“Rating Before First Visit”

Hotel de Crillon, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #1,017 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Richmond, Virginia
“Rating Before First Visit”
Reviewed 23 September 2012

After reading such varied ratings on the Hotel de Crillon, I became concerned with the swings in comments one to another. I have a perfect romantic trip scheduled in November with my wife and I want it to be just that...perfect in every way possibly. I personnaly contacted the hotel to discuss my concerns and received a reply from Mr. Wassim Mathlouthi, Guest Relations Manager, and, I was instantly put at ease. If the promptness and warmness of the staff shows five star quality even before the visit - this is the place for us. We are looking forward to a wonderful stay at this magnificent hotel. It often appears that sometimes doing unto others what you would have done until you is still the best option. Thank you Mr. Wassim Mathlouthi, you certainly showed exceptional professionalism and class and it is truly appreciated.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank John M J
lucdelafosse, Directeur général at Hotel de Crillon, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
Thank you very much for information and comment on Wassim before your visit in November.
Luc Delafosse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I stayed at Hotel De Crillon after a gap of several years. Its location is unparalleled - it is close to the Tuileries Gardens, right on La Place de la Concorde - walking back from Place de Vendome last night, the night was clear and the Eiffel Tower was glittering against the night sky. Each member of staff I dealt with was as helpful as it is possible to be - nothing was too much trouble.
The bed linen was of the highest quality, the shower great. My only gripe is the price of breakfast - I could feed myself for several days at that price. I would - probably shall - stay there again - it is an historic and beautiful building in an improbably romantic location. (The local shopping is, well, every big name you could want, so leave your credit cards behind.)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Thank you very much for sharing the experience of the Hotel de Crillon...
Sussex, England
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Can a hotel really be worth £750 a night - and if so what do you get for it? For that, dear reader is what we paid for a two night stay at the Crillon as a special treat. And that was a discount - the rack rate on our room was over €1100.
It is worth noting the things you don't get. Firstly, space. Our room could politely be described as 'compact'. Admittedly this was a Superior Room, the lowest of the low in Crillonland, and it did have a nice lobby and dressing room area but it was surprisingly small. Second there were no tea and coffee facilities and no ironing board or press. In Crillonland you are not supposed to engage in such low life activities as making your own beverages or pressing a shirt.
What you do get is a wonderfully fitted room, with a beautiful venetian chandelier and the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in. The bathroom was a majesty of marble and there is no meanness here - all the soaps and shampoos are replenished daily. The only niggle was that the tv oddly didn't fit inside its wall cabinet so sat, rather sadly, wedged against the cupboard doors.
You also get wonderful service. The staff could not have been nicer and were impressively prompt whenever you asked for anything - thank you Henri Francois for wrapping our present. Breakfast in the gorgeous salon was a delight. And of course the location in Place de la Concorde is awe-inspiring.
In short the Crillon is majestic hotel and I am very pleased we took the (financial) plunge and stayed, if only just once. But when there are plenty of comfortable, friendly hotels nearby for a fifth of the cost, I am not sure we will be going back soon.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank meansuitcase
Interesting feedback which I enjoyed reading, thank you very much.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I was taken here as a surprise for my 21st birthday and I certainly won't forget it. From the delicious food ( we dined in l'obe and had breakfast here), yes for 3 cakes and 3 hot drinks it did cost €66 but for the experience we did not begrudge this one bit.
Another stand out factor was the outstanding service, you really felt that they went the extra mile for example on my birthday they sent macaroons and juice up to my room, and a room upgrade on check in. Also when we handed our baggage in my suitcase was broke and when I came to collect it again it was fixed!
The only bad point to our stay here which is why I only gave it very good is the beds, on booking my mum was led to believe that we would have 2 twin beds and a double bed, which actually turned out to be a double bed and a very uncomfy fold up bed ( not what you would expect from the money we were paying.
All in all though I definitely won't forget my stay here in what was a simply beautiful hotel that was fit for a queen, I could say a lot more about my experience but I simply cannot say enough thankyou hotel de crillon for a memorable 21st!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for this nice feedback.
Lus Delafosse
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Where to begin. Suppose to stay Monday AM through Thursday AM. Was informed at check-in that my reservation ended on Wednesday morning and there was no availability for Wednesday night. Given it was fashion week in Paris availability elsewhere was limited. Great. This occurs despite corresponding on line and speaking twice to reservations on the phone. Received the obligatory "sorry" but no assistance in finding an alternative hotel. The final irony is Wednesday morning when I go to checkout (after spending over an hour on the phone Tuesday looking for an alternative hotel) the gentleman processing my bill says "but, I see in the computer that you are not scheduled to depart until Thursday...". With packed bags at my feet there was no way I was staying at the Crillon another night.

My suite, Room 303, was large as it should have been for the price. However, it was drab, cold and tired. Looked nothing like the crisp yellow and white suite "representative photo" on the web. My wife found the room downright depressing. The bathroom was tiny by comparison to the sitting room and bedroom. Two adults could not maneuver in the bathroom at the same time. If my suite was representative of the rest of the rooms/suites, the hotel needs to renovate quickly as seasoned travelers will go elsewhere for fresher accommodations.

The best I can say about the one meal I had at the hotel is that the breakfast salon is spectacular. A truly lovely room. As for the meal, I will let you decide - 2 coffees, 2 juices, 4 croissants and one bowl of oatmeal = 70 Euros. Oh, and the service was poor. A bowl of Cocoa Puffs (seriously!) was presented to me. I asked for oatmeal. It then took 25 minutes to make oatmeal.

The hotel location is excellent. However, the hotel is trading on what I believe is an outdated reputation. I travel 40+ times a year and have stayed at first class hotels (including George V and Le Meurice in Paris) and dive motels. I was hoping to have a wonderful stay at Hotel de Crillon. I was disappointed by all aspects of the stay. For the type of money which the hotel is asking, you can do much better in Paris. I give the hotel 2 stars only because of the location.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 303 unless renovated. Rooms facing US Embassy are quiet.