“GO FOR THE CAKES ONLY - SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR LUNCH ELSEWHERE”
Review of Laduree

Laduree
Get food delivered
Ranked #19 of 439 Bakeries in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Neighbourhood: 6th Arr. - Luxembourg
Reviewed 25 July 2010

I had planned my trip here for sometime, if you check on the Laduree website, they have their complete menu on pdf format. I'd wanted to try their macarons for a long time...are they up to the hype?
It was 32 degrees outside in July and I expected a long queue to get in, but we popped in for a look about twice, about noon and about 4pm, no queues either time and we were seated right away. Waiting to be served was another matter. It was quite a long time before one of the only 2 waiters came over to us. But we were very tired and enjoying the opulent surroundings, so we didn't mind.
The menu is expensive, but not excessively so...but I think there was a set menu at 32 or 37 euro for a starter and a mani, but the 2 dishes i wanted ( duck fois gras and the steak ) both had a 7euro supplement which was rather mischevious and raises the price to an unacceptable level.
So we both had chicken club sandwiches, which were fine, good portion size and come with large chunky fries, my partner thought them the best fries she had tasted...ever!
They were quite filling and I had little room left for the cakes...but remarkably I found some room.
I opted for the St. Honore cake..which was a king of donut with rose icing, with lots of piped cream with profiterole type things on it, again with rose flavored icing, filled with rose cream. There was also custard and raspberry stuff inside...quite wonderful. And we tried 4 macarons...coffee, chocolate, lemon and raspberry. The lemon was the nicest by far, the coffee and chocolate being too strong and the raspberry one being filled rather disappointingly with jam rather than cream. They are like little meringues, quite nice, I wouldn't go mad for them but will get them again next time I visit.
The bill came to 78 euros for-
2 club sandwiches
2 cakes
4 mini macarons
1 large bottle of water and 1 small one
and 1 small pot of Marie Antoinette Tea which itself cost 7 euros...for a pot of water and a teabag! But you are paying for the experience and the surroundings.
Nice to visit, enjoy!

3  Thank cartagia

Reviewed 7 July 2010

My husband and I were wanting a romantic night out on the Champs and, despite being outdoors, the atmosphere was intimate and relaxing. Our waiter was very helpful and took care in refilling our bread baskets frequently. We had a two course meal and enjoyed every mouthful.
My main was beautifully prepared lobster on a bed of scallop potatoes and artichokes that was absolutely divine. I will be going back for the same meal before I travel out of Paris. My husband had a very chic club sanwich cut into 3 easy to eat pieces with a side of salad and box fries. He was pleasantly suprised at their attention to detail and the marriage of flavours that play on your palette.
My husband had a chocolate eclair for dessert which was very rich. My double chocolate macaroon came a little late so the waiter gave me two instead and was apologetic. Our capuccinos were pleasant but I must say the French need to refine their capuccino making skills if they are to serve it on any menu.
Overall it was very delightful and I will definately be back before i head home.
I guess all restaurants that are very busy manage to get something wrong, be it service or quality. The key is to go at a quieter time to ensure both are done properly.

Reviewed 7 July 2010

The hot chocolate is unbelievable here. Well, it must be, we never got to try it. After seating us, the staff studiously ignored us for half an hour. When they finally showed up they informed us that we could not have tea hot chocolate and macoroons only, and would have to leave unless we ordered lunch. Funny, they must have forgotten to tell us when we were seated, or maybe the sign fell down! Anyway, the vague wafting of stale urine had put my appetite off a bit so we settled for a stale macaroon to go. But don't let me stop you!

2  Thank BarkBrown
Reviewed 26 June 2010

Ladurée da Champs Elysées não me deixou impressionada. Para o que o restaurante se propõe, ainda falta espaço e um menu compatível com seu nome e tradição. O preço é alto e, com esse valor, come-se bem melhor em bons restaurantes de São Paulo. A pâtiserrie é boa, mas apenas boa. Existem casas muito melhores em Paris.

This review is the subjective opinion of an individual contributor and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews as part of our industry-leading trust & safety standards. Read our transparency report to learn more.
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I came for the macaroons and also picked up a trio of the tea and a strawberry tart. Unfortunately it was really really busy when I stopped in, it was an assembly-line process. You can tell the quality is not there since they are literally pumping people out. I have had way better macaroons, Bouchon Bakery in Napa California. I think the Black Current macaroon I had at Laduree gave me a bad stomach ache too. The tea I am enjoying greatly though I don't think I would go back for the macaroons. The strawberry marshmallow tart was good. The poor people that work here are overworked and stressed out.