“Magnificent small hotel”

InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau
Ranked #568 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 8 January 2012

This is a small luxury hotel in the best part of Paris. Looking outside our window, we to the right could see Arc de Triumph and to the left the Eiffel Tower. If you like the old pompous hotel, you should not stay here. This is a small, nice hotel with attention to details. I have never seen so many attentive staff at same time in a European hotel, that was ready to give you service whenever you need it.

Lovely and high quality of the guest rooms with Hermes bathroom amenities, nice fabrics and good features such as I-pod station and good selection of english TV-channels. Perfect with free internet and a well stocked minibar. Our room was on the higher floor and was bright and elegant in a modern, but classy, way.

Restaurant was nice and with a good atmosphere. It is located inside the hotel, so at a first sight you might guess it is an empty place for a few hotel guest, but it was actually full of frenchmen enjoying the high quality of food. We was a little bit picky in our need, but they solved it without a problem.

Breakfast was very high class, they serving you whatever you need and more. I think to be Paris it is generous to have this comprehensive small buffet. Even if I praise it, because it is a small jewel, on the same time it was maybe to small in some points. The corridors was narrow and you could easily get a poky feeling, but when you come to your room that disappear directly. Not a really hidden salon where you can sit by your self in the lobby area or the bar.

Comparing with other upscale premium hotel in Paris, I think you get a good value here if you enjoy the discretion and personality that comes with a small hotel.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

As the other reviews state the rooms are small but the rooms are very clean and modern, the beds are very comfortable. The smallest of the rooms didn't bother my wife and I so much as we were probably out of the room 80% of the time. The hotel is situated in a great location so the use of cabs were minimal. Also the Concierge service was outstanding and the rest of the staff were great. I would return again to stay at this hotel.

1  Thank KD1956
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Keen to find value, location and comfort in centre of Paris we stumbled over this property and achieved two of these three criteria ! Rooms are minuscule even in premium categories but service, comfort and breakfasts were all excellent. Travel light as storage space is at a premium - sleep heavily as beds are very comfy !!

Room Tip: Check room size before booking or accepting on check in.
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This review is a bit unfair since I did stay at this property over a year ago. That said ... I have been to Paris subsequently three times and did pop into the hotel on two other occasions - most recently in October 2011. I am member of the Intercontinental's Ambassador program and had a perfect stay three weeks later at the Intercon in Bali.

The positives:
The location is excellent and the concierge service was exceptional. Not surprisingly, two concierge members were les clef d'or from the Four Seasons George V - Oliver Cambournac and Vincent Evain. I was in Paris for a wedding and they were invaluable coordinating my itinerary and even wrapping my various gifts. In September 2011, I requested - and received - travel advice from the concierge team even when I was not staying at the hotel on a subsequent Paris trip. I did forget my hat at the bell desk and the concierge did leave a message at my hotel at CDG. If not for the concierge desk, my rating of the hotel would have been a "1". The concierge team should be rated a "5" and certainly a class act.

The negatives:
All the reviews are correct. My room was small - even by European standards. If available, I typically receive an upgraded room with my Ambassador status; as another review already stated, I just hope my room was not upgraded. It was too small for even one person and there was not enough room to put one suitcase. It was also expensive, though I did have a certificate for one free weekend night courtesy of my Ambassador status. This certificate was the source of my biggest gripe.

To avoid any confusion whether this certificate would be good with the booked rate, I spoke to an Intercontinental reservation agent in America and did not book on the Internet. I went over with the agent several times whether the certificate would be good and asked that a notation be placed in the reservation that I met all the terms. When I went to check-in, the front desk manager questioned whether the certificate would be good - no language problems here, she is English. After a little back and forth, she agreed to accept the certificate. But when I went to check-out, I did not receive the free night. A different person said that the certificate did not apply to the room rate. I explained that I already went over this issue with the front desk manager and she agree to accept the certificate. This person then went to the back office and found my certificate attached to the sign-in card, with the certificate signed and dated at the time of check-in. She finally acquiesced and said that she was "doing me a favor." I went apoplectic. As a general business principle, you cannot say that you are doing me a favor when you are just doing what was previously agreed upon. While it was not their responsibility, I reviewed what had just transpired with the concierge desk and said this was completely unacceptable.

One further problem that I encountered was the room did not have a "do not disturb" card and the maid service - understandably - kept knocking on the door. This was an not optimal situation with overcoming jet-lag. The next day a "do not disturb" card was placed in my room.

As a confirmation of the service issues with this property, I was in Paris two months ago staying with friends, and went by the hotel to thank Oliver - and leave him a tip - for helping me. For the tip, however, I needed change and went to the front desk for smaller bills. The same English front desk manager (I have nothing against her and she seems like a nice person) was working at the time, but she said that she could not provide change since she did not have a key. My visit was not on a weekend or a bank holiday - it was the middle of the week - and I was going to have wait for change. Remember this hotel has a five-star rating.

Before suggesting some of the problems could be attributable to "cultural differences," I do travel internationally three to four months a year, have several French friends, and - once upon a time - I did have a French wife. After this review, I will give my regards to the concierge team when in Paris next month ... I just will not be staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: I never do this but if I were to stay at the hotel - and I am not - I would ask to see the room befo...
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank SanMoTraveler
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Hotel is quite expensive about 2 or 3 blocks from the Champs Elysees. The staff are quite friendly and answered any questions. The room was very small. I was entitled to an upgrade as an Ambassador member and if this room was an upgrade, it must have been upgraded from a broom closet. We were shocked to find a single desk chair for 2 people. Requested another chair which when delivered was anothe unconfortable desk chair. So dismayed I intend to cancell my membership.

Room Tip: Inspect your assigned room before checking in
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hopbob
IHGCare, IHGCARE at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2011

Dear Hopbob,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests.

I am pleased you did find our staff as friendly and helpful. We would like to express our sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay at InterContinental Paris-Avenue Marceau and for the inconvenience this has invariably caused you.

Brenda J.