“A treat”
Review of Le Cafe de Mars

Le Cafe de Mars
Reserve with
Le Cafe de Mars is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #525 of 19,411 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: USD 24 - USD 40
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

This restaurant is incredible. We had friendly service from a waiter that offered suggestions and a great wine pairing, and the food was surprising and delicious. I chose menu items I wouldn’t normally order, and was so glad I did - everything was cooked to perfection and brilliantly flavored. I definitely recommend the apple caponata - wish I could eat that everyday!

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

Main guests ate locals. Never would say that restaurant on top location, such as near Champ de Mars can be inexpensive, with high quality food. Foie gras was amazing. On Saturdays they have jazz duo playing during lunch time.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 17 October 2018 via mobile

We dined at 9:30 pm on a Tuesday . The restaurant wasn't crowded and we received friendly service from a charming server who spoke English. Sadly they were out of fish , but together we tried the pate fois gras, the drunken dragon steak, duck, and cheeseburgers. Everything was superb. The chocolate dessert, somewhat like a brownie, was yummy. Service was attentive but not rushed. Prices were reasonable for a quality dinner.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

I am staying nearby in Paris for work and despite working long hours, have been enjoying some of the many lovely local, friendly restaurants in this area.

Having read the previously outstanding reviews of this restaurant I really wanted to go and see what the fuss was about.

I tried both Sunday and Monday evening but they are closed (not uncommon for Paris) so turned up excited Tuesday.

When I arrived around 8pm, the restaurant was pretty empty. It was a hot evening and there was only 2 seater table outside. I asked to sit there and she looked me up and down and said no ‘we don’t have tables outside’?? When I queried this, she rudely asked her colleague and he said he had put one out there and she said ‘fine’.
I then noticed a table by the window and asked if that would be better and she said ‘no, that’s for 4 people’ despite the restaurant being almost completely empty.
I then sat outside and just felt a little unwelcome and a bit awkward.

The waitress then came out to serve me and ask if I would like ‘still or sparking......or tap??’ Which made me feel awkward again for asking for Tap water. She then went inside.

When the lady came back to take my drinks order, I asked for a glass of white wine and she asked and ‘do you have any questions?’ And then ‘what do you want to eat’ The whole thing was very rushed and pressured.

I then noticed that a party of x2 more elderly couples (im 30) arrived and her attitude changed.

I personally just found her very arrogant and condescending and in the end cancelled the drink and decided to leave and spend my money elsewhere.

I’m sure the food is great and previous reviews have been outstanding, but I just wasn’t prepared to feel intimidated by a rude and ‘up herself’ waitress when there are plenty other lovely restaurants nearby.

I personally would recommend avoiding this (even the decor isn’t that great) and heading to one of the many pleasant Restaurants along Rue de Grenelle.

Disappointing as I was looking forward to trying this, but I left purely because of the rude and uncomfortable female waitress.

Go somewhere else!

Date of visit: September 2018
2  Thank Danielle H
pierremarfaing, Propriétaire at Le Cafe de Mars, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2018

Bonjour,

Her "colleague", as you mention, was the owner of Café de Mars, Pierre Mafaing (me), who is present (from time to time) and trust his staff when he's not.

I can clearly see that you are upset, and I just want to understand:

-You're upset because you asked to sit outside and you were seated outside.

-You're upset because you were offered the choice between purchasing bottled water or having a carafe of free tap water.

-You're upset because you were asked if you had any questions about our abbreviated chalkboard menu.

-You're upset that we welcomed customers warmly.

You never introduced yourself and I think you should know that anytime you walk into a french restaurant, or store, or anywhere! you are expected to say "Bonjour" to the staff.
To not do this is considered extremely rude!
Why? I don't know, but it is expected; and if you are planning to spend any amount of time in France, you might want to employ this into your repertoire in order to avoid any further breaches of etiquette leading to uncomfortable and upsetting encounters.

Lastly, you say that our waitress, whom is universally adored, by both patrons and staff, was rude to you; yet she spoke to you in your native language, not hers. If that's not being polite, then I don't know what is.

A très bientôt pour une belle soirée au Café de Mars, pour essayer notre cuisine ou nos vins ou nos.. carafes d'eau.. peut être!

Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

Dining at this charming, vibrant restaurant was a real treat. The menus are set forth on chalkboards on the wall, as well as mini chalkboards (French and English) given to guests depending upon their preferred language. There are about 6 or 7 starters, mains and desserts. Although the menu is not extensive, each dish is carefully considered and prepared. My husband had a steak prepared “dragon” style that had been marinated in beer for 3 days and was cooked with garlic, and topped with shiitake mushrooms. I had a wonderful chicken dinner prepared with olives, capers and spinach. Although we didn’t order dessert, the choices were very tempting. Service was friendly and attentive.

Date of visit: August 2018