Hotel California Paris Champs Elysees
USD 1,788*
USD 1,408*
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewschamps elyseesgreat locationnice hotelroom servicegeorge vfamily roomfour starside streetchecking outbusiness tripfront desk staffstar hoteldecent sizearc de triumphsuperior roomcentral locationrooms are small
Reviewed 29 May 2012

so,
my family has being going to hotel California for years, my father in law uses this hotel for 2-3 conventions annually in paris.
this May, he was there again and we booked a room to join him.
we have used an online booking site and got confirmation for "room with breakfast included" as we ordered.
Unfortunatly, when we arrived the hotel informed us that there's a mix up and that breakfast is not included. we politely explained that this is not what we paid for and since it was saturday-sunday we cannot verify this with the online site, the hotel promised to check and let us know.

After not getting a reply we asked to speak to the night manager, so we will know if we are eligible to eat breakfast the following morning. we have tried to explain that there's obviously a mix-up and we expect a hotel that we have been using for so many years to handle the cost of 20€ per breakfast for 2 days and sort it with the booking site the following week.
this was not on the agenda of the clerk Khaled, nor of his manger who was left speechless throughout the conversation. apprently Khaled had never heard the phrase "the customer is always right" and prefered losing a regular client then costing his hotel a total of 40 € (which would have been paid for by the booking site - who we paid for the hotel through)

the location of the hotel is good indeed, but not only the rooms seems old - but also the service and attitude towards the clients.
the staff is rude and obnoxious, and you might as well rent an apartment, where u can get equal service.

Avoid at all cost!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jon D
CThiry, Directeur général at Hotel California Paris Champs Elysees, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear customer

I do apologize for the bad experience you had on your departure.
I have checked with my staff from the Front-office to the Reservations Department Manager, it cleary appeared on your hotel reservation that buffet breakfast was not included.
My staff was the most professionnal and decided to offer you a daily breakfast as good will gesture.

I thank you for your loyalty to the hotel Califonia Paris Champs-Elysées, and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back again soon.

Best regards

Clarisse THIRY,
Hotel General Manager

Reviewed 19 May 2012

We have just spent 4 fantastic days in Paris staying at the Hotel California. Location wise this hotel is just a short walk away from the Champs Elysees and the nearest metro stop (George V) which is great if you are making your own way from the airport or using the metro to get around the city.

We stayed in a deluxe room which was very clean and had a king size bed. The bathroom facilities were very good with a separate WC and Bathroom. There were tea/coffee making facilities but would advise if you like your tea in a cup bigger than an expresso shot to bring or ask for appropriate cups.

We didn't partake in the hotel breakfast until the last day of our stay for ease. At 25 euros per person we were a little disappointed with the choice available. We would recommend, if you can do, to venture out into the city and visit one of the many boulangerie's for breakfast or brunch.

We would definitely stay at this hotel again and recommend it 100% for its central location.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Have stayed here 3 times now, and overall have enjoyed each visit. The rooms are very hit and miss - since my first visit they have been refurbished so the decor and amenities are lovely. However the room sizes and room rates are incredibly variable - understandable I guess for somewhere so very central, right by the Champs Elysee I would recommend a room facing the street for a high ceilinged room with a picture window and balcony, the rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter, but smaller in my experience. My room this time was absolutely tiny but perfectly formed - a larger person would have really struggled with the bathroom! I was however incredibly disappointed with the concierge 'taxi booking' service. They advised us to book our taxis the evening before, which we did, and on arriving at the door at the agreed time were informed that the system was broken - so no taxis! An hour later we eventually flagged some down after wandering the streets of Paris, and we were all late for our meeting. Not acceptable.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LKW9
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Just two blocks off the Champs Elysee, this is a very attractive hotel with extremely helpful staff (who also speak excellent English). Rooms are very large as are the bathrooms which have updated fixtures. We didn't find anything in need of updating. The nit picks: wifi didn't work for two days. Overall, there were clearly computer problems as the business center computers didn't work one day either. One of the two elevators broke down one day and wasn't repaired until the next day. Overall, this was a very enjoyable hotel and we would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: The ones overlooking the interior courtyard with its fountain are especially attractive. However, if you like sleeping with your windows open, there can be loud conversations going well, well into the night in that courtyard.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. First of all the finishings are deluxe. But the room was quite small, and only one sink in the bathroom. Although room was small, it was highly ergonomic and an efficient use of space. I had used booking.com and gotten a great rate on what I thought would be a deluxe room (the pictures definitely showed a larger room and much larger bed). The main problem was the size of the bed was so small that my hubbie and I had to take turns sleeping on our backs/sides. Well, it was a romantic holiday and we had a nice time in Paris, making the best of it. But for 4 nights, I think they could have put us in a larger bedded room. We were offered one for "just 40euro more" per night. The other problem was a lack of concierge. The front desk staff absolutely did not know area restaurants. Although I had done considerable research on dining, I was so excited to be in Paris I just wanted to get going to dinner (it was 9 ish) so we thought we'd just ask for a recommendation...We were sent about 10 blocks away to a restaurant that was closed...actually it had been turned into a different sort of nightclub restaurant...Another night we wanted some help with directions to a chosen restaurant and they were unable to find the number or to tell us how far away--it ended up a good 45 minute brisk walk away...and was just closing because noone was there! (fortunately there was another alternative across the street which was fine) Another time they sent us to an extravagantly priced Indian restaurant, it was very nice, but our most expensive meal of the trip, and foodwise was not truly exceptional...Anyway, there was no specific concierge, just whoever was staffing the front (even a bellhop!) would answer a question. That said all the staff were very pleasant, and the hotel is quite nice, and has an awesome location. We did not eat there, there is a Mark and Spencer on the corner nearby where one can pick up breakfast items, and there is a coffemaker in the room so breakfast in the room is no problem. Like I said, although the bed was small, the room functioned well, as furnishings were high end, so no big complaints. In fact the bed and pillows were high quality. I would consider staying here but opt for the bigger room.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple