“Loved it!”
Review of La Cantine Russe

La Cantine Russe
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
La Cantine Russe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11,159 of 19,130 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Russian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Trocadero
Reviewed 15 May 2015 via mobile

Our first night in Paris we stopped here for the reasonable prices, but they made it a special night for us. We sat in the courtyard and they sang for us and sent two violinists so we could dance in the rain. Priceless!

Reviewed 11 December 2014

If you want to have a real Russian culinary experience, don't go to this place!
I visited it last week: no Russian spoken by waitress (how's that possible??), no Russian beer, no Russian dessert (instead I got a Picard frozen cookie... not even good by the way)... so I'm still wondering where does the restaurant's name come from?
Highlight: Live music! Very very nice! It creates a very good ambiance (if you go with friends that may sing or dance, you can even forget about the bad food :))

2  Thank Susana M
Reviewed 24 September 2013

While the outdoor courtyard was pleasant and inviting the whole experience was a major disappointment. We appreciate lunches which are relaxing and not rushed but over 3 hours for a 2-person lunch was ridiculously long. No apologies from staff either. I ordered mussels, as it was the special of the day. And my husband ordered one of the other specials. Who would have thought it would have taken that long? The food was good enough but not worth it. Lots of smokers as well.

1  Thank yav4711
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I ordered salad chouba, borsht, pelmenis, herrings and 3 shot of vodka it cost me 115 euro. The food was mediocre but the waitress was very friendly. But in short if you expect something special don't go there. I've been living in Russia for 18 years so it was worse Russian food I ever had in restaurant.

2  Thank Dangminhtruong
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Ok, so! If you want russian experience here it is!. Just like it would be in Russia.

If you take the place out of context and treat it simply as a place to dine it probably wouldn't score all that well.

However depending on your expectations you can have enjoy, just think Kitsch and Amusing fun. It was straight out of 1980's Russia, from the music and singer, to the tartily dressed waitresses, to the slightly easy unprofessional way it seemed to be run.

The owner seemed friendly, and we have to admit we did actually enjoy it as an unusual memorable experience.

The menu is Russian, and we enjoyed the Borscht, followed by Stroganoff, and finally Blinis as Dessert.

Just imagine Russia, 30 years ago, before customer service, before gourmet presentation, a time when the brothel look was good in a restaurant. If you can go open minded and know we aren't talking fine dining, and Paris class, you might just have fun.

1  Thank zaria123