“Fairly standard room but good breakfast” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ibis Besancon La City

Ibis Besancon La City
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Besancon
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Fairly standard room but good breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Fairly basic room - no tea/coffee/kettle, odd bathroom 'pod' which was surprisingly usable despite being tiny, and possibly the most uncomfortable desk chair in the world ever (a tiny plastic folding thing). I would be hard pushed to describe it as a business hotel for this reason alone (when travelling alone for business I like the option of staying in my room and working if I need to). Staff were very nice and the breakfast was good quality and varied. Bar area was decent too. It's a pleasant stroll along the river into the centre of the town where there's a good range of restaurants, bars and interesting street art.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

I'm staying in the Ibis Besancon La City as I type this, having failed to even get into the front door of the Citea/Adagio Access Besancon La City down the road. So, this is a quick review of what is, basically, what the title says: "just another Ibis", and a hotel I didn't actually expect to be staying in.

All Ibises (Ibii?) are much the same; you know what you are going to get - a bed, a shower, a TV, in most cases air conditioning and that's pretty much it. If you look at the stock photos on the Ibis website, you'll know what you're going to get.
This particular one has quite large rooms for a French hotel, but I think that's because it's fairly new - it's not the newest as my room is a mix of the old pattern furniture and the new.

The staffer on the front desk was friendly and helpful when I enquired about a room, although her English was limited (she was disarmingly honest about it, and happy to let me play with my equally limited French, so between us we worked things out), which as you can tell doesn't bother me too much - I'm in France, so I don't expect them to speak perfect English!
There's a "Taverne de Maitre Kanter" restaurant, which specialises in dishes from the Alsace region, on the ground floor, but it's expensive so I won't be reporting on it. Mind you, I find almost all restaurants in France expensive, so perhaps the problem is me rather than them. :)
The free WiFi is useful, although as another reviewer mentions it's rather restricted in what you can do with it - treat it as being for checking your email and general browsing and you won't be disappointed.

Overall I'm happy here: Ibis is my "standard" hotel, so I'm comfortable with the no-frills element and, let's face it, if you're in Besancon you're not here to spend the time in your hotel room!

Room Tip: If you're in tourist-mode, you might like to ask for a low numbered room (x19 or below where x i...