All reviews single room cooking facilities metro station non touristy own bathroom awesome stay visit paris bars and restaurants nespresso machine superb hotel little things bus stop menilmontant fridge neighborhood jourdain toblerone
Reviewed 7 September 2016 via mobile

So this was my first ever alone trip, and I am so glad I found this hotel. The little studio I stayed in for four nights was everything I needed. WiFi connection was really good, which was important. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Only downside was that the street was really noisy, because there is some sort of daycare situated on the other side of the street. It woke me quite early, but other than that my stay was perfect.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Catherine D, Gérant at Hotel de la Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2016

Dear Sanne,
Nice to hear you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you felt comfortable at the hotel. Thank you for underlining our wifi is fast, fiber makes miracles sometimes. And we very much appreciate your comment on our staff.
True, the kindergarten located on the other side of the street might be noisy sometimes: it is also because the street is very very calm, one car per hour... but if it helped you waking up a bit earlier to appreciate our fresh breakfast, not so bad:)
We wish you many many other alone trips!
All the best,

Reviewed 18 August 2016

This place is excellent, close to metro and supermarket but still peaceful. Plenty of places to eat and enjoy music within walking distance. Claude on reception is one of the most helpful and friendly people I have ever met! Breakfast is a brilliant optional extra. The room was claened daily and was spotless. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I had a courtyard room which is lovely but you cannot leave a window open, there is however a really good electric fan in the room.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo

Thank you very much Louiseclare12!
You are right to underline we are not far from the metro stations (Ménilmontant or Jourdain), some 7-8 minutes walk. And there is even shorter to go downtown, the bus, line 96, just up the street. And it is a very nice sightseeing for the price (and the ambiance) of a real Parisian bus.
Thank you for congratulating our staff, this is always nice to hear/read.
Hope to see you soon,

Reviewed 7 August 2016

I stay in a single room with a shared bathroom. Nice room, quiet and clean. Basic but comfortable. Met by Claud who was great and helped out loads. Located slightly off the main routes but great for that. Local bars and cafes are great. Basically you are just off the centre of Paris. If you want a great, cheap, clean and no frills place within touching distance of everything in Paris come here. Great welcome followed by great stay.

Room Tip: Single room with shared bathroom was fine
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends

Hello Pauliood!
Thank you for your review, this is nice to read you appreciated your stay (and staff!) at the hotel. Ménilmontant is an old Parisian area with its own charm, aside of the touristic main stream but, as you mention, full of nice bars and restaurants and finally quite close (around 20 minutes) from the center.
All the best,

Reviewed 18 July 2016

Having previously stayed in the Marais/Temple district this was my first time in Menilmontant. It won't be my last. Fantastic clean hotels . Rooms well-equipped with all imaginable amenities. (shower robes blew me away). Very friendly and helpful staff. But equally impressive was the quartier Menilmontant. So many charming and alluring , traditional, very Parisian (i.e not touristy) bars and bistros within easy walking distance of the Hotel. Aside from the various establishments listed on the Hotel web site, I discovered numerous other bars in the vicinity. Many with random, spontaneous live music. My favourite was La Vieux Belleville with its traditional Piaf and other french music. A la prochaine.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Darren B
Reviewed 26 June 2016

Paris can be an expensive city for accommodation, so to find this little gem was a massive bonus. The service was excellent, with a very friendly receptionist who greeted me on arrival. The same woman was also fantastically helpful the next morning when I couldn't get my room safe open (the safe comes included with the room).

Rooms are small but comfortable, with a fridge, sink, and cooking facilities in them. Wifi is free, but a bit unreliable at times. Bathrooms are shared, but these were always clean.

One of the best touches from the hotel was the free breakfast included every morning. A bag was left outside the room each morning containing a croissant, baguette, and some butter & jam - much appreciated.

The location was fine, close to 2 metro stops and with plenty of restaurants close by. The area itself isn't the nicest in Paris and seemed a little seedy, especially after dark, but I didn't feel unsafe at any time. There is also a large supermarket just a few yards from the hotel.

All in all, an excellent choice if on a budget, and somewhere I will definitely consider staying at if I return to Paris.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo