“Fantastic hotel - place to stay in Paris” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Opera Cadet Hotel

Opera Cadet Hotel
Ranked #311 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Melbourne Australia
“Fantastic hotel - place to stay in Paris”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

My son and I loved this hotel. We stayed from 26th December to 2nd January and loved it. The room was small but that's Paris. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom great (once we figured the shower out!) The breakfast was exceptional - my son loved eating chocolate croissants and hot chocolate (not things you normally eat in Australia). The rooms were cleaned every day without problem and there was free wifi which was great value. The walk to the metro was literally 30 seconds and from there you could get to anywhere in Paris very easily and quickly. There were heaps of cafes and delicatessens within walking distance of the hotel. We loved this hotel and would love one day to be able to go back there and stay. On New Year's Eve we got back after a night out and found a lovely box of chocolates waiting for us on our bed so that was nice. The only suggestion would be that when the bar opens at 4 pm so you can buy a hot or cold drink, it would be good if it could also sell some hot and cold foods for a snack before dinner.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed at this location for 3 nights. I had booked this hotel through a package deal with EuropeanDestinations.com. From the reviews I had read on here and the pictures, I felt good about my decision to stay at this hotel. We had a room on the 5th floor (509 I think it was) and it was just for my wife and myself. The room was a tad small, but I wasn't expecting a huge suite. It was comfortable and clean and served our purpose as a place to sleep, relax, and shower on our visit to Paris. All of the staff we had encountered were extremely friendly and very helpful with any question we had.

The breakfast was included as well and easily probably saved us about 20 euros a day instead of having to go out and get breakfast every morning. The breakfast featured hard boiled eggs, breads, croissants, pastries, cold cuts, cheese, and some cereals.

All and all, it was a great pick and even though it is about a 20 min walk to Notre Dame and the other attractions around there, it was a great price and the Metro was about 100 yards away and made getting around very convenient. I would not hesitate to stay here on another visit to Paris. There are also a couple of good restaurants in the vicinity for a late dinner after a long day of sightseeing.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank DaveVA08
Wollongong
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

Stayed at this hotel for four nights with my wife, It was ok, but I was kinda expecting a bit more. I'll be the first to point out that the service was impeccable, every staff member was incredibly nice and accommodating. Baring the house cleaning, they all spoke perfect English and there was nothing too big for them. Free buffet breakfast was also quite nice (good croissants and pastries); however, it was limited and, for a continental buffet with cold meats (useless to us vegetarians) they could have had cheeses, but considering it is covered in the room cost, it's not bad at all. On the whole, the hotel was good value as well.

However, that's where the positives end. The hotel was quite run down and the room was nothing special, perhaps one of the ugliest I've ever stayed in. My wife and I also didn't appreciate getting a smoking room, when we clearly asked for non-smoking. One of the lifts was also down for repairs which made using the lift annoying. The carpet on our floor (the top one) also had plastic taped to it, which made it look horrible and was quite unprofessional as well, wrecking the already outdated decor. The bed was also shocking, the worst I've ever had at a hotel; it was bumpy, shifted in weird positions and it made sleeping almost impossible. Location was also not great, whilst there were restaurants, cafe's, a Macca's and a metro station nearby (the metro station being across the road), it was too far away from most attractions (such as the Louvre, Arc de Triumph, Champs-Élysées and Eiffel Tower). In fact, to get to most attractions, you need to catch two or three trains to get to. It's a fair drive to CDG airport and is quite a trek to the Gare du Nord train station, making the location only average.

In the end, if I ever went to Paris again (which I doubt), I'd look elsewhere, it's not a bad hotel and the price is pretty good, but the hotel really is run down and the bed in our room should have been put in the tip a decade ago. The only saving grace is that most time in Paris should be spent taking in the city, not in the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank AussieSteve88
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

my wife and i have stayed in the opera cadet in december for the last five years each time for three nights, we have enjoyed each visit , the hotel is in a great location ,only a short walk to the metro and the centre of paris, staff are very friendly ,

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mauriceos
Wroclaw
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Location of the hotel was great, near to metro, shops, banks etc, v central. Professional and accomodating staff. The room was warm and comfortable, very clean. It was good to have breakfast included and it was always excellent. Free WiFi.
Air conditioning was not working in my room. No coffee facilities in room.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business