“Avoid” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #297 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
São Paulo, Brasil
“Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Stayed at superior room. Very small bedroom, very small bathroom, noise and poor ilumination. The staff of the hotel is not polite and unhelpfull.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank RCM1977

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

This hotel is perfectly located, moderately priced, and offers everything you could possibly need from a basic well-designed Parisian hotel. This is a no-frills boutique hotel located steps from the Louvre and just around the corner from Colette and Hotel Costes. My only complaint is that the rooms are painfully dim. Lighting is at a minimum, perfect for a romantic evening, but terrible for dressing and business tasks. Hotel Lumen is definitely top of the heap for a three star hotel and bottom of the heap for a four star hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lumen P, Director of Sales at Hotel Lumen, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Hotel Lumen Paris Louvre and for taking the time to share your experience. All your remarks have been taken into consideration.
We do our best to improve day by day the quality of service.
We hope to have the pelasure to welcome you again at the Hotel Lumen Paris Louvre.
Sincerely.

Adeline Surault.
miami
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

I originally wrote this review and submitted it to trip advisor, perhaps too eagerly. At the time that I wrote it, I was still not even half way into my stay at this hotel. I couldn't believe this was a four star property, but I still hadn't really understood how terrible it was and for some reason gave it a 3 star rating. After all, I thought, it's not four stars, but it's not that bad... right? right? Wrong.

Let me start by saying that, if friendly service were the only criteria then this hotel might merit a four star rating. Unfortunately, it is not. Four stars tells me that we are talking about an exceptional property and five stars is near perfection. This is a mediocre hotel at best... (I assume that there were better rooms in the hotel than the one we got). But in MY experience, which is what this review is about, this was not this hotel at its best. This was at its worst, which to me, makes this a 2 star hotel.

My wife and I travel quite a bit and we've stayed in all kinds of hotels, from the amazing Mandarin Oriental in Chang Mai and the Peninsula in Hong Kong to the rinky dink New City Shinjuku hotel in Tokyo. Lumen is more reminiscent of the latter... except, not as clean. First the good news, the staff was mostly really nice. As a matter of fact, they were so friendly and nice that I did not really complain much about the inadequacies of our room because I felt bad. If you knew me well, you'd know that's saying a lot because I have no problem speaking my mind and I normally would not hesitate to complain about our hotel should it not meet my expectations. And this hotel certainly does not. First, the room. Tiny. My wife and I are staying in Europe for 11 days so we did not pack very light. There is no space for our suitcases in here. The bathtub is so small that I had to stand sideways to shower. I'm 5'8" 170lbs... not that big. We have joked around about this room, referring to it as our luxurious cabin suite on a cruise ship because that is what it reminded us of. This room is about the size of the last suite we stayed in on the Oasis of the Seas. But size isn't the only problem. After all, we did book the smallest room in order to save a little money. But I'm not sure how much bigger the other rooms are. When we arrived at the room, I immediately called the front desk and told them that the room was even smaller than what we had anticipated and I asked for an upgrade. I even told them that I would be willing to pay the difference. But two things happened. A) I was told that there were no other rooms available and B) That even if one did become available, that it really wouldn't be much bigger than the one we were in. With that, I gave up and said ok, we'll do what we can with what we have.

This room simply did not represent 4 stars. First thing you notice is a huge crack in the mirror that constitutes the closet door. That is unacceptable. A four star property would have that fixed immediately. And either this is a problem in multiple rooms or we got the same room that another reviewer got. In their review, they also mention the crack in the room, so it's not like this just happened and they are taking care of it immediately. This happened a long time ago and they have had several guests in this room and still haven't fixed it. Next... When we arrived we noticed that the carpeting by the bathroom was wet. Upon further inspection we determined that moisture must be caused by water that leaks from the shower. Looking at that section of the carpet you can tell this happens all the time and the resulting humidity has accumulated there. I was afraid to walk barefoot in the room because of this. Not something you would find in a four star hotel. Then there was the noise. My wife and I wanted to sleep in one day. Impossible. We were in room 302, which was a corner unit facing the street. Not good. You can hear everything outside all night long. Then construction across the street commenced at around 8am in the morning and that was the end of our plan to sleep in. Every other morning I woke up to the delightful sound of hammering, incessantly, for about an hour. It was impossible to sleep in, something my wife and I were really looking forward to on this trip. I spent my entire time in Paris exhausted because I couldn't buy a decent night's sleep in this hotel. You know what? When they say that construction outside is beyond their control, sure, that may be true. But it doesn't change the fact that I couldn't sleep and as part of my review, I have to take that into consideration in regards to our stay. Just like they will rave about how the location is fantastic (which it is), I can also say that the location is also not so great because it's on a noisy street and there was lots of construction there during our stay. Works both ways.

A few other points to mention: No voltage converter available upon request, something I have always managed to find when we stay at 4 or 5 star properties. (they have multiple outlets for different standards, but those do not up-convert voltage. Housekeeping was inconsistent. They sometimes left chocolates, but not all the time and after the first day, they never brought us clean hand towels. Walls are thin so the noise that will wake you will not just be from the street outside. TV remote did not work when we arrived (they did send someone up and had the issue fixed quickly). The wall above the bathroom had a big and very noticeable crack, something you would not expect to find at a four star hotel. Paint is also chipped and there is more damage to the wall by where the door opens and makes contact with the door stopper. The lighting in the bathroom was so bad that my wife had a difficult time putting on make-up. The bed was uneven and slanted so much so that I woke up every morning with intense back pain. The pillows disappear under your head at night as you toss and turn trying to get comfortable on them. Hotel does not really have many amenities. As far as the concierge service you'd expect from a four star property, well, I have mixed feelings. For starters the concierge, Jean Claude is a really nice and approachable guy. He was a pleasure to talk to and did make an effort to be extremely helpful. However, he only sent us to one good restaurant, and that was on our first day there. After that, every other place was mediocre, at best. So much so that for our last night we skipped on our reservation and decided to go with trip advisor recommendations instead. For 300 euros/night, you'd expect more from your hotel. As it turns out, we did not pay $300EU/night. We paid about $200EU/night through a discount website. However, please note that we were in Paris for 7 nights, then left to Italy and then came back to Paris. When I asked at the front desk if we could book an extra night for our return day I was told it would be $315 EU for the same room. So yes, this is a $300EU/night room in a property that has been designated to be 4 stars, yet, you find all the above issues. It boggles my mind.

Some good news, wifi was great... Very fast and no problems. Breakfast buffet was pretty decent, although it lacked variety and we got bored of the same food every day with little to no changes to the available choices. The location is also excellent, which is really what you're paying for.

In the end, when finishing this review, I really thought about what kind of rating I would give this hotel. I'm not out to do anyone any harm and my goal is to provide the most honest review so that I may help the next person make an informed decision about this hotel. Originally, when I wrote this three days into my stay, I had thought of giving it three stars, but I was seriously inclined towards two. However, after staying the full week, I have to weigh whether this hotel merits one or two stars, but no more. Eventually, I decided on the a two star rating because I compared it to every other hotel I've ever stayed in (that's a lot of hotels) and I think this one of the worst of all. I am 36 years old and have been traveling since I was a kid. I don't remember being in a hotel this bad. I've stayed at Holiday Inns that are MUCH better than this hotel. Bad two star rating takes into account the lack of cleanliness, the poor quality of the bed and pillows, the damaged items that I mentioned above, the lack of peace and quiet, the inadequate recommendations from the concierge, the size of the rooms and the price for all of this. I won't give it one star because it had some redeeming qualities, such as, friendly staff (especially by Paris standards), good Internet, decent breakfast and excellent location. So that's my justification for the subpar rating and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a true 4 star property.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank adrian s
Dear Sir,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We took good notes of your comments and be sure that we are improving day by day the quality of our service.
Your sincerely.
Adeline Surault
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

Many times during the night I woke up because of the sound of trucks and cars on the street. It is a very noisy area and the room doesn’t have any protection for that. It was impossible to have a good night of sleep. The superior room is very small and dark. It was very hard to pack in the darkness. I would never stay here again. The bathroom hasn’t any space to place our stuff.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

Sometimes you can't go by the star rating of a hotel. It's IMPERATIVE to read as many reviews as possible about the hotel before booking seven nights. Do my husband and I wish we would have done so.
We found Hotel Lumen on various hotel search engines, but Otel.com was offering the best rate/package. We got seven nights including breakfast buffet for two and wifi for $1,718 ($245 a night). We were pretty thrilled since it was a great rate for a hotel rated four stars; the best we could find compared to other four star hotels. The pictures on the internet were spectacular. We couldn't wait for the day to arrive for our European getaway.
Fast forward five months and we arrive at the Lumen around 11am. We knew our room wouldn't be ready, so they placed our bags in their luggage closet. We returned around 3pm and are taken to our room; number 302. Our luggage was already inside. When we walk in, we couldn't believe this was the room they gave us. Let me start by saying that the room must have been no bigger than 150 square feet. It was pretty pathetic. It was so small, we had to figure out for a while how to arrange our luggage to be most efficient. The lighting in the room was the poorest I've ever had in any hotel room (and we've traveled even to the poorest of countries). The walkway lighting was so terrible, I couldn't even use it to apply makeup. The quality of that light was so bad, every flaw of my body appeared and reflected in that mirror. JI wanted to shoot myself. It was depressing, for a pregnant woman like me, to see that. Plus, the mirror was shattered and had clear tape holding it together. You mean to tell me that a four star hotel doesnt have the funds to replace that mirror? What if someone gets hurt opening the closet door where the mirror is at?
The bathroom was super tiny as well. The bathtub was so tiny, I had to take a shower sideways in order to fit properly. Mind you, I'm 5'1 weighing 130 lbs. That tub isn't meant for tall and perhaps full shaped people. There was no space in the bathroom to lay down all my toiletries. I had to keep them in my toiletry bags. They did provide a tiny round table in the bathroom, but it was for the toiletries they provided. That is all that could fit there. Towels were provided for two, but after day one, they stopped providing us hand towels. Why? I have no idea. After each shower, the room got so hot and humid, we had to open the windows in order to feel cool and comfortable, but since it was freezing outside, we couldn't leave the window open too long. The carpeting in the room was pretty disgusting. Where the carpeting meets the tile of the bathroom, the carpet was always damp. I'm guessing from humidity. It was so gross, we had to wear our sandals all the time and we never walked barefoot.
Are you looking for a quiet place to sleep? Then don't get any room near the street. WOW, construction started at 6AM with construction men yelling at each other. If a car was in a truck's way, be prepared to hear his horn full blast for 10 seconds straight until the car in front of him moves.
This hotel has no travel converter, so if it's of utmost importance to do your own hair, buy European hair tools. Their hair dryer in the bathroom was very weak and our travel adapter and converter blew the moment we plugged it in. I was not happy. I had to go spend 60 Euros on a mediocre blow-dry because of it.
Buffet breakfast was OK. Hot chocolate was very bland and they served the same thing every single day. An assortment of pastries are offered along with cereal, scrambled eggs, and overcooked ham.
Internet service was great. Very fast, but a code had to be entered each and every time I opened and closed my laptop.
Overall, this place was very disappointing. I would never recommend this place to anyone unless you are looking to get ripped off and stay in the room that looks like a crack house in The Projects. Terrible.......

Room Tip: Stay away from street side rooms!