII with...
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We took our entire family by car to see the D-Day beaches, about a 2.5 hr drive from Paris. We began in Caen at the Caen Memorial musuem which was amazing. We then drove to Courselles-sur-Mer and visited the the only Canadian War Musuem in Europe called the Juno Beach Center. We stopped in Arromanches to see the beaches and then drove south down the coast to the American Cemetary at Colleville-sur-Mer. Our visit ended up at the Pointe Du Hoc cliffs.

My kids began the day excited about seeing artifacts from the war, exploring old bunkers and climbing into the huge bomb craters still there. By the end of the day, after seeing the American Cemetery, and reading what happened - they were quiet and reflective. I think they finally realized the sacrifice that was made by so many people. Before, they only knew a bit from video games and TV and now it became real to them. I highly recommend you take the family to the Normandy Beaches.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"british canadian"
"stark reminder"

Reviewed 30 July 2009

Myself and my girlfriend completed a tour with "Overlord Tours" in July 2009. I am a keen WW2 historian, my girlfriend less so - so we decided to do a tour so that she had some more context and I could place everything I had read. We found Alain to be slightly abrupt and not overly friendly. We were the only British people on the tour and we found him very sycophantic towards our American fellow tourists. We were slightly late for the tour to which we obviously apologised. Alain greeted us with a "you are very late" and didn’t introduce himself at all for the whole tour (I only discovered his name by looking at his website!) and got back in the van. Which to me, summed him up a bit. Anyway - I go slightly off the point - The American tour in the morning was interesting. Omaha beach - amazing to see, the US cemetery was very moving. How for €80's it is expensive. There was a HUGE amount of here is a photo, now here is the building. When we were looking for more colour. He came across like he was reading a very factual part of a Stephen Ambrose book most of the time – except when he was telling our American friends how much he loved them. I would advise people to go and see Omaha, the cemetery, Utah and Sainte-Mère-Eglise yourself. We actually calculated that from 8am to 4:30pm he actually sent us off on our own for nearly 3 hours. To conclude - Alain did add value and make the day more interesting but I am not sure he made it €160 interesting.

3  Thank CHRBRA
Reviewed 24 May 2009

During the last week of April 2009, we had only two days to take in the principle beachheads and other sites of the momentous D-Day Invasion. We chose two half-day tours with Normandy Sightseeing Tours that included Omaha Beach, Pointe du Hoc, the American Cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer, as well as Gold Beach, Longues-sur-Mer gun battery and Arromanches. Our guides on both days (Olivier and Bertrand) were not only knowledgeable local guides, but personable, gracious and extremely respectful of the sensitive subject matter. We were a party of three visitors who enjoyed what we would describe as semi-private tours. Based on our experience, we would not hesitate to take other tours that they offer, or recommend NST to others.

3  Thank BVoyage3
Reviewed 17 April 2009

We arranged for a tour of the D-day beaches through Fat Tire Bike Tours. They provided the train tickets and directions to Normandy. The train ride to Normandy was lovely. We brought a lunch for the train ride, there is no stop for lunch during the 6 hour tour. We arrived at the train station in Normandy and walked to the pick up site for the tour, the directions were clear and we found it without difficulty (go towards the hospital, there are many signs). With only 8 of us on the tour we were able to ask many questions and have a wonderful experience. My husband is a history buff but I am not, by the end of the day I'd experienced a great living history lesson. Our guide was wonderful, she was very informative and had a lot of supplemental information including pictures, maps, and stories from veterans. We saw Point du Huc, Omaha beach, German bunkers, and the American Cemetary. I wish we could have spent more time in the town itself, apparenlty there is a large tapestry to see, and it is what you picture a little French town looking like. We only had 4 days in France, and this took up an entire day, it was well worth it.

1  Thank emily27
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 January 2009

If you would like to see the beaches of Normandy, I highly recommend a tour company that we found through France.com - Normandy Sightseeing Tours - Request Olivier as your guide! He was from the area, VERY knowledgeable and spoke excellent English. I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone heading to the area.

We were heading to Paris for 5 days but wanted to spend one day touring the sites of Normandy, D-Day beaches, American Cemetery, etc. We did tons of research and had a hard time finding a guided tour within our budget but found this one through France.com and we had a wonderful experience. We took a morning traing from Paris to BAYEUX, Olivier, our tour guide met us at the train. We enjoyed a 5hr tour with him and then he dropped us off in town where we had 2 hrs to walk around the little town of Bayeux, enjoy a wonderful dinner at a local restaurant then we got back on an 8PM train back to Paris. It was a wonderful way to spend a day!

4  Thank GoBlue1975

Travellers who viewed D-Day Beaches (Plages du Debarquement de la Bataille de Normandie) also viewed

Etretat, Seine-Maritime

Been to D-Day Beaches (Plages du Debarquement de la Bataille de Normandie)? Share your experiences!