All reviews beautiful hostel pont marie no elevator small pastry bed room quiet hours st paul metro heavy luggage great location basic things decent breakfast hand soap baguette yogurt notre dame checking in the ground floor
Reviewed 27 March 2018

The stunning views, the LOCATION, the breakfast, the ease of checking in and out, the service and staff- I highly recommend this hostel. Location, location, location- you feel like the neighborhood you're in is the stuff out of a story book. The only downside was the lack of outlets in the rooms- four people sharing one outlet is tough. Other than that, I would return and would recommend to anyone who is looking to stay in Paris.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank edemmon95
AubergesMIJE, Responsable relations clients at Auberge de Jeunesse MIJE Fauconnier, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience in our hostel. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we are glad that you enjoyed your time with us.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

The location is wonderful. It is close to everything so you can walk everywhere. The staff are all so kind and can speak many languages. The building is a classic; you can stay in a historical building. The rules are clear and well explained.

I stayed in a room for 9 women which had two sinks, two showers and one toilet. There were only 4 of us in the room, so we had adequate space to use the amenities. Each bed has a light so one does not have to distract the other people in the room. The bath and shower are also in separate areas so it is easy to be private without disturbing others. I had very nice room mates.

The three things which should be dealt with are mentioned here before:
1. Only 4 plugs in the room for 9 people. These days people travel with several electronic devices. It should be possible to have fast charges available, similar to the airport fast charging stations in the rooms and in the common areas.

2. Wifi did not work any where. I mentioned this and was dismissed. It worked for about 5 minutes a day and then would connect, but show that no internet was available. I had to go to McDonalds to check my email.

3. Breakfast. It is nice to have breakfast provided. For facilities of this size, fresh bread should be delivered every day. The bread seemed to be a day old as it was stale. At least a microwave could be available to freshen up the bread.

4. It would be nice to have hot water available so one can make tea.

I calculate that for a 9 person room at 35 Euros per person the tariff is about 300 Euros per night per room. For 300 Euros it would be expected that each person should have the ability to plug in one electronic device and that the wifi should be available at least in the common area.

Lastly, the bathroom has no soap and no paper towels. After using the toilet it is not possible to wash hands with soap and dry them on a disposable paper towel. It is most sanitary to have people wash hands with soap after using the toilet. It is not always convenient to take one's towel and soap when one uses the toilet.

The hostel has so many reasons to stay; it is time to invest in technology in order to accommodate the needs of modern travel.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank spiritedbolderwomen
AubergesMIJE, Responsable relations clients at Auberge de Jeunesse MIJE Fauconnier, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience in our hostel. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. It is hard to satisfy everyone, especially when you know that the buildings are very old. That's why for now we can only offer the wifi in the lobby.

Reviewed 16 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed for a long weekend. The hostel is close to two metro stations, making it easy to get to anywhere. Stayed in a 10 bed female dorm, big spacious room, wasn’t busy at the beginning of December. Shared bathroom and toilet was fine as expected, though strangely you have to provide your own hand soap.
Surprising breakfast was provided, a tray with half a baguette, a small pastry, an orange juice, a hot drink, and self serve yoghurt and cereal. Simple but does the job.
Staff were friendly and helpful, and has a locked storage for bags.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Lisa T
Reviewed 13 December 2017

This is a perfect place for a young traveler who is on a budget. It has all the basic things you need and is wonderful if you don't spend much time in a hotel anyway and just need a place to keep your stuff, sleep and shower.
The location is magnificent, safe at night, not a far away distance from metro or RER stops. People working there were very nice, friendly and helpful. The building and rooms themselves have an extraordinary older vibe to it. I loved how the rooms are planned, the beds are on different levels and my room had two floors as well. During my visit it wasn't crowded, not all the beds were taken. There is a baggage room, though there are not enough lockers (there are few, to keep smaller valuables perhaps, but you need to have an euro with you), anyway there is plenty of space to keep your luggage (if you are wandering around the city till check in is available (3PM) otherwise you can just keep it in your room). Don't leave valuable items or lock them, have a padlock on your luggage. It is only and advice, I haven't had any bad encounters, but it's better to be safe.
Also I would advise to have a towel (they don't provide it), flip flops to go to the shower, if you use a hair drier - bring that with you, ear plugs and an eye mask and other specific items which would make your stay more comfortable.
The conditions of the hostel were actually better than I thought when reading other reviews, though have in mind - it is a hostel, it can't be compared to a hotel. It was very clean, the bed was comfortable enough,the bed size is just a normal twin (perhaps too little only for those who are very large (tall men?) and I am speaking as a person who is used to sleeping in queen/king size bed alone, it wasn't cold, there was hot water in the showers (I've read there wasn't).
Overall, I enjoyed my stay here.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Anais M
AubergesMIJE, Responsable relations clients at Auberge de Jeunesse MIJE Fauconnier, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience in our hostel. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we are happy to read that you enjoyed the hostel and the area. We are looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 1 December 2017

Summary: Worth it for the neighborhood, but don't plan on hanging at hostel much if at all!

The hostel was in a great location in Paris, and that was the primary reason for our stay there. The price was also very good for the area. The building was pretty and clean enough but the hostel itself was quite basic. There was only one outlet with two plugs located in a room for 4 people, which seems like a huge oversight. The wifi was only usable on the 1st floor, and even then it was slow. There is no where to lock up your belongings inside of your room, so fingers crossed you have honest roommates. Bring your own towel and flip flops for the shower.

There was no kitchen or common space to relax besides the dining hall downstairs, which we tried to hang out in one night but were asked to move to another part of the room, and to speak in near-whispers after a certain hour. Having quiet hours is completely understandable, but I always assumed hostels were a little more social than the average library!

Breakfast was basically two different types of bread. Neither of us asked for seconds, but there was also kind of the vague impression that we wouldn't have gotten it anyways. Strange vibe.

The shower in our room was actually just a tiny exposed pipe sticking out of the wall. My first shower there was basically like someone flicking water droplets in a wide circle from the ceiling. My hair would have gotten wetter faster if it were being licked by a kitten! It was as if you were walking through a fine mist, except instead of a mythical forest, you were in a small bathroom with no fan and obvious mold on the ceiling. We talked with the front desk about this, and they were quite nice about it, but told us to ask again in the AM. The next day two repairmen managed to crank up the water pressure, and then we had an acceptable amount of water blasting at us, though still not in any recognizable spraying pattern. Still, definitely a marked improvement!!

All in all, an affordable option to stay in Le Marais. Next time I visit I will probably splurge for nicer accommodations. Am I just too old to appreciate this now? I haven't stayed in many hostels, but this one had the vibe of my freshman college dorm, but even more bewildering roommates, and without any of the fun parties happening. If you're looking for a spot to meet other travelers and go out, this isn't the place. If you're looking for a basic and clean place to crash, this'll do.

Room tip: No real choice given, but the higher floors seem to be colder. Plus many stairs, no elevators!
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank gnanalie

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience in our hostel. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we will relay your very constructive (and well described !) comments. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.