“Better three star hotel than most”

Hotel Terminus Montparnasse
Ranked #1,509 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Houston
“Better three star hotel than most”
Reviewed 28 February 2010

This hotel is better than many of the 3 star hotels in the area around the hotel, as the star rating system can be a little sketchy in Paris at times. I tried a different hotel down the street and had to check out because they lost reservations for a colleague and the rooms were tiny. The Terminus on the other hand has fairly large rooms - definitely compared with others I've seen in Paris -- and they're clean, with a competent staff. The breakfast buffet is above average. I've been back several times and am happy with the hotel. The only negative is with the night staff behind the desk who at times can be cranky if they're woken up past a certain hour or if you're checking out very early in the a.m.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank USAdventraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Zurich
Reviewed 23 April 2009

I stayed at this hotel for one night based on its location, price and reasonable reviews - but found it to be seriously lacking in a lot of respects.

The accommodation
Small and outdated. There were stains on one of the pillow slips and the towels were all frayed and worn. There was no shower curtain so when I had a shower, water went all over the bathroom floor. (soaking my clothes!)

I had checked that the hotel had internet access but when I checked in my room I found that it was 21 Euros for 24 hours access. Go to one of the numerous cafes around with free WiFi. Much cheaper, you can enjoy a coffee and soak up the Parisian vibe!

The breakfast
I am allergic to wheat and dairy and so am used to bringing my own soy milk and having a pretty basic breakfast at most hotels. The breakfast served here was simply awful. Whilst they served most of the usual French breakfast fare, the quality of what I had was appalling. I can't comment on the freshness of the croissants, as I am unable to eat them, but the freshness of the fruit was really bad. There was a platter of fruit to select from so I chose an apple and kiwi fruit, only to find when I cut them open that they were completely soft, brown and inedible. So I had my cornflakes with my own soy yoghurt and a glass of orange juice. They served coffee, but this was so revolting I took one sip and left it. (I don't function without my morning coffee, so for me to go without means the coffee is really, really bad!!!)

Checkout
At checkout I was told that my breakfast wasn't included ( I had stupidly not double checked my booking and just assumed that I had booked breakfast!- I was very annoyed with myself!), So my delightful breakfast of off fruit and bad coffee cost me 12 Euros!!

The woman on the service desk was quite rude. I mentioned the bad breakfast and she said " Well what do you want me to do? Take the price of the apple off your bill?" and then proceeded to say things in French... judging from her body language and my high school French, were not exactly nice!

So whilst the location is great - not much about Hotel Terminus Montparnasse is. I definitely won't be going back.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2008

Stayed at this Hotel for 4 days during a larger trip to France.
After reading many reviews beforehand, and having travelling to Europe in previous years you should accept and prepare yourself for a few things beforehand, which will make your experience good.

1. On Average, hotel room size is much smaller than North American aveage. Accept it.

2. Most buildings are hundreds of years old thusly they do not have elevators, and if they have been retrofitted with an elevator it will be small. enough for 1 person and luggage. Dont complain about it, just make 2 trips.

The key to a great hotel in Paris is distance to a metro station. The Metro in Paris is amazing,and will have you to most sights within 10 mins time. The Terminus Montparnasse is located literally 10 steps away fromn the entrance to the Gare Montparnasse train station, a major station in the network, which houses around 6 different lines that will take you all over Paris. We very rarely had to transfer to a different line, as so many flowed out of the Gare Montparnasse. The downside to the metro station being right below the hotel is that you can and will hear the trains coming and going. We were never there during the day, so it was not much of an issue,and the Metro stopped running at around 12:30am. My wife is a light sleeper, and she would never the Metro at night, so to us it was not a big issue.But a good FYI.

The Montparnasse area is very lively at night, several movie theatres bring hundreds of locals into the area at night, who all settle into the numerous cafes and restaurants around the hotel. I found this to be great, as it was a real look into the life of Paris, rather than a tourist area. There is also a large shopping area across the street, in addituion to a 53 story office tower. Apparently you can go up to the top of the tower for a great 360' view of Paris. However, we didnt actually do this. The Hotel has a supermarket beside it called Monoprix, which always came in handy.

We never ate breakfast at the hotel, as there were so many places around, but again dont expect Bacon and eggs. Croissant, Baguettes, and Pain du chocloat (Chocolate Croisstants) are par for the course here. If you must, there is a McDonalds around the corner where I'm sure you could get a McMuffin. The area is very safe, even at 2:00am.

The Hotel staff is nice enough, although information does seems to come when you ask for it. IE More information other than the question you asked is not volunteered. The night front desk clerk did leave something to be desired, (Balding man with Glasses) as he hung up on my wife, when communication between them became an issue IE Her French is not that good, and his English was not that good.

If you wish to walk rather than to take the Metro, To walk from the hotel to the sights of the siene IE Notre Dame, Louve, etc will take you about 1/2 hour. It seems everything to the Parisans is a 5 min walk. No matter where we went and asked about directions, the answer was always, Its a 5 min walk. So be wary of this :)

The hotel was clean, we took a room with a double bed (very soft)
Also, ensure your room has a shower, as some only come witrh a bathtub. Our room has a bathtub with a shower head, so that was fine. Although there was no shower curtain, its not that it was missing, there was just no curtain ever put there.

There was a small flatscreen TV which had CNN in English.

Have fun in Paris!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Washington DC
Reviewed 25 October 2007

I use these hotel for new years eve of in 2007.

Hotel is a typical 3 star Paris Hotel.

Pros
- Clean
- Good neighborhood ( shops, restaurants)
Try the restaurant on the rigth of the hotel, very good!
Walking distance to Effiel Tower, Enfants and other monuments.
Around the corner Mc donalds ( if your in a tigth budget)
- Metro access rigth infront of Hotel (Montparnasse)
- Wireless internet in lobby

Cons
- There was a Senior Night shift lobbiest, he was kind of a jerk when we ask him for some help. Since our french is that not that perfect, i guess he got offended, Old school french man, i guess?
- Breakfast is ok, nothing special.

I got a street facing room, it was very nice and not noisy. Bed was all (queen), it looked bigger. and bathroom was ok. Got a 120 Euro/day rate, it was very good considering other options where 130-150 aorund those days.

Ok deal, ill take it again for a good rate.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)