“Best meal I had in Paris”
Review of Les Papilles

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Quartier Latin
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

4 courses and you pick your own wine off the shelf. You get what Bertrand and co are serving, so you hope it is not something you won't like. I kid you not, I said to my husband, I just hope it's not lamb (having had it already twice in the past week). Sure enough it was lamb, but it was the most fabulous slow cooked lamb ever, with veggies and a killer sweet potato soup followed by a cheese and then a dessert course. Literally stuffed to the gills and the meal held up through the rest of our trip as the best. And the best value to boot. You must have a res. I waited too long but was happy to get in at 10 pm. My only complaint is that it was quite warm in the rest.

1  Thank Robin B

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Les Papilles definitely gives you the "feel" of being in Paris. Bottles of wine surrounding tightly packed tables, small (but very attentive wait staff), delicious food...definitely a place to hit up if you are in Paris. Neat concept- pick a bottle of wine from the shelves and sit down to a pri-fixe. Only negative aspect is that the menu is set, so if you don't like a course that they're serving you'll have to wait for the next course. Also, tourists (like us) have found this place (thanks, NYTimes) so you will overhear a lot of English (or Chinese) being spoken; but this is only a result of the fact that the restaurant does a fabulous job turning out good food and a great experience.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Les Papilles is a wonderful little gem in the heart of the Latin Quarter. We emailed the owner, Bertrand, prior to our trip for reservations only to find out they are closed on Sundays. Fortunately, we were able to snag a reservation on the following Thursday. Of all the meals we had in Paris over the course of six days, Les Papilles was in our top three. We loved the small yet charming restaurant and the prix fixed dinner was an amazing value. Plus, it was absolutely delicious! Bertrand greets you and goes over the dinner menu for the evening. Then he points to the wall of wine where you can select your wine from the wall and it is tagged with the price. He guided us to a very affordable yet fabulous Bordeaux wine. Now that we are back home, I sure wish we had a case of what he recommended. {For the money, it was the best bottle of wine we had during the trip}. The night we dined, it was in the heat of the summer and the first course was a most delicious chilled cucumber soup. They first placed large rim soup bowls in front of you with bits of grilled bacon, croutons, cucumber, pimento and balsamic reduction. Then a generous white tureen of cucumber soup was placed in the middle of the table where we ladled to our hearts desire. The rest of the dinner was divine but the soup was the star on our night. If you are travelling with a group of 6, there's a lovely round table in a bay window that's perfect for friends dining or a birthday celebration. We can't wait to return next year for another memorable meal at Les Papillies. I plan to be a little more timely with my review then! Just because you're not staying in the Latin Quarter is no reason to pass on this restaurant...its definitely worth a cab ride!

1  Thank BNATraveller
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This really is a lovely spot .. if you are staying the Latin quarter .. a local spot .. many have referred to the great atmos the wine shelves lend to the room ..

The fixed menu is 35 euro and is just one choice .. whatever the chef is cooking that day so this is not the place for fussy eater but if you like French food then it is great to have your meal handed up to you so to speak . no decisions ! .. they do have other dishes on the carte ..

I was there on the one of the hottest days of the year and was very surprised that the chef went for a very wintery menu .. carrot soup / pork belly in a bean casserole/ goats cheese/ fig compote pannacotta... soup .. the best I ever had in my life... you get the tureen and ladle ..and in your bowl lovely julienne of veg .. croutons .. and a cream cheese .. so you pour your soup on top .. it was truly amazing .. my descrption won't do it justice.. pork belly was nice but very filling .. I was quite stuffed at the end whereas after my lunch at La Regalade I just felt perfectly sated .. My only crib on quality was the wine .. got a pichet of red for 13 euro .. I think it may have been a Cahors .. but it didn't work for me ..
The Staff are so welcoming .. patient .. helpful .. its obivious this is a place that cares about the food ...
The room itself is quite small .. tables are very close to each other .. to the point of discomfort .. so dont' bring loads of bags and cameras etc .. there just is no where to put them .. ..I passed here during dinner service and the atmosphere seemed electric .. I will go back but in winter I think .....

1  Thank susanne24
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Went last year, and was just looking this up to tell a friend about it and thought I better give it the review it deserves! Just perfect for our low key California taste. We loved the idea of a delicious Pre Fixe menu, especially when your traveling in unknown territory. Love that half the people or more were locals and enjoyed the place as much as we did. I got the idea that this is the Paris version of down home cooking. Owner was very polite and inviting.

2  Thank carolyn a