“Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!”

Ranked #9 of 166 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Kuching, Malaysia
“Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!”
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Do not be misled by the pictures found in 'Gallery' at the official website. The current condition of the hostel is much worse.

Never stay in room 12, the filthiest room I’ve ever come across. The noisiest room in the hostel as it is next to the lift, just above the kitchen, facing the road and located on the 1st floor. Strong smells of urine and feces in and from the toilet. Nightmare.

Ask to view the room 1st before making payment. Ask for receipt after making payment or else it will not be given. Full payment is required upon checking in.

Wifi is available on the ground floor only.
Indifferent staffs. A few are arrogant.
Seedy neighborhood.
There were shouts from the streets every night at 2 or 3 am during our stay.
No towel, soap or shampoo. Towel is on loan at 1€/piece. Toilet papers are provided.
Bed sheets are given when checking in and returned when checking out.
Small lockers available at 0.5€.
Internet access at 1€ for 15mins, 1.5€ for 30 mins, 2.5€ for 1 hour.
Kitchen opens from 11am to 10:30pm.
Laundry service is available. Washing machine 4€. Dryer 3€.
Supermarket is 5-10 mins walk away.
Sacré-Cœur is 10 mins walk away.
Entirely non-smoking hostel.
Lift is available

We will NEVER return to this hostel.

Room Tip: If you really have to stay, view the room 1st before making payment. Some rooms are in better condit...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Traveleveryyear

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Gadsden
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I stayed at this quaint hostel on my first solo trip abroad. It was perfect for a week in Paris spent exploring the many areas of the city. The view of the Sacre Coeur was such a special treat too. If you are a simple and efficient traveler I highly recommend it. Safe, secure, and all of the quirks of Europe on a budget (for example the shared hallway shower). The free breakfast helped keep on par with money as well. I would definitely book there again in the future.

Room Tip: Balcony and a view of the Sacre Couer are a must.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Taryn B
London
Reviewed 24 October 2011

My boyfriend and I had a private room with en-suite. I had asked for a room with a view of Scare-Coeur and despite several emails flying back and forth between me and the concierge they were very non-commital as to whether we would have the view. We did...and it was fabulous!! So romantic! After a long day seeing the sights my we stopped off at the local supermarket to pick up some cheese and wine which we ate while soaking up the best view in Paris.
The location is superb - 60 seconds from Anvers metro and a short walk from Pigalle with restaurants and a bit of nightlife.
This is a hostel and it makes no apologies for itself. However the rooms on the top floor were quiet and away from the general hubub. Negatives are peeling paint in the shower, light stains on the carpet (probably red wine from other revellers!) ...but these minor details and far outweighed by the positives. Despite being a little rough around the edges it is clean and neat with fresh linen and hot water, great connections and location, friendly helpful staff and a decent breakfast.
I

Room Tip: I think the view is only available for the ensuite rooms on the top floor. If you are going as a cou...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Boosid
Pacific Northwest
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Le Regent is well located about a five minute walk to the Sacre Coure in Montmarte. The area has lots of shopping and restaurants and is a ten minute walk to Gare Nord train station. The hotel is a block from the Metro and one can walk to the center of Paris if the weather permits. Le Regent provides a great kitchen to prepare lunch or dinner and provides a good breakfast of juice, cereals and a croissant or muffin along with coffee or tea. I would stay at Le Regent again and enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: I was in a top floor room. It was a bit warmer than a lower floor but also quieter. I would stay a...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank wanderlust52
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Positives:

We stayed in a private room (with ensuite) and I asked for the advertised view of the Sacré Coeur. When we got upstairs to our room and looked from the balcony, our jaws dropped-we couldn't believe our luck! I'll add a couple of pictures to show what I'm talking about. They really under-sell the view on the website!

The room was exactly what was advertised to us and the bathroom was good too; the shower pressure was actually quite strong compared to other places I've been in so I was actually able to wash my hair with ease! There was a little hair-dryer in there (but if you've got space in your luggage, I recommend you bring your own). It even had a flat-screen TV with about 30 channels!

The kitchen was very spacious and there was plenty of space to keep your food in the provided fridges. There was loads of space to hang out, use their wifi and meet other travelers. The free breakfast until 10:00 was a great way to start the day.

Another point they under-sell is their proximity to the (underground and therefore silent) métro. It is literally 30 seconds away making it a breeze to reach anywhere in Paris (pick up the 10 pack of métro cards or the under 26yr cards at the weekends for best value).

Negatives:

This is a 2 star hotel/hostel. After reading some of the reviews, I'm wondering if people actually realized this...don't expect the Ritz. Of course it's going to be basic. For example, the tiles in our bathroom could have done with a revamp. It smelled kind of funky the first day we got there but that went away.

As for the 'unsafe' location, Anvers métro stop is one over from Pigalle which is the red-light district and again over from Barbes-Rochechouart which is a bit dodgy. However, it seems to be a safe-haven in the middle of the two. We encountered no problems, even at night.

Overall, a hugely positive experience. The view and the location were amazing and for the sort of place that it is, I couldn't have asked for more.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with the view of the Sacré Coeur!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple