“Would you like some French Fries with that?”

Hotel Vaneau Saint Germain
Ranked #559 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Ultimately, as it was my first time in Paris I learnt pretty quickly that this hotel was not amazing but enjoyable. It had airconditioning, a good sized bathroom and a bed that slept two people comfortably. There was a mini bar hidden underneath the tv and the windows opened up so you can check out what's going on the streets of Paris. The hotel is a few short walk to Vaneau Station and it is located in the midst of everything; pubs, cafes, restaurants, supermarkets and a tobacco shop ( they don't really sell cigarettes anywhere except specialty stores ) which was a drama to find unless a local pointed you to the right direction. I would highly recommend this hotel to all my closest friends, but keep it a secret amongst my non closest friends as this is a really good value hotel that you can pretty much comfortably stay in without breaking the budget. Coffee service is unlimited after breakfast and they will store your luggage after your late check out ( 12pm ) without hesitation.

Two things you might not like about this hotel:

1) The lift only goes up to the fourth floor. If you're staying on the sixth floor, you're going to have to get the stairs up. Pack lightly.

2) The hotel needs a bit of renovation but this didn't affect my stay.

The cafe next to the hotel has amazing service and great coffee. Just remember to smile and learn a bit of French beforehand.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Charlon C

Reviewed 24 July 2012

I stayed here for a 3 night stay and I quite enjoyed this hotel.

I have seen others complaints about this hotel and let me just say yes - it does need a few renovations here and there, but in all, it is still in a fairly decent condition, and most importantly, it is clean and cosy. Also - people may complain that it is 'over-priced'... but that isn't the hotel, that is Paris! Paris is a fairly expensive city and for the quality of the hotel, I thought the prices were fair. If you want to stay in something all fancy and expensive, then go and stay there, and pay the price! I did a lot of research before selecting this hotel and let me tell you, once you have done the amount of research I did, you soon realise this place is a decent deal, I paid AUD$500 for 3 nights stay here, yet some of the slightly better places were going to cost me about AUD$1000 for 3 nights... so go figure!

I never tried the breakfast here but I believe it is about €16 per person... its your own personal choice and if you are happy to pay that, go for it, but if you aren't, just wander down the streets around the hotel, you can get some pretty decent food for much cheaper and its probably nicer. There is a cafe next to the hotel on the corner, you can go down there and stand at the bar and have an espresso & croissant and €2.50 (its cheaper to stand and drink your coffee than to sit. If you sit it is €2.50 just for the coffee but only €1.50 if you stand). There was also a bakery down the road that I used to go down to and a fruit shop etc... pick up bits of food and eat along the way, delicious!

Beds were nice - room was cute but small, but oh well, this is an old Parisian hotel, so you should expect that.

It is also right above the Vaneau metro station which is awesome. The metro in Paris is so easy to use and it is brilliant (even better than the London tube!). The hotel is close by but removed from the really touristy areas which I think is better, you get cheaper food places nearby and there aren't as many crowds. But its only about 10 mins walk or just jump on a metro!

In all - I was happy with my stay. Highly recommended

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Let me preface by saying this is the first time in 20 years I have been to Paris and had no idea what 250 Euros a night would get. Needless to say I was disappointed. Although the location was very convenient (a metro station close by), front desk service was better than satisfactory (clerks spoke English which was very nice), and breakfast (although 16 Euros) was satisfying, other amenities fell short of my expectations. Here are things to consider (keeping in mind that all buildings in Paris are old and why I love the city so much): the bathroom shower stall was approximately 30" x 30" with barely room to maneuver, the carpeting in the stairway and hall areas was very worn and filthy as was the carpeting in my room, a sewer smell permeated the front lobby area, traffic noise outside my window was prominent, there was no Wi-Fi service in my room and I had to go to the lobby, and maid service lacked attention to detail. Since this is my first hotel experience in Paris, I have no other experience to compare it to. Although, when I return (which I hope to do someday soon), I will not book this hotel. Perhaps if the price reflected the level of service and quality of amenities I wouldn't feel so disappointed. But for the price, this hotel did not meet my expectations and sorely needs renovations.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank FinickyMe
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I spent two nights in Hotel Vaneau this week. The hotel is located just 150 metres from metro station Vaneau and one block from Duroc. On the corner is a great brasserie for coffee in the morning and they also do great salades and tatares for dinner. There is a supermarket across the road and a boulangerie for fresh bread and almond croissants just around the corner. The only drawback is that there is new construction work going on above and behind the metro station which makes it rather noisy if you leave the windows open. But as the rooms are well air-conditioned this need not be a problem. Slept very well.
Beds are very comfortable. The bathroom was bit dated but quite functional and generous by Parisian standards. The lift is 'cosy' but it works. Everything was very clean and the furniture was in good condition.
There is free wi-fi, but it only works on the ground floor.
The staff vary in helpfulness and cope better in French than English - but hey this IS Paris. The room was not ready when we arrived and it took almost another hour to get it ready.
Oh, the photo of the breakfast area downstairs is dated. It now looks rather tacky.
Having said that - it's quite a good hotel and I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank 6mbelowsealevel
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Nice hotel, quiet and friendly, full breakfast with newspaper, not far from metro and places of interest : good value in Paris.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank christian P