“If you like bread...”

Ranked #45 of 296 Bakeries in Paris
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Prés
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Prés
Reviewed 6 April 2018

You'll LOVE Poilane! We got here in the morning and had breakfast next door first. By the time we worked our way around to get some baked goods, they had a line out the door. The ladies inside were working hard and fast to get people taken care of though, so the wait wasn't terribly long. Plus, the shop was so small and it was so hard to see everything that you really needed the time to scope out what you wanted. From that perspective, it was a little hectic and frantic, but the ladies did a great job of providing us with friendly, fast service once it was our turn.

Their sourdough bread is what you'd expect, hearty and fragrant but not quite the same as San Francisco's sourdough breads. We had a few of their baked goods like a pain au chocolat, an apple turnover and an apple danish. While they weren't the best I've ever had, they were still all quite good.

I would definitely stop in here again when in Paris.

Reviewed 3 January 2018

Ina Garten's favorite bread in Paris, and the best pain au chocolat I had. The smell of fresh bread in the little bakery front was to die for.

Reviewed 18 December 2017

I have long awaited a visit to Poilane and I was not disappointed, I took the family for dejeuner and had the sourdough with confiture and coffee! it was what I expected and thoroughly enjoyed!

Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

All the women who work there have no single smile. They use their hands directly, so disgusting!! You go there because it’s famous? Forget it. There are millions good bakeries in paris. The biscuits are great but it’s better to buy at Bon Marche.
Their cafe has the same problem! The old waitresses and old waiter are terrible. The young guy is the only hope in this cafe! If he is not there, don’t go. You’d be treated like a trash.

Reviewed 6 December 2017

This bakery serves splendid bread and the best croissants I've ever eaten (and I've eaten a lot of croissants!). The small restaurant next door uses the bakery's bread for delicious sandwiches -- definitely worth a visit.