“East meets West”

Racine
Ranked #1 of 519 Restaurants in Reims
Price range: USD 51 - USD 107
Reviewed 4 July 2018

There aren’t many things in life that are perfect from beginning to end, and we have to accept that. However Kazuyuki Tanaka and the chefs at Racine are unable, or unwilling, to compromise on the quality needed to achieve a seamless experience. The design and intricacy of Japanese food, combined with the unyielding demands of French cuisine are either a perfect marriage, or a very demanding mistake.
We came here for lunch on a Saturday afternoon for our wedding anniversary. The standard of food which comes out this kitchen, is not only skilfully prepared, but visually beautiful. I would say now that this is not a cheap experience - €200 for two, with wine and service for three courses (including four amuse bouche). It’s actually worth the money for this Michelin starred establishment (not always the case I know) if you value culinary adventure.
They think of everything, from the the complimentary mute colours of the crockery and how the food, will visually stimulate the senses before you even begin to eat it. Wine parings are not to everyone’s taste, but at €37 per person I think it worked for this occasion.
My abiding memory is of the Maigre fish and the very delicate oriental flavours within its tender moist flesh. Nothing dominated though, neither east or west. The guinea fowl dish which followed, then anchored proceedings perfectly back to Europe, should you need reminding of the balance they’re trying to achieve here.
France has steadily become a more expensive place to visit for some years now - for numerous reasons. It saddens me to think, in perhaps five years following Brexit, that it will become truly unaffordable for the Francophiles like us, who relish celebrating our special occasions at restaurants like Racine, in a country and culture which has a genuine love of life itself.

2  Thank Johnnybammers

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

My wife and I drove an hour from Etoges for Sunday lunch. We chose the smaller of the two degustation menus and the five listed dishes were nine separate courses. The food was stunning and in the top 5 of meals I’ve ever eaten. Service was impeccable and the ambience of the restaurant matched the food experience. Wine and champagne wasn’t cheap but the food was amazing value.

1  Thank Y3130CFdavidg
Reviewed 11 June 2018

We went to racine curious and eager to taste the menu. We chose the wider tasting menu to make sure to miss nothing, and took the wine pairing as well.

I have to admit that this is probably one of the best meals I've had. Period. Not this vacation, not this year, ever.

The service was impeccable, the rhythm of dishes perfect, the wine pairings spot on (I'm quite difficult on this note and the sommelier was phenomenal, I discovered new wines), and what to say of the food itself. Refined, detailed, layered, delicious... an experience.

I think it would be worthwhile to fly over from Canada to experience this again.

Date of visit: May 2018
5  Thank Etienne L
Reviewed 7 June 2018

A meal to end our holiday turned into a sumptuous treat. A real triumph indeed, presided over by courteous and amusing staff. Calming, elegant surroundings and a feast for the senses accompanied by delicious complementary paired wines. A real highlight of our holiday. Thank you.

Reviewed 17 April 2018

I made this reservation for my husband's birthday while we were travelling in Reims. We did the pairing with the meal and were delighted with every course. Service was professional and friendly. If you are visiting Reims, make this part of your trip.

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank Patricia H

Been to Racine? Share your experiences!