“I went there several times”

Memorial des Martyrs de la Deportation
Ranked #141 of 1,269 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on the Île de la Cité, this memorial is dedicated to the 200,000 French citizens who died in concentration camps during World War II.
Reviewed 6 May 2011

My great uncle Georges Henry Pingusson was the architect. He was a very quiet, discrete person, always turned to the human aspect of life, not to the material things.
Every time I go the the memorial, I stay a bit longer at the small window looking out to the Seine river. There, where water and sky connect, do I envision eternity. I believe it was HIS vision.
He died a long time ago, very peacefully, probably looking at that same eternity...
the visit is free, and do not take a long time, to me the memorial is a little hidden jewel of thoughts.

21  Thank PascaleV

Reviewed 10 October 2010

Would not have found it but for a good guidebook. Everything said by the other contributors is right. This is a perfectly conceived designed constructed and positioned. You cannot walk down into this structure without being overwhelmed by an awareness empathy and sorrow for the vast numbers of French people so barbarically wrenched from their homes communities and workplaces and mostly slaughtered.

16  Thank Jannerbloke
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Whilst visiting Notre Dame, I came upon this memorial by accident. I had not heard about this in any tour books and it isn't well 'advertised'.
I was completely captivated and I will hold this long in my memory as much as the other Paris sites.
It has been already been 20 years since I have been there, but it certainly hit the right note with regards to how negative the holocaust was but at the same time very uplifting being able to forgive but not forget. It is after all only by remembering that we can stop it happening again.....

17  Thank Mercedesblack
Reviewed 24 November 2009

The striking memorial is located behind Notre Dame. This site is included in the Paris Museum Pass, that is how we found it. This memorial is quite striking, the first thing you will notice is how quite everything is because the air is still. The spiked art and eternal flame truly captures the essence of emotion.

12  Thank MikLat
Reviewed 13 May 2008

Adjacent to Notre Dame, this emotional memorial is wise to stricly limit the visitors to only a few at a time. You descend into the space, feeling more and more confined and separate from freedom.

Inside, iron doors and rough walls remind you of the harshness and captivity.

A long hallway embedded with hundreds of thousands of small crystals represent each loss.

14  Thank Andre S