“GREAT HOTEL”
Review of Crowne Plaza Lille

Crowne Plaza Lille
Ranked #25 of 106 Hotels in Lille
Reviewed 15 September 2017

Nice, comfortable and clean large rooms
Great location. We were there for a week of World War 1 tours. Close to trains, Vieux Lille and highways.
Well situated for World War 1 tours
Excellent breakfast (included in our price).
Special thanks to Claire and the General Manager.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 September 2017

The good things - the staff were polite and friendly, the room was exceptionally quiet and the bed was very comfortable.

The hotel is very handy if you are arriving by Eurostar, but the number of beggars you come across on the walk into Lille can be off-putting. It's best to cut through the station and then across to the Eurolille shopping centre.

The bad things- the room decor was very tired - to the extent of coffee stains up the wallpaper, a flaking ceiling, cup rings on the desk and table, flaking veneer on the furnishings and across the edge of the bath. The carpet had also seen much better days and there were mascara stains on one of the pillow slips on the bed. Add to this that the room service menu appeared to have been smeared all over with jam....

I had gone down with a migraine, so was in no fit state to complain - although I did take the offending room service menu down to reception when I was checking out.

Not so bad was the breakfast - but it is distinctly average, so unless it is in your rate I would suggest that you eat elsewhere. I cannot comment on the quality of any other meals, since I only had breakfast.

I stay in IHG hotels a lot and was really surprised at the state of the room on this occasion- I hope that I was just unlucky and was placed in a room that is due to be refurbished.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Ali83
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Lille, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2017

Hi Ali83!

Thanks for staying with us and letting us know about your experience. It's great to read about your commendation for our hotel staff and comfortable rooms. I'm very sorry to learn though that everything else went downhill because of some issues with the update of your assigned room, cleanliness, and breakfast selections.

What you described is certainly not the way we want our guests to remember us. I sent you private message to learn more about your stay, and I look forward to your response.

Thank you for making IHG hotels your home away from home, and I'm hoping that you can give us another chance to make it up to you.

Many thanks,

Gian M
IHGService

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights with our family and really wished we had gone elsewhere! The rooms were really nice, with lovely touches such as This Works pillow spray on the bed on arrival. They were spacious and had nice bathrooms...but our first night was spoilt by a terrible drain smell that was so bad we had to close the plug hole. The Hotel did manage to fix this by the time we returned the next evening, however. The Hotel itself is right in the middle of a very busy Eurostar station and while it is suited to business travel, it's not so good for leisure as it was noisy outside - although on the second night it was the weekend and quieter. What really put us off was the fact that despite notifying this four star Hotel in advance of our arrival about my son's peanut allergy there was absolutely no help in accommodating this at breakfast and he literally couldn't eat anything as they went through what was available and even the bacon, eggs etc were all cooked in peanut oil. The only thing we managed to find was an individual packet of cereal that had allergy information on. When we complained and said we didn't expect to be charged for breakfast we were told they would charge us for two breakfasts, even though we hardy ate anything ourselves as we didn't want to eat while my son couldn't! Anyway, we decided to forgo breakfast there the next day and go to Mcdonald's instead! I would never go back to the hotel and was left dissatisfied with our experience on what was otherwise an enjoyable trip.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Tess121
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Lille, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Hi Tess121,

Your stay with Crowne Plaza is appreciated and your views are valued. I feel unsettled that your son's needs were not met during breakfast. Your feedback will be considered by the hotel for future improvements as it has always been IHG's goal to meet our guests' expectations.

On a lighter note, I am pleased that you found the room to your liking and that you were delighted with the pillows. We'd like to make your accommodations as best as it can be.

I hope that your future lodging needs will give us another chance to welcome you back!

Best,

Anna B
IHG Service

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

Not fantastic, place is "on" the station, but rather quiet. Why on Earth are bathrooms with transparent walls ?? Breakfast is ok, and walking distance from center of Lille. Good for a short stay but not more than that.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Lille, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

Hi Gilles G!

Thanks for going out of your way to write a review for us and also for staying at our property. I'm glad to read about your appreciation for our breakfast options and prime location. It's regretful though that we weren't able to make sure that you stay was extraordinary. I'm very sorry to learn that there was an issue with the bathroom in your room.

We understand the importance of this facilities so I've shared your comments to our executive team to be immediately remedied. Everybody here wants each of our guests to leave with pleasant memories. While I wish you had a more flawless experience, feedback like this helps us pinpoint the areas that need more attention.

If you want to try us out again in the future, we hope to provide you with a service that aligns to many 5-star reviews that we receive regularly.

Many thanks,

Gian M
IHGService

Reviewed 1 July 2017

The location of the hotel is at a premium - right across the road from the Eurostar terminal, 10 minutes away from the Euralille shopping centre and 15 minutes away from the main square where there are lots of bars and restaurants.

We arrived at 9:30 am and the rooms weren't ready so we managed to leave our luggage at the hotel to collect later on. We didn't expect the rooms to be ready so early but it was good that we didn't have to take our luggage to the office.

After a day of working at the office, we returned at 6pm to find that one of the two rooms was ready and the other wasn't. This was far from ideal as after a long day of traveling and working, we just wanted to have a shower and relax for a bit.

However, to compensate us, the hotel receptionist gave us a free drink voucher to use at the bar. This was a nice gesture and we had a drink while waiting for the room to be ready.

It was worth the wait and the room was beautifully presented, whilst being very clean and having a lot of complimentary features to be enjoyed. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was really efficient. I slept very well and didn't hear many other people whilst in the room.

In the morning we enjoyed a nice, continental breakfast with fruit juice, cereal, fruit salad, pastries, hot chocolate. There is also some hot food as well.

We checked what time checkout was with the hotel reception and we had a couple of hours before checking out at 12 so we took a quick trip over to Euralille to do a bit of shopping. I came back at 10:40 to find a cleaner in my room, with the door wide open! I had put a 'do not disturb' sign on the door and had left my case in the room, not expecting anyone to be in there before I checked out.This was quite surprising and a bit annoying to be honest. I had to wait for so long on a mid-week evening to get into the room the previous night and here I was virtually being kicked out before I need to check out! The cleaner was appreciative and did apologise but to be honest, the damage was already done. Fortunately, the belongings that I had left in the room (no valuables) were still there and I had packed everything away so I just needed to grab my things and pack some of the shopping into the case. It was a shame right at the end because the rest of the stay was very enjoyable. I would stay here again but hope to not have the same experience with the room that I experienced on this occasion.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business