“Not horrible, but.....”

Appart'City Montpellier Saint-Roch
Ranked #75 of 93 Hotels in Montpellier
Reviewed 1 December 2017

First the good news. The staff are very friendly and eager to help, and the lobby is fairly comfortable if you need to hang out for a bit. There’s a machine with cold sodas, candy etc. The location is great, in a quiet, residential neighborhood just a few tram or bus stops from the center of town. I was there for a few weeks taking some courses.

Now for the bad. The place is kind of a dump. I’ve seen worse, to be sure, but the owners and/or managers really have a lot nerve selling this place.

The carpeting in the hallways is filthy and full of stains both large and small. The room furniture would make IKEA look luxurious, and though my studio apartment wasn’t dirty, it wasn’t exactly clean either, not as it should have been, as if it had been given s surface cleaning only. I do have to say the bed was clean and pretty comfortable.

I had what they call a studio apartment for myself. Now granted, this is the only apartment I saw in the place, but there was barely enough room to move around, let alone be comfortable. They sell this place for two people and I just can’t imagine more than one person in there. Bad use of existing space too. Lighting was very good, and outlets were abundant, but the WI-FI was awful. Instructions for the appliances would have been helpful, but the staff helped when I had problems.

I wanted to be able to do some meal preparation for myself as I was there for a few weeks, so that’s why I chose a self-catering place and didn’t expect full hotel services. If you expect them, go elsewhere. Come to think of it, go elsewhere anyway.

Breakfast, which I only had a couple of times, and which costs 8.50 Euros was a typical buffet and adequate.

Note to whomever actually owns this chain: this place needs a serious upgrade. It’s dirty, shoddily equipped and furnished, and not at all attractive or pleasing. If I hadn’t been booked in here as part of my program of classes I would have left after one night. And I intend to inform the lodging director of the school, with whom you do a lot of business, of my experience.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

Apartments were functional if a little tired. The rooms were clean and reasonably equipped. The parking is good but it IS a bit off the beaten track with few facilities close to hand although the excellent tram service runs close. You get what you pay for...

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 August 2017

They've got prices as if it's a four star hotel (ok, it's not a hotel, but an apartment hotel, but it only has 2 stars! Even at half price, do not go there!

Ok it's not far from the train station, but in my case a hippie's car with their dog was parked a couple of meters outside the entrance, after trying once to get pass the dog and almost got bitten, had to make a detour on the other side every evening when coming back.

They say it's no smoking, it reeked stale smoke every time I opened the door... plenty of cigar butts in the grass... Noisy neighbours (some people rent there for lengthy periods), once in the middle of the night during week and once on Saturday from 6 AM to 7 AM plenty of muddle-headed where wha wha whaaing on Rihanna's latest hit?!?

Rooms look NO WAY like the photos, they need refurbishments, plenty of things not working, 1st the freezer was left at maximum, it was making ice of my food, then could not use microwave at it was not straight, desk lamp not working, bed head lamp missing on / off button etc. etc.

They charge you for everything, early arrival, late check out, even for keeping luggage?!?

The only thing that saved this from a total disaster was the nice staff at reception...

Room Tip: Ask NOT to have a room with windows to the street, or if that's not possible, at least NOT direc...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 April 2017

Basically this experience was horrible. The rooms look nothing like the pictures. I went with a friend and the room was tiny and noisy. We changed rooms for a bigger one and it stank of smoke worse than any bar. The whole place is very loud. I would not recommend to stay there at all. The best about this place was the staff!!! Very kind and friendly they really tried everything to help us out.

Room Tip: Do not go there!
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2016 via mobile

Ok is the highest I'd give this.
Lovely staff, modern and clean lobby with free wifi in the lobby.
Room/ apartment was very basic, rather dated and perhaps not as well dusted as I might have hoped, but bed was comfortable and the 3 bed 'apartment' we had was spacious.
Breakfast was pleasant and was taken in a small purpose-used room. For croissants, coffee and orange juice 9.90€ seemed a little steep though.
It was a convenient location, only about a 10 min walk away from the gare Saint roch and 15 from place de la comedie.
However it was not in a location I would feel comfortable walking around in at night ...
Overall it was an OK place to stay.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family