“Would never stay there again.” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Royal Bergere
Ranked #1,587 of 1,793 Hotels in Paris
Dallas, Tx
“Would never stay there again.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2009

Finding it was even a problem. The address they emailed didn't match what the gps would pull up in the cabs and no one knew where this street or hotel was. The kid at the desk didn't know how far they were from anything (we got directions from hotel next door) and couldn't find the reservation we had been emailed confirmation on. Internet didn't work (and hadn't for several days). Breakfast was warm milk, juice, cereal, croissants, and warm yogurt. Not good. They didn't even understand where to park out front after we got our car. The room was small, bed lumpy, TV didn't work properly, bathroom was clean. We checked out the next day and made other arrangements.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — poor staff, poor breakfst, no internet
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Jyvaskyla, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2007

I must say about this hotel that you simply can not forget this one ;) We had room nro 72. Top floor with skylight. It was really nice lay in bed (which suppose to be for two, but was 120 or 140cm wide) and watch Paris sky. Hotel room was funny shaped and tinny and worn down, but clean and so was bathroom.
Breakfast room was really small and breakfast was not special.

What good was staff and its location. We love to walk around. Nice restorants all over. Perhpas we next time book another hotel from that area.

• Liked — location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — this hotel needs better renovation
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Paris hotels

Solymár
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2007

We were frustrated. Room, bed were very small. Some staff was unfriendly. Breakfast was very simple.

• Stayed June 2007
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2007

I got home at 11 last night after a field trip to Paris, my second visit to the city and this is my experience, I've been honest and detailed as my memory is fresh, so you shouldn't get any shocks.

*******************
On a low budget with 20 mature students studying a tourism-related subject we managed perfectly fine at this friendly hotel! We were quite afraid after reading the reviews here and so went with in muttering "expect the worst and you can't be disappointed".

THE ROOM

We expected far worse than we got. Yes, Paris hotel rooms are small, its the price to pay for staying in such a bustling city. You will find the room small and perhaps larger built folks might find it compact but noone in our group suffered too much.

The windows are nice and big if you are facing the street and open like conservatory windows so that was quite a pleasant suprise. It was quiet inside.

There is a wardrobe which me and my room-mate managed to fit our toiletries, clothes, shoes and long boots in so I was quite impressed.

The beds are single, they can be as one or pushed apart, they have various blankets on them and spare pillows in the wardrobe.

The bathroom isn't huge but is big enough, the shower was fine and powerful enough, it wasn't 'drained by a hole in the floor' either. The soap and shower gel are pretty basic and in wall-mounted dispensers but I always like to use my own anyway and the shop across the road sells everything too. Unless your bathroom at home is particularly luxurious you will survive. We always had fresh linen and towels and the room was hoovered daily (croissants are crumb ridden and a good test of this).

TIPS

For ladies I would recommend taking a portable mirror to stand on the bureau if you like to sit and do make up/hair etc, although we used those on the bathroom and wardrobe and we did this a lot(!) being two young ladies. Also a proper travel hairdryer as greatly missed, the one available is old fashioned and fixed to the wall, like those found at some sports facilities but it wasn't a big problem.

I missed my kettle and next time would take my portable one as everyone in Paris smokes and my throat wasn't coping well with it. We smelt smoke in the corridor a few times but not in reception/breakfast rooms, or our own room-there are a lot of notices reminding people to extinguish them anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If you are allergic to feathers, as I turned out to be; take a small pillow if you can. I ended up putting a towel over mine and taking allergy tablets, the staff were helpful in finding the pharmacy and asked how I was every day awwww.

MTV and CNN were on our TV as well as regular, limited French TV, most of the day it was English MTV programmes with subtitles. It's not like you go on holiday to watch TV though anyway, Paris is at your door!

THE BREAKFAST

Help yourself to:
-Tea, hot/cold milk,hot/cold water, coffee, hot chocolate.
-Cornflakes,Croissants, Baguettes, laughing cow cheese, strawberry/raspberry and other jams.

We worried that the breakfast room was small (as most are in Paris) but the staff were working hard clearing tables to make sure everyone was able to have a seat quickly, as well as re-filling everything.

THE STAFF

Every day, every member of staff was kind and helpful in a nice relaxed way. All spoke English although we did our best to use French where possible and they assisted and were patient with us. Our group included Welsh, English, Greek and Chinese people and they chatted to us all. The hotel is secure, with staff always available around reception and they even slept on the lounge sofa to let us in at 430 in the morning on our last night.

THE SURROUNDING AREA

Easy to get to by Cadet & Grande Boulevards metro stops and a free map, which the hotel stock. The hotel was in Pigalle, an area I would never have stayed in if I had booked...but I never had to go near the risque areas, I am a small, young female and felt safe when I wandered-really!

Around the hotel are many cheaper international cuisine restaurants, some convenience stores and regular shops, even a virgin music store nearby. There is a nice friendly brasserie at the corner of the street who were so kind they even played our CD's for us to make us feel at home and an Irish bar called O'Sullivans which shows football matches, plays English music and U2 and goes wild later in the night, a lot of fun.

******************************************************************
If you want a cheap, friendly place to stay, it's great, maybe I wouldn't choose it immediately if I was going for a romantic break but with friends it would be a great place to stay on a budget or last minute, if you go in with an open mind.

Stayed March 2007
6 Thank What-Katy-Did
Oxford & London England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2007

Its small, its noisy its not exactly brim full of clean public areas and the rooms are smelly. The bathroom was akin to a small cave with no bath, a shower that drained through a hole in the floor. The bed was uncomfortable, and we barely slept during the two nights we stayed. The owners have what I believe to a fading interest in the hotel or its guests. We'd had enough after 2 nights so moved a few doors down the road where we got something approaching a modern Europen standard of accomodation.
I think the French method of grading accomodation leaves something to be desired, it says 3 star s over the door , but I'd give it a meagre 1.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rooms and services
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple