“A major disappointment”

Ranked #476 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“A major disappointment”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Upon arriving in Paris we checked into westin vendome only to b shown to an "extremely tired room"
Bathroom was disgusting, almost killed myself trying to get in and out of bath tub
Then an even greater insult was they wanted to charge us 19E to use wifi
9E for a drink from the mini bar
Location good but that's about all that was
Would never stay there again and would discouraged anyone else from staying there

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Caryn E
abraham_foucherot, Assistant front office manager at The Westin Paris - Vendome, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Dear Caryn E,

I am quite surprised and distressed by your comments, and regret not to have had the opportunity to meet with you when at the hotel.

Either I or our manager on duty would have been able to show you a different room if the one you were allocated seemd a bit tired. I will make sure to share your comments with our Chief Engineer who is in charge of our maintenance program.

For information, internet and minibar prices are similar to same types of hotels in our category in Paris.

With this said, I trust you will give us another chance to change your mind next time travelling to Paris,

Best regards,
Abraham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Stayed here one night for the view of the Eiffel Tower, Paid for the room with an Eiffel Tower View, Yes you could see the Eiffel Tower if you stood in the corner. (Supposedly they were full) The room was okay but paying for the view was a mistake. The staff at the front desk were not very helpful. I will say that the staff in the bar were very nice and helpful. I did not use any other facilities in this hotel. I did not use the WiFi as it was very expensive.

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you paid for - check the view before you accept the room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Wendy_fromAus
Dear Wendy_fromAus,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor.

I am very sorry and surprised to hear that you had such a disappointing experience at our property.
Let me apologize for the service offered by our front desk teams. Such service is not common with us and does not reflect our usual high levels of guest service.

However I will make sure to pass you special thanks to our staff at the bar, they will be delighted by your remarks!

Moreover your valuable comments about the internet charges will be taken with the utmost concern.

I can only hope you will allow us another chance to regain your trust in our hotel and associates next time travelling back to Paris.

Kind regards,
Hong Kong
Reviewed 12 May 2012 via mobile

I didn't have high expectation of the hotel. The room turned out to be small but cozy, which i enjoyed. Location was unbeatable. I dont usually write review, but this time really want to recommend the breakfast buffet in the hotel. It is one of the best breakfast buffets i have had in my life! If the breakfast included rate is available, get it! Also, very helpful and friendly staff especially for paris standard. My group of 12 demanding travelers didnt complain... which says a lot!

• Stayed February 2012
Dear D_Fairy,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us.

Thank you for the nice remarks about ourstaff' friendliness and I am happy you appreciated our breakfast buffet at Le First!!

I hope to see you back at The Westin Paris-Vendôme on the near future.

Kind regards,
Austin, TX
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My wife and I stayed 8 nights at the Westin Vendome 2 weeks ago. We arrived on the 9.30am flight from DFW, and was able to get a room when we arrived at the hotel before the official check-in time. In fact, we even got an upgraded room on the SPG floor. The room was very large by European standards, but was situated next to the elevator.

All the hotel staff we encountered were very friendly. We enlisted the help of the concierge on numerous occasions, and were supplied with useful advice and friendly service.

The hotel location is great, situated between the yellow(Tuilleries) and green(Concorde) lines. You can walk to Laduree, Angelina, Louvre, Orsay, Place Vendome, Opera Garnier, etc. Lots of shopping around too.

There have been some reviews complaining about the thin walls in the hotel. I did not find this to be true for my room, and the walls of the rooms are in fact made of concrete, and not sheetrock as we have in the US. This helps insulate better for sound.

However, since our room was next to the elevator, we did have lots of chatter from other guests come through the door. Another point was that the room doors are designed to shut hard to make sure they lock behind you, so they always slam loudly no matter how hard you try not to. I found that getting a pair of ear plugs from the local pharmacy fixed this problem.

I'll be sure to visit Paris again in the near future, and I'll make my stay at the Westin again when I do.

Room Tip: The rooms with a view of the gardens are nice, but the street below is extremely busy in the day, wi...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Outdoor_hiker
Dear Outdoor_hiker,

Dear Outdoor_hiker,
Thank you so much for your nice comments about our propoperty and on our associates.

I will pass you special thanks to all the staff , they will be delighted by your remarks!

Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings encountered with the noise, which I am glad have not affected your impression about our stay.

I am looking forward to welcoming you again next time travel brings you back to Paris!

Warm Regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Back in the early 2000s, I was a big fan of the Westin brand: their properties were a perfect combination of style, luxury and comfort, and their heavenly bed was truly pure heaven. Since then, many brands have adopted similar concepts and have been very successful at that (for example, Best Western by JFK airport has fantastic beds). Westin's other strong point, its design, has also been outshined by other brands in the luxury space, notably, Kimpton hotels in the US. To me, Westin Paris epitomizes the decline of the Westin brand. First, the renovations (I've stayed at the property when it was Intercontinental) are boring and uninspiring. The color palette in the room (had a junior suite in the attic) is bleak; the furniture is drab and forgettable; the bath did not seem renovated other than the mirror (the floors are old, unheated marble); shockingly, even the bed was not as comfortable as at the other Westin properties; and the linens were nothing special. The price/value combination would be infuriating if I had to pay for this suite (I think it would have been around Eur 800 for two tiny dark rooms with very low, slanted ceilings). If there was some charm in the room with two little balconies, the colors and furnishings in the room did nothing to emphasize that. Notably, Westin charges extra for the view of the Tuilleries (was not the case at the Intercontinental). All in all, there are much better price/value options in a comparable location. I think the only thing going for this hotel, besides its location, is its lovely reception staff, but I am not sure if it's enough to win Westin its reputation. I am not likely to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank xrizantema
Dear xrizantema,

Thank you for taking the time to add your review of your stay.

I am sorry to learn you did not fully enjoy your stay when staying with us.

I wish to apologize foryou were not satisfied with our new Westin decoration and can assure you I have taken good note of your comments .

Regarding your comment on our prices, please, rest assured that we will take into consideration your opinion during our future price reviews, even though they have been established in line with other hotels of the same category in Paris.

On a more positive note, I would like to thank you for your great comment about our staff!

I hope you will reconsider your decision of returning to the Westin Paris-Vendôme during your next stay in Paris, allowing us the chance to exceed your expectations.

Kind Regards,